Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serge94501

Espalier distance from trunk

serge94501
10 years ago

I am going to try and espalier three fairly new citrus I have in the front yard: calamondin, clementine, meyer.

1) Are the trees too developed to even try this now? (I don't think so, obviously, but I also don't know jack...)

2) How far from the trunk should I distance the wood bracing?

Thanks!

Serge

Comments (13)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Do you have any experience in this technique? Do you have a model in mind to train your trees to? Is that fence a permanent structure?

Fruit trees, in general, take very well to this technique, as long as it is properly done. I believe, though, that very few people understand how to prune ANYTHING properly, let alone accomplish an espalier. That's not a criticism, by the way.....we aren't born with the knowledge, after all. I wouldn't jump into such a project without some sort of "training " yourself! You may have already watched some tutorial videos.

Anyhow, I can't be judge of the suitability of these particular trees going by the picture. It appears that the plant closest to the camera is small enough. The branches need to be very supple and springy.

So, Serge....are you feeling very brave? What you are proposing is not for the faint of heart, lol. I love LOVE love to perform detail pruning and learned the best way possible....in fruit tree orchards. I used to conduct pruning seminars and demos and have been known to knock on strangers ' doors asking for permission to prune a tree or shrub that I had spied from the street. It's so much fun whipping a small tree into a thing of beauty. Crazy!

I'm all for it, as long as the plants are good candidates and as long as you've done some research. You can't just strap branches to that trellis. My fingers are itching to help you! Do you have a good pair of by-pass hand pruners? I'd place the trellis no closer than 6-8 inches to your tree, unless they are very small. You need to give the plant room to grow. Air circulation is essential, too.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 10:35

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I am assuming that you are retired with a lot of gardening experience to the point of being a certified master gardener. You are looking at a full time job at $0 per hour with loads of overtime pay at 3X pay.

I wish you good luck, but I think the trees will look much better grown in there natural inclination and you will get a lot more fruit and it will come sooner.

The problem espalier growing is that you may get frustrated to the point that you'll dig up the contorted tree and won't want to try growing again the regular way and you will miss out on what could have been an excellent citrus decade or 4

Steve

10 years ago

That's more than a slight exaggeration, don't you think, poncirusguy? And also not based on the facts! One does need some training and rudimentary horticultural knowledge, but espalier is NOT difficult to initiate and though it takes some pruning now and again to maintain it, it is not burdensome at all for anyone who is interested. Three citrus shouldn't take anymore than twenty or so hours......A YEAR!

It's a wonderful art form as well as very utilitarian. Citrus are one of the handful of trees that are ideal for this technique.....heck, there are espalied orchards!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

rhizo_1

I have to agree with you on that. It is at least a moderate exaggeration. I am attempting 2 espalier project with extreme difficulty. I will probably abandon them and rip the plants out in frustration as they can only fit as espalier trees. However mine are sweet cherry and american persimmon.

For people like you ,and I who are experience gardeners, the art of espalier can be tricky at best. For others who are just starting an espalier project it can be down right intimidating.

serge, you have stated that you are new to citrus. If you are a garden guru with a lot of experience, I would say give it a try but be very patient. If you are new to gardening. Well only you know yourself well enough to try or not to try.

I have done very high level white water kayaking (grand canyon 20000 CFS) It is no different than gardening. In over your head you get trashed. 75% of whitewater boaters quit after getting trashed. Same with gardening. For my self I kayak in the 25% crowd but garden in the 75% crowd. I would handle the espalier challenge poorly. If you handle challenges well they you should probably go for it. Your decision.

Just remember Gardening is one of the dirties, bloodiest competitive contact sports.

• serge94501
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The deal is that these trees are next to our driveway and if left to grow on their own they will likely make it difficult to get in and out of the car - that's why I was thinking espalier.

I am a novice at gardening for sure, but am willing to cut into my golf time (600+ hours a year) to learn how to do this. I definitely appreciate the warnings as well as the encouragement!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

golf time (600+ hours a year)

Amen brother. You don't need to cut into your golf time. I have the same situation at my place. I cut off the fore and aft limbs at the trunk and keep the left right limbs in place. This is not espalier but is similar. The trees will grow a lot faster and produce sooner this way. They will catch more sunlight and you only have to prune in late winter. You can still use your trellis to pull limbs that stay a little and you'll end up with good tree.

