Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Are aeroponic systems good for rooting citrus cuttings?

I was wondering if anyone had any experience rooting cuttings in any of the home-made or purchased aeroponic systems (so called 'cloning machines').

These systems allow the cuttings to more or less hang suspended in the air while the ends are kept constantly misted with nutrient solution.

One can place heating pads under the systems to warm the solution.

A clear plastic lid can be set over everything to keep the environment humid around the leaves and upper parts.

Would this approach be any more effective than the traditional method of sticking the cuttings in a soil/perlite mixture in a pot and putting a baggie over it?

Comments (14)

• serge94501
    10 years ago

I checked their website and they list 100s of trees and shrubs rooted with their system...I saw no citrus. Maybe I missed one, but...

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Dave...Hello:-)

Hope you are enjoying your summer:-)

I saw a guy rooting citrus cuttings this way and he was very successful with it! Give it a try...

Take care

MIke

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike,

A friend has a particularly tasty hardy citrandarin (in the ground) that we are trying to reproduce. I've had not-so-good luck with grafts onto my citrumelo, but I think I did them too late.

I have a few cuttings rooting in a large plastic storage container and I think there are maybe two that are now forming roots.

I was intrigued with this aeroponic setup though.

• krismast
    10 years ago

Dave, please keep us updated on that Citrandarin! Hoping someday it will be more widely available.

Kristopher

Original Author
    10 years ago

Kristopher,

The mystery Citrandarin (possibly US 852) has about 20 fruit set on this season after an incredible bloom.

Several of us are trying to graft and take cuttings from it this summer.

My bud grafts (onto existing citrumelo) were not terribly successful. Maybe 50% stayed green, and of those, some may have been 'blind' buds which will not grow. I'm trying to force the green ones into growth right now.

Looks like I may have several cuttings that are actually rooting. These are in a large plastic semi-clear storage container with about 3" of soil/perlite mix. The box sits outdoors in mostly shade.

I'm also growing several Flying Dragons in pots from seed as potential rootstock for future budding attempts.

Photo by Boca Joe.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 15:39

• johnorange
    10 years ago

I haven't tried to root citrus but I read a neat description of a tchnique called "air layering" that works for plants that don't root easily. You basically cut part way around the bark of a branch you wish to root but you leave the branch intact on the tree. You wrap peat inside plastic at the site and keep the peat moist for some period. Roots will form at the cut you made in the bark and you can eventually snip off the branch below the cut and pot it. Google the term for more detailed instructions..

Original Author
    10 years ago

Since the plant I'm trying to root is actually in someone else's yard, I can't monitor an air-layer. And I don't get up there more than once a summer. Maybe twice.

So I took cuttings. Two are now rooted. Perhaps more will still root.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

hey Dave. Hope you and Joe have good luck reproducing that one. sounds like it is a good one.

mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike,

I was not present for the big 'tasting' event. There were only two fruits last year. Perhaps this year they will be able to get many more to ripen and I can put in a request for one!

I know it will be a while before my rooted cuttings will bear...years. Still, I'm thrilled to have at least two clones of this plant -- whatever it is.

Maybe we'll go into full production and offer plants on Ebay. LOL!

10 years ago

That wasnt very nice of Joe to not share with you LOL.

I still blame you VA guys for all my tropical plant passions especially that Thai Giant.

Flying Dragon overwinters in the ground here with no problems at all. Maybe when you start selling it Ill give it a try here and test it out.

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds good Mike! Too bad you're not out here. We trade a lot of stuff back and forth.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it looks like I got one of my bud grafts to take.

This is a Citrandarin grafted onto one of my Citrumelo trees.

Sorry for fuzzy image, iPhone shot, shakey ladder and mosquitoes attacking me!

{{gwi:605069}}

10 years ago

Woo Hoo. great job Dave. on your way now.

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I hope there's enough growing season left for this shoot to mature and harden off before cold weather comes.