Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateanne_gw

Hanging branches on young tree

kateanne
10 years ago

Hi, I am about a month into my first citrus tree, a clementine. Its a young tree, maybe a year old? In the last month I have seen a significant amount of new leaves and branches, and it overall seems healthy, as far as I can tell other than two yellowish leaves.
My question is, It has two branches that are hanging down rather far, and are looking like they are putting stress on the join, where they meet the branch that they come off off. Sorry I couldn't get an image of the joint, but they are about half an inch up from where the sturdy branch meets the trunk. That branch seems sturdier, in that it is still pointed upward, but these branches are longer, thicker and lusher than it is.
I read that you are not supposed to prune citrus until after it fruits, but these branches look ungainly, and would not support any fruit, or even their own weight if they continue to grow. I am nervous to tie them up to the stake supporting the tree as that might restrict air circulation. Some of my other plants are having pest problems due to some gifted plants that were infested, but baby Clem here has seemed resistant to pests so far, so I am hesitant to create an environment that might bring them in.

Comment (1)