Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP with my new meyer lemon tree

Posted by lemontreenewbie California (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 15:55

Hi, any advice you all could give me would be greatly appreciated. I have tried reviewing other topics and the web in general, but am overwhelmed by different opinions, and conflicting advice.

I am a complete novice. I have a townhouse with a nice patio, and have recently bought several plants, and two citrus, a Valencia orange and a Meyer lemon. I has to search for a month for one of any size, they are all sold out in my area. It is 15 gallons, not sure how old.

1) I was told to water it only when top soil is dry 4 inches down, likely once a week or so. I bought a meter and check every other day, and it seems to register dry every three days or so. I water well and slowly with two watering cans of water. Some water drains out. It's averaged 80+ degrees three weeks I've had it and it gets 6-8 hours of good hot sun. Am I overwatering? Is my meter flawed?

2) It has one large green lemon, two small egg sized one, and maybe 20 tiny ones in clusters. But, no flowers anywhere. When should it flower? I really want lots of lemons, which is why I got such a large tree, but I see others at nursery now in bloom.

3) should I fertilize it? It says on tag attached that fertilizing while setting fruit may cause fruit drop. What does that mean? Am I supposed to wait until harvest to feed it. That would be months away.

4) leaf miners are rampant here, and the nursery says they can't stop it. It only on a few leaves, so I sprayed it with spinosad, but I believe that has stained the leaves now. I wiped it off all the leaves after a week, and some seem discolored now. Should I be concerned? Should I continue to spray?

I will post photos next.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP with my new meyer lemon tree

Smaller Valencia

o

Cluster, and you can see how spinosad stained leaves

o

Leaf miner?

o

Miner?

o

Also, what fertilizer should I buy? Thanks!

o

Your trees look very nice. Knowing what kind of soil your trees are in is very important. Pots are very small compared to in ground and I do not like my soil dry more than an inch or less. If you know your soil is well draining you can water more often. We also need to know temperature, humidity, windy/not, rainfall. Then others in California can fine tune your water/feed program.

I live in Cincinnati and have to break all the rules that keep other's trees alive.

Best of luck and welcome aboard the citrus forum.

Steve

o

Almost any chemical, if applied when the temps are too high will burn leaves. The damage you ask if it is leaf miner is only physical damage. Get some Foliage Pro or Espoma Citrus Tone and apply according to label instructions, and what looks to be a mineral deficiency (the light spots in the leaves) should disappear with time and patience.

o

Almost any chemical, if applied when the temps are too high will burn leaves. The damage you ask if it is leaf miner is only physical damage. Get some Foliage Pro or Espoma Citrus Tone and apply according to label instructions, and what looks to be a mineral deficiency (the light spots in the leaves) should disappear with time and patience.

o

Thanks for the replies! I am located in Los Angeles. There is not much rain. It will be a hot summer here. We easily top the 90s weeks in a row.

So, John I will get the fertilizer. I should feed it now even with the baby fruit on it, and that won't make the fruit fall off?

I am not planning to repot it in larger pot until after I get a harvest. I am terrified of messing it up.

o

• Posted by Mr.Z 10a/9b (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 19:49

The damage looks like it is from malnutrition rather than the spinosad...lemon meyers are notorious drama queens when they don't get enough minerals. Keep all spinosad sprayings during evening times and remember not to do it when you have blooms or else you will kill those bees we need in cali. I don't see any leaf miner damage at all. Those missing chunks of leaves look like grasshopper damage.

o

Thanks mr z. I probably shouldn't have sprayed at all. I am trying to find out answers to my questions I listed in the original post because I have gotten so much conflicting information at all the nurseries I visited looking for a large meyer. One person said water daily, another said once every two weeks, one said all citrus in containers die, another said lemons only bear fruit once a year....it ridiculous, and they are supposed to be experts.

I will not spray anymore if you all feel it isn't significant damage, I just don't know anything, so forgive the beginner questions. And I am reading all I can. I appreciate any advice.

Will it bloom again? Should I feed while fruits are on like in picture? I guess john meant I should since he said follow directions on label?

Should I repot before I get any ripe fruit? Will it cause drop? I am so confused.

I notice on some other threads that some newbie didn't take the advice very well. I appreciate ANY time any of you experienced gardeners take to respond to me, and will do exactly as I'm told. :).

The spots weren't there until I sprayed the spinosad. The leaves were perfect except for the one that were lightly damaged. I think it was that that caused the spotting.

