Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael__ames

Lesser of two evils: low light or dry air?

michael_ames
10 years ago

I'm growing a dwarf kishu mandarin in a container - the plant is about 2.5 ft tall, planted in a fast-draining, 5-1-1-type mix. My apartment doesn't have any outdoor access, so I'm currently relegated to keeping it indoors, which I know isn't ideal.

For indoor citrus, lots of light and relatively high humidity are ideal, right? I'm in a situation where I can provide one or the other, but not both - and wondering if anyone knows which I should prioritize.

Location #1 (current location) - Not dry, but not tons of light:
-Directly in front of a large bay window in my apartment, facing north; some western light comes later in the day. I live in the pacific northwest, and keep the windows open frequently, which means it is never very dry in the house. No central heating/cooling so there's no forced air used.
The mandarin has grown in this location, but I wouldn't say it's thriving.

Location #2 - Lots of sun, but dry air
-I can bring the plant to my office and sit it in front of massive, tall, south-facing windows where it would get direct sun all day (in the summer, at least). But during business hours central A/C or fans would be circulating air in the office, making the environment rather dry.

Before I lug this to the office I wanted to see if anyone had any experience which suggests the relative importance of sun vs. humidity.

(Hopefully I'll be able to get an apartment that lets me put the plant outdoors sometime soon - but for now, these are the two options I have to work with!)

Comments (7)