Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About My Citrus Trees

Posted by rdj1234 Nebraska (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 8, 10 at 16:18

Hello Everyone,

I live in Nebraska and I am growing three citrus trees(Grapefruit, Key Lime, and Lemon). They started growing in Spring 2009, and about a week ago I started putting them outside. Do you think that they might grow fruit if I continue to keep them outside when the weather is right for them? I only keep them outside when the temperature is above 60 degrees. I have them in 12" pots in dirt that came from my backyard. I water them whenever the dirt looks dry on top, which is usually everyday.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

rdj1234

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About My Citrus Trees

ok be ready for a bunch of advise, but hang on cause there are a lot of good people here who will get you going.

a few things

first they arent old enough for fruit. in a couple years they might flower in spring and then they might set fruit. the age at which they will is up to the tree itself. But from my experience 3-4 years is typical.

second I would keep them out at all times until the night time lows are getting close to low 50's or high 40's bringing them in and out a lot will stress them tremendously.

third check out the container forum or even read up here on the ideal soil to use and water habits. The dirt will compact and hold more water than you think and essentially drown the roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here