Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcamp30144

citrus gain by bgi.

The nutritional makeup looks really good and I'm going to switch fertilizers and try this. Will keep you posted on the results a bit just let me know if anyones used it before.
Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 15:12

Comments (14)

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Front of bag

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

"Used by commercial growers"???? I seriously doubt any commercial CITRUS grower would use this; at least not for citrus. It is a clever use of words; note it does not say citrus growers, nor does it say used for what. I am a commercial citrus grower; and I might use this product; but I would not use it for citrus. There is a lot of sulfur in this product, which will lower the pH of your soil; so you should keep that in mind. The NPK ratio is far from ideal for citrus; it should be closer to 5-1-3 for most citrus and 3-1-2 for Meyer lemons.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks johnmerr I'm just trying it because it is more iron and magnesium. I know commercial growers probably do not use this. I've tried about every kind a citrus fertilizer just trying this to see what it does. Always looking for the next best thing. But you're right the good ol basics work the best with epson salt vinegar and a nice fertilizer. So far the best one that my trees response to is peets citrus feed mixed with vinger and Epson sait.
    Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 19:59

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

The Epsom salt is only Magnesium... which is important; but there is very little magic in Epsom salts; it is more of an old wives tale. Still I put Magnesium Sulfate on my roses a cupla times per year and at the same time I throw a little on my garden citrus and on my coffee trees. Personally I don't like vinegar; when you put any type of acid on a basic soil... and that includes acetic acid (vinegar) the reaction produces a salt... and that is seldom a benefit. If you want to acidify your water, add a little phosphoric acid... multi-beneficial; if you want to lower the pH of your soil, add soil sulfur.

• Asrar
    9 years ago

Thx for info.
    For my meyer L. The closest ratio available in the market is
    4-1-3 (im using) or 8-2-6
    3-2-5 organic
    7-2-5 osmo
    5-2-7 Bayer
    2.3-1.2-3.8 citrus focus
    --------------
    What is your opinion ? Thx again.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Osmo... or if you like organic, Espoma Citrus Tone.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I am using Miracid 30-10-10 in combination with a natural (sez so on de bag) 8-0-4. to get as close to the 3-1-2 for my Meyer lemon trees. I probably comes out closer to 30-10-10 + 8-0-4 + 8-0-4 + 4-0-2 = 50-10-20 At half strength for a 25-5-10. Now your own urine has a 3-1-0 ratio and can be used to add N and P to the one you are using to increase. the first 2 anemic number in its formula. 1 part urine to 10 parts water with 2 tablespoon of vinegar to bring the PH down. Eat a low salt diet and drink regularly. You will be what you eat.

Steve

Original Author
    9 years ago

So if I need 5-1-3 ratio and I use citrus gain that is 8-3-9 I would have to bring the nitrogen up to 45. So it would have to be 45-3-9 for my citrus to take in 100% of the 3-9. But that said I would risk nitrogen burn if I took it that high. So if I add nothing to citrus gain it would only take up 5-1-3 even though its 8-3-9. So the 3 part nitrogen is just going to waste because ratio is off have I got this right.
    Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 23:37

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Steve,
    What you do and how you do it is so foreign and so almost irrelevant to what the real world does that at times we almost don't want to hear it. If if works for you, we are happy for you; but to give it as advice to people who are not you is at best, bad advice. There are people here who have literally thousands of years of experience who give advice supported by years or experience. Please do not interject your sometimes ridiculous experiments as if they are somehow science

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Trace,
    Don't over think this..just buy a good citrus fert and apply it according to label instructions.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol not trying over think it lol but atleast I got it. I'm going to try the citrus gain a few times to see how it goes. I understand what your saying about to aluminum sulfate I will keep eye on PH thinks for all the help johnmerr. Steve is different but cool some of his ways are out there. Steve Ilove your light buckets they really work well. Citrus Is learning curb I know a lot but dont know everything learn day by day. Steve take ppl options with a grain of salt everyone has one.
    Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 1:06

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Ever since I started using my concoction people have been saying That steve is full of piss and vinegar. I feel great.

Steve

P.S. I did a lot of Google on this and what I said holds water

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 23:14

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm using this with citrus gain to up the nitrogen of the mix.
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Hi Trace, You got the idea and are on the right track

Steve