Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vp_78

Tangerine budding! Now what?

vp_78
10 years ago

We planted a young tangerine tree back in March (I'm in SoCal, Region 10 I believe). It got some pretty good transplant shock -- leaves yellowed, flowers died, and except for 5 or 6 hardy little fruits that seems to be doing ok, the fruit all yellowed when they were beebee sized (prolly not how beebee is spelled...)

Now, after following many directives from here and from our local garden shop, the tree has started blooming! There are a ton of itty bitty baby leaflets and itty bitty baby buds. Still very early -- flowers aren't anywhere close to opening -- but the tree has definitely come back to life!

The last fertilizer application was right around June 15, and we applied chelated micronutrients (GrowMore Citrus Growers Blend, just FYI). Haven't applied anything since.

And am now wondering what the next step should be. Seaweed extract? More GrowMore? Something different? Now, or once the buds get bigger? Or should we leave it alone?

Thanks in advance!

Feeling victorious (for now....)! Lol!

Comments (6)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

I take it your mandarin is planted in the ground? I would simply continue to water appropriately, then apply another fertilizer application in September. Be sure you're using a complete fertilizer, not just micronutrients. Citrus need the macro's as well as the micro's :-) If all you've applyed is Grow More, you need to apply a regular full-complement fertilizer formulated for citrus that contain adequate amounts of NPK right now. I would recommend Gro Power Citrus & Avocado Food. It has quite a bit of humus and humic acid, both great for our thinner S. California soils. You should be applying a full complement fertilizer 3 to 4 times a year. You can supplement with micronutrients in the early spring (February), and then again in June if you like, but you need to "feed" your trees. Citrus are big nitrogen users, so you need to give your little mandarin tree what it needs - NPK plus the micro's :-) I fertilize in Feb, April, June and September. If my citrus look a bit chlorotic coming out of winter (not unusual for us here), I'll add some chelated micros in February and June. And, for my more affected trees, I'll drop some Osmocote Plus in October to try to tide them over a bit through winter. Usually this will not promote a new flush in the winter, which could be prone to getting nipped if we get some temps in the 30's. So far, this has worked well for me.

Patty S.

• vp_78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for your quick reply, Patti! First of all, yes, the tangerine is in the ground.

My local garden store (LGS) sold me EB Stone organic Citrus and Fruit Tree Food. It's 7% water insoluble organic nitrogen, 3% available phosphate, and 3% soluble potash. It also says it's 1.3% humic acids, but I don't see anything on the label about humus. You think this will do the trick?

So I'll wait until September to feed, then we'll be on an appropriate schedule.

I'm so excited for the day when I can head out to my little tree and pick ripe, juicy tangerines!!!

10 years ago

EB Stone's products are just fine. If you haven't applied this fertilizer back in June, do it now, then again in September. If you did apply it along with the Grow Power, you're good until September.

And, the term for your tree is actually "mandarin". The term "tangerine" is really more of a marketing term. It was coined from the Moragne "tangierine," now known to us as the 'Dancy' mandarin, found to have been growing in the orchard of N. H. Moragne as early as 1843, in Florida. This tree is believed to have been introduced from Tangiers, Morocco by Major Atway, the previous owner of the Moragne property. The 'Dancy' mandarin, introduced to the United States back in 1867, coming from these roots, and becoming very popular here in the United States. So, mandarins originating from Morocco tend to be grouped as "tangerines", and really the only cultivar we see here from Morocco is the 'Dancy'. 'Dancy' also is used frequently to develop mandarin hybrids ("tangors", "tangelos"), when its cross-pollinated with grapefruits or oranges. We can't seem to get away from the term, "tangerine", lol!

So, you now have a little piece of "citrus trivia". What you have is a mandarin, more than likely. Unless you have a 'Dancy', which is still a mandarin, but was called a "tangerine". The commercial marketing term has stuck in the grocery store, but for us growers of citrus - it's a mandarin :-)

Patty S.

• vp_78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love learning things like that! :) I just checked the tag, and it's a "Tango Mandarin" -- how about that!!!

My husband just reminded me that we did indeed fertilize the tree with the Stone fertilizer back in May. Think it's ok to wait until September?

Sincerely,
    Nika -- Grower of Citrus (Loving that! Lol!) :)

10 years ago

Oh, you'll love your Tango mandarin, one of the best tasting mandarin cultivars going. Excellent choice. You're fine to wait until September to put down your next fertilizer application. Enjoy!

Patty S.

• vp_78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll post a progress report in a few months! Thanks Patty :)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm