Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Ponderosa Lemon progression (pics)

Hello, all!

Many of you have seen this Ponderosa Lemon sent to me by Meyer Mike.

Many of you have also read the narrative of woe that has befallen this poor little tree....

and here I was trying to grow the tree well so that I could show Mike the blooms on one

of his babies on the other side of the Nation.

A quick re-cap of the journey to recovery...

January 7th, I received the tree and made a hasty mix of screened Fir Bark, Pumice, pea gravel,

turface, perlite, Dolomitic lime, and a small amount of osmocote.

During the Winter, the tree was knocked over in its pot and had to re-establish its roots...

It then took about 4-months before I saw signs of life. But the first blooms were destroyed by

a heavy rainstorm this Spring. The tree just couldn't catch a break!

Finally, with enough roots beneath it, the Ponderosa recently pushed out leaves and blooms.

I was so happy that I took several pictures of my first citrus bloom (of any variety).

January, potted:

{{gwi:590417}}

A shot of the mix I made the night I received the tree:

{{gwi:604697}}

May, the first blooms that were knocked off:

{{gwi:590418}}

June, first leaves:

{{gwi:590421}}

June, first leaves:

{{gwi:590422}}

June, a shot of the Lemon overall:

{{gwi:556000}}

July, updated shot of the Lemon:

{{gwi:604698}}

And the blooms!

{{gwi:604699}}

{{gwi:604700}}

{{gwi:604702}}

Josh

Comments (14)

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Wow Josh!
    Look at that little cutie grow! I can't believe how much it grew in a month! And blooms now. How neat!

This poor baby has had a bumpy ride, it's great to see it doing good now!

And great shots too Josh, looks like the macro cooperated for you today. ;-)

I've been arguing with mine! lol!

Thanks for sharing!

JoJo

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

JoJo, thank you for stopping in! ;-)

I hope the tree doesn't set fruit at this tiny size...otherwise I'll need to build the shelf.

The tree that's grown the best is my variegated Pink Lemon...
    check this thing out, JoJo...! It's gotten huge!
    Oh, and ignore the earwig damage...

{{gwi:604703}}

{{gwi:604704}}

{{gwi:604705}}

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Josh:

What a wonderful thing to see first thing this morning! You know how much I love looking forward to seeing anything new here and you certainly did not disappoint me with this suprise!

First of all I knew that you would do well with this tree and that is why I sent it. I can't believe that it still has all the original leaves on it as when I sent it. That tells me you kept it extremely happy despite all the odds that were stacked against it.

Not only that, but it has pushed blossoms twice, there is new growth, and the leaves are a very nice color. I am thrilled to see it coming along.
    Thanks so much for sharing this with us and for the hard work you put into helping us and for the good job you do in caring for things I send you.

Your fertilizer routine, mix, knowing your plants needs, and of course your green thumb seems to have done the trick!

Bravo!

By the way, I also love that variegated one. It is growing in a perfectly semmetrical shape and the color looks great! I can't believe the size of those leaves Josh!

Is that earwig damage!>???????? If so, then what I thought was bees taking pieces of leaves just may be earwigs! I have millions of them things crawling about my yard this year. They are disgusting and a nuisance! They are even sleeping in all my lilies!

Jojo: You have got to get your Macro going! You know how much nice pictures are needed around here! That is a cutie isn't it. I would say that plant is only about 7 inches tall, another cutting and I know Josh is going to make that one grow into a perfect Bonsai shape with time.
    Can't wait to see your 'cutie'..lol

I will be back to see more. Got to eat breakfast.

Mike:-)

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Josh!
    Good Morning!

After all the work you've been doing for your brother, the shelf ought to be a breeze! You'll be able to make it in your sleep. LOL!

I'm so Jealous! That pink is amazing! I can't get over the color and size of the leaves!!

My poor baby is wind and sun beat!

You'll see soon.

I'm jumping on a plane today to swap my tree out for yours! ROFL!

Mike,
    Hello!
    My macro works, there's just days it doesn't want to focus, or the wind messes it up. I ran my battery down yesterday trying to get pics of a squash blossom. lol..

It's a shame about the earwig's . A garlic and hot pepper spray? We don't see very many here, thank god, they creep me out! I'd rather play with spiders! lol..

JoJo

Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning, Mike and JoJo!

JoJo, I'll start drafting up the shelf ;-)

Mike, the Ponderosa only has 2 of its original leaves...it started out with 5....
    You can see the 2 leaves in the June (overall shot) above. Although it struggled,
    I'm so glad I didn't kill it. Thank you, again!

I've had to prune the variegated Lemon to thin out the interior growth and to redirect
    the branches several times. Now that the branches are growing outward and upward,
    I'm going to let them do their thing ;-)

I find earwigs on my plants, too.

Josh

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Wow, Josh! What a labor of love. Your lemon tree is doing so well. What a rough start. And, those are gigantic leaves on the variegated Eureka! I just bought one to plant down in my lower garden. I'll be able to see it from the patio. I thought the view of the pretty yellow lemons would look very "Italian" down in my lower patio area where we have a big Tuscan style fountain. Hope mine ends up looking as good as yours does!

Patty S.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Patty, it was a frustrating winter with all the mishaps... ;-)

These variegated Eureka's are such picturesque trees. I'm very impressed with mine,
    although a little worried by its vigor! I might have to be a bit heavier handed with
    the pruners from here on out...as much as I hate removing new growth.

Something else I noticed about this variegated Eureka is that the entire tree is aromatic.
    When I'm near it, I can smell citrus - during the winter, while enclosed in the cold-frame,
    the scent was that much more apparent. If the blooms smell half as good, I'll be in heaven ;-)

Josh

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Josh,
    The blooms smell amazing! I'd like one or 2 more for a house plant! When mine was blooming in the spring, I could smell them all over the yard! I hope yours blooms for you soon!

For what ever reason, mine dropped all the fruit but one, so I've been watching it close! lol... It's almost the size of a golf ball and just as pretty as the tree!

I love the shape and color, everything about the tree and will be getting more next spring. :-)

I don't know if we have the ponderosa around here, but I will look soon. :-)

{{gwi:604706}}

JoJo

Original Author
    12 years ago

JoJo,
    I can't wait to have some of those striped lemons on my tree!
    They look so good as they're developing.

Have your trees survived the heat so far?

Josh

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Hi Josh!
    It is a pretty little lemon! I sure hope you get some soon!

This last week has been alot warmer than the normal for this time of year, and a few leaves have curled and dried. They look pretty tired and haggard. The winds don't help any. All in all, they're hanging in there O.K.

I do think I see a little new growth on the pink, so hoping it perks up soon.

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Josh, how's the ponderosa these days? The weather for you has been so nice and I can only imagine:-)

Jojo, what about yours with all that heat?

Mike

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello!

After an incredibly hot August and September, the Ponderosa is growing again.
    Now that I'm fertilizing at a higher rate, all of my citrus leaves have deepened their green.
    Here are some update pics.

{{gwi:604707}}

{{gwi:604708}}

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

You know Josh! I knew you could do it!

It looks so much better and look at that green growth! I know that mix and fertilizer is doing the trick along with your good cultural habits.
    You have a way with making any plant in needing of help very happy.

Great work. Please keep us updated and let me know when it flowers again, please:-)

Thanks so much for sharing and I hope is well with you. Enjoy the cooler weather now that it is with you. I know how much you like it and so do your plants.

Mike

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hey Guys,
    I just repotted my Ponderosa and Seedless Washington navel into the gritty mix. WHEW! Its too hot for this crap! Its 8:15pm and still in the low 70's with high humidity.

I did learn my lesson though with not planting right into the gritty mix. The Ponderosa was just a rooted cutting that I bought so it was much easier to remove the soil from the rootball but NOT THE navel!!

THe Oro is really progressing quite nicely. I think in another month or 2 they should be ready to pick. THe only down side is that I have not seen any blooms since early summer but I cannot wait for these fruits!

Andrew