Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
espoma organic orchid mix for dwarf citrus trees?

Posted by msugrl2010 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 16:09

Who has used the espoma oganic orchid mix for their dwarf citrus trees? did it work wel? or should I stick to a perlite/potting mix that drains well?

Here's a picture of the orchid mix I'm talking about. I'd appreciate anyone's opinions on it!

http://www.buy.com/prod/espoma-027042-organic-orchid-mix-8-quart/226619108.html

msugrl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: espoma organic orchid mix for dwarf citrus trees?

some orchid mixes are fairly course, and some are more fine. not sure about the one you're asking about.

o

Hi Msugrl

Just because this mix works for some may not mean it would work for you. It would all depend on the micro climate you provide for your tree and cultural habits.

It's easy to over water in very fine particle mixes and as the particles get bigger, it becomes less of an issue. You may have to be the best judge of this depending how long it takes for your mix to dry out and what kind of environment you provide for your tree. That is just a tip of the iceberg.

I would familiarize yourself with the concept of a well draining and porous mix and then judge what type of mix will work best for you, but more importantly, which is best for the overall vigor of your plants.

Mike

o

Thanks for everyone's advice! I think I'll get this mix and then add in the perlite to make sure it drains well enough.

Mike, what will be the warning signs that its not draining well enough (before the tree is past the point of saving?) so I can save it and fix how the soil drains if it comes to this.

Houston, I'm talking about the orchid mix at the link below. Ever used it?
http://www.buy.com/prod/espoma-027042-organic-orchid-mix-8-quart/226619108.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here