Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

I finally planted this Meyer in the GROUND!

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

So far so good! It seems to actually be doing the best out of all my Meyer trees.....All I have to do is keep the inside of that greenhouse warm.....Or I shall have to stick it back into a container.

I am pretty excited about this on. Right now it smells so good in there and the flowers are becoming plentiful!

I can't even imagine what John's field smells like with all those thousands of trees in that humid and warm environment.

{{gwi:604162}}

{{gwi:604163}}

{{gwi:604164}}

{{gwi:604165}}

Mike:-)

Comments (15)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Fantastic, Mike, that's quite a statement piece :-)
    I imagine that you'll have hoyas hanging from it eventually!
    This Winter will be the real test...but you must be happy not having to haul one more citrus indoors this Fall.

Josh

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Beautiful plant, Mike. If I were to make one comment, I would say the trunk looks a bit thin to support that canopy; but I guess in a greenhouse wind is not much of a problem; and the trunk will strengthen in time. Good job.

• Scott_6B
    10 years ago

Very cool! It looks great, you will be amazed at how well it will grow. After only one year in the ground here in Massachusetts my Early St Ann satsuma is already my best looking tree. I'm not sure if he posts here anymore but I've also seen frank_zone5.5's citrus in central MA. His trees have been in the ground outside for 7 or 8 years now and they are all probably at least 6 ft or more tall. Very impressive.

What do you plan on doing to keep it from getting too cold in the winter? You would be surprise at the duration of sub freezing temps and cold (low 30's) soil temps they can handle in the winter. The key, is to not let the temp drop below 25 or 26F and have the plant tissues begin to freeze. The winter protection I use, with no real supplemental heat, is more geared for trees with a shrub habit. However, I'm not sure that will be an issue for you since you planted yours directly in your greenhouse.

Good luck, and please post updates on its progress.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh...Yup! You are right..NOt only indoors but up the darn stairs to boot! Hoya's? Actually I thought of that..lol

John...Thanks! Being an expert at growing these trees, that means a lot. By the way, lol, come to think of it, that is one skinny trunk for sure..Let's see if it fattens up a bit.

Scott, glad you like it! I usually keep that greenhouse heated all winter with a couple of space heaters... It's the day electricity might get to high to pay that I fear, but for now, I can afford it.
    It usually never gets below 60 in there all winter and on most sunny days, very warm.
    I am hoping that this tree likes it a lot compared to growing in a pot indoors all winter and out doors all summer.

I shall have to see what Frank is up to. In fact it was him and one other person here that nudged me a bit to give it a try.

I will post updates of it's progress and I promise to be honest about it, even if it dies..lol

Mike

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Hey Mike john josh Scott.

Hope all is well.

Mike I have wanted to do that to one of mine this year but things aren't progressing fast enough at my new place. If I get my new greenhouse up this fall I may do it then. Looks great!!

Mike

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

looks great. I hope things work out well. I would like to see how the tree progresses.

Thank for sharing; Steve

• tamela_star
    10 years ago

What a beautiful tree! How old is it?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tamela...Thank you. I am very excited about this and boy is the fragrance to die for in there.

Steve..I will and thank you for being interested.

Hey Mike!! What's up? I am sure you will someday. Just as soon as you get your next place, I know what you will be dealing with when you get there...OCD thinking of greenhouse.lol
    Thanks pal.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Wow, Mike, awesome! Can't wait to watch the progress of this Meyer lemon!

Patty S.

• susanne42
    10 years ago

oh i wish i can have a green house one day.
    how big is your green house? i have currently 8 citrus trees and they are little. hope they will all be with me for at least the next 15 years or so. means the green house needs to be big enough :))

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Patty..Thank you...I guess it must be very happy, I have never seen such huge blooms or this many at obe time on this particular tree..lol

Hi Susan..Someday you will own one just as I finally do! IT's an 8x10 and serves it's purpose for me. Nay bigger, it would be way too expensive to heat living up here.
    If I ever want to, I can always add on to it.

Look at the size of just one of the flowers..I am excited. John probably knows how that feels thousands of times over.lol

{{gwi:604167}}

{{gwi:604169}}

• susanne42
    10 years ago

mike your tree with blossoms look just wonderful. i wish i could smell it :) yes i think 8X10 would be just fine for me too. thinking about one that is attached to the house on the south/east corner.
    but i think it will be a coupes of years before that happens.
    was yours a ready to be built or did you design yourself?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Mike,

Two comments.... first your Meyer fruits will likely be seedless.... no bees, no seeds.

Second, a lot of your flowers seem to be lacking the signature purple base; my experience is that flowers that are all white are from immature trees and they rarely set fruit.

Best of luck.

John

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey John..Thanks

As for them not having seeds...You are right. None of the ones I picked had seeds..

As for setting fruit..I was lucky! I picked off over 25 fruit that were either full grown of well on their way. I pulled them all off because I wanted the tree to grow more fuller and the trunk to get thicker.
    The tree got fuller and still is but the trunk is doing nothing. I hope soon.

Thanks again

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Susanne, some day you will. Think positive. I never thought I would.

By the way, thanks for the compliment:-)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus