Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

What is the best and easiest way to treat root rot?

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

I bought an Oro Blanco grapefruit back in the spring and after watching it defoliate, I thought it was a goner. I got another one wich is flourishing now. It is starting to put out new growth and I am hoping for flowers since the original tree aborted 3/4 of them and then ones that hung on, were deformed. I have saved the original tree but I don't think it will be long before it is in trouble again. I am going Monday to buy a citrus mix that is made by a local nursery that I tust. I bought my Improved Meyer lemon tree from this nursery and it came in there mix which I have checked all summer and I have been very happy with how well it dries out. That tree is over 6ft tall, and during our hot spells, I would have to water every two days or sometimes every day.

Can anyone tell me how to treat root rot on my Oro? I know with house plants you use sterilized pruners and remove the dead/decaying roots, and then do I apply something to them to stop it from rotting until the root heals over? I also know that you are supposed to give them a break from water right? Any help would be great!

Andrew

Comments (4)