I really need to know when it might bloom again so I know if I'm doing something wrong. Like, it could have fruit and blooms at same time, right?

o

I guess I am so concerned because there are no blossoms on my meyer or my Valencia. I chose from 15 trees, and none of them had blossoms, but the smaller 5 gallon ones all had blossoms.

o

I noticed from experience that my trees will bloom and fruit when ever they feel like it up here in the north...I have 4 Ponderosa trees that never bloom at the same time..

All of mine bloom, and have fruit on them at the same time..
The only thing I can say about re potting is that the ultimate best time to do so is in the spring for me, but for you I suppose anytime of the year other than when it's brutally hot, like the peak of summer.

Your tree will probably never have a moment when their is just leaves as mine don'tever, so I never worry about loosing fruit or buds...

If you transplant in a way so as not to disturb the roots then you will loose nothing. If you do a bare root, then you might loose fruit and buds depending on your process.

I think your tree looks awesome, and as said, might be missing a nutrient or two..A good fertilizer will correct that.

The damage you see looks mechanical and as stated grasshopper...Have you ever seen a grasshopper eat a leaf away? Amazing..

I hear you about people not appreciating the help or just plain ole rude, but the amount of people that do appreciate it far out way those that don't We can add you on to the list of appreciative ones)

Mike

Good to have you...

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 8:26

o

Hi Lemontreenewbie. I also wanted to welcome you here. I too am new to growing citrus . I started with three trees and in a few weeks they have grown to seven and about to increase again. You will find so much valuable information here. At first I was overwhelmed like you but Mike, Brian, Steve,Cory and others are very knowledgable . They are very willing to share their experience and expertise . I have learned so much from them and they are very nice people . I have several of my trees in the 5-1-1 mix and they love it. The rest will be repotted as well. I bare rooted them and they are growing very nicely in the 5-1-1 . No loss of flowers .It is light and drains well. As per the advise I have a feeding schedule and give them 1 tsp of dyna gro foilage pro with a cap of vinegar in a gallon of water every Friday. I water in between if needed. Mike suggested using a wooden dowel in your pot to check if it needs water. That works well for me.I have had some bud drop but Brian has told me that is normal for young trees as they will only retain what they can support. Kind of natures way of balance I guess. Recently I got a greenhouse so I can overwinter them but of course you don't have that problem where you live.. I too have found that the nurseries do give conflicting advise . Listen to those I mentioned here. They have been very successful and know what works. I really ,really appreciate them . Best of luck with your trees. Maggy

This post was edited by maggyby on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 16:36

o

You're getting very good advice here, much better than at most nurserys. But don't fault the staff there too much, the pay at most nurserys and garden centers is at or just a little above minimum wage for most of the staff, so don't expect much. Some of them who love plants will educate themselves anyway, but most just repeat what they heard someone else say, if that.
You've done the best you can so far by coming here to get information. Welcome and Good Luck!

o

Yes, go ahead and feed it now with the fruit you have. For future reference if you give a Meyer too much Nitrogen when it is blooming, it will often drop the flowers and make more leaves; the time to feed it is after the fruits have set.

o

Thanks so much! I am off to find FP locally. I will also roll the dice and do vinegar as well. It never occurred to me that the tap water could be an issue. I just killed two hydrangeas the I had in an acid soil mix, couldn't figure out why. Perhaps is was the tap water. The nursery is certainly not watering with tap water, and I wonder if there water is different.

I assume since the tree is doing well the soil is okay. It seems pretty rocky and sandy so perhaps it is already in a better mix than say, a simple potting soil. But it is tight. It is hard to stick in the water meter. I have to force it. Is that bad.

o

If you have a problem sticking the meter into your mix, then I would be concerned...It should be porous, so porous you can stick your fingers through like slicing butter...Easily and without a struggle...

How will oxygen feed the roots if the soil is that tight?
How will disolved salts escape that kill fine roots?

Tap water can do damage if not careful..It is alwasy good to see what your tap water is made of and pH..

MIke

o

I got the foliage pro and vinegar in today. Wouldn't it be wild if they started blooming in a few weeks? I shudder to think if I had followed label instructions or nursery advice. The leaves also seem to uncurl when I water the tree.

Another question, since the tree is over 5 feet should I give more Foliage pro? There are no dosing instructions for size of tree on bottle? Doesn't a bigger tree need more?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here