For god's sake don't miss a tee time

10 years ago

Serge, please don't fear this. Your situation is ideal for espallier. It will not be time consuming and there's no reason why it should be frustrating. BUT....you do need to seek out someone in person or some good YouTube videos to help you on your way.

It is NOT rocket science nor whitewater canoeing. It's more like learning how to do needlework. A child can learn the techniques.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

rhizo_1 Whitewater kayaking is needle work. The link below is a videio of the exact river exact location and water level. I would run this about 10 times a year for 10 years.

ITS A BLAST

SERGE GOLFS 600+ HOURS PER YEAR
    I KAYAK 600+ HOURS PER YEAR

We both grow citrus. The video is a lot of fun go ahead and right click and choce open in new tab
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezfr1ZpCESE

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezfr1ZpCESE

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    10 years ago

Excellent thread!

Actually, i have been thinking that getting citrus growing and established was a great deal like golf! Every mis-step leads to efforts to overcome. Every good step leads to the opportunity to get through.

I've never felt comfortable with kayaking skills to that level, so will just cut those crossing lime branches and let my star jasmine and grape vines "espalier" at their own free will!

George K. - ( only 20 hours so far this year)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Serge, don't be afraid to try to espalier your citrus trees. You'll need to move your trellis much closer to both trees. Don't worry if your trees are not severely espaliered, but focus on light pruning of branches that are growing outward towards the driveway or towards the trellis, pruning those branches down to the trunk (but not into the branch collar). That should leave you with branches just growing to the left and right of the trunk.

I would also try contacting someone from your local Master Gardener's organization or from your local California Rare Fruit Growers to see if they have an expert on espaliering fruit trees to give you a hand to get started. It is actually very easy with citrus, they are very forgiving, and you don't have to make them severely espaliered. Just make sure your trellis's are well anchored to support your trees. I've included a photo that gives you a very good idea of how you want to position your trellis as well as how to secure it. And, how it should look espaliered. This tree was probably much smaller when it was started, but you can still prune yours to the trellis without much difficulty. Your trees look great, btw!

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Espalier

10 years ago

Great help, Patty. Thanks for your input.

Serge, espallier training is a very popular pruning technique. I've done (and maintained) Camellia, Rose, Ligustrum, Pyracantha, grapes, dwarf apples, peaches, plums, loquat and more. I've never "operated" on a citrus since I don't live in a citrus climate.....but citrus is one of the most commonly pruned trees or shrubs in this style.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Oh, I would LOVE to do a Camelia espalier, Rhizo! Citrus are pretty easy. I think the thing to remember is to try to prune branches so you have a general, lateral scaffold appearance (branches growing forwards or backwards removed, smaller lateral branches removed), but NOT to tip prune, as citrus are tip bearers, so we don't want to remove budding branches which will be producing the flowers and then fruit. And, I personally prefer not to over-prune citrus espalier trees. I like them a bit fuller. I think they're prettier that way, there's more canopy thus more energy for fruit (and better tasting fruit), as well as more leaves to protect the trunk and branches from sunburn. Just my preference, and, it makes for less exacting pruning work. Excellent for a espalier novice! I am going to try to squeeze in a couple of espaliered trees in my little paraterre garden - a Bearss lime, as they tend to grow in this manner to start with, as well as a Santa Teresa Femminello lemon. I already have an espaliered Anna apple, which I don't really think lends itself to an espaliered form, but it was there when we moved in, so I'm trying to maintain it (and not very well, I will say.) Now, to find room...

Patty S.

• serge94501
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, great contributions! Thanks Rhizo, Steve, Patty, et al.

Those trellises are just laid out - not yet driven in the ground. I am contemplating the espalier and thought it would help to put them there to visualize things.

My only concern now is that the espalier format might make it more tempting for the passing middle school kids to raid the trees...