Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
partyprincess_gw

Please post pics of your citrus leaf problems-help w/ ID of cause

partyprincess
13 years ago

Hi All

Please post pictures of your citrus tree leaves that show signs of pests, disease or other problems. If you see a picture and can help identify the problem and can offer a solution please do so. I would like to get pictures of different leaves and their problems so those of us new to citrus can learn to identify problems early and treat as soon as possible. I am sure that all of the issues that I have with my trees have been dealt with on the forum but I am having a hard time locating the answers to my questions. So I thought I would try to start a thread specifically about leaves since that is where I notice my problems with my citrus first. Thank you in advance for all input.

This is from my Meyer Lemon - this is the only leaf that looks like this at the moment. I pulled it off. This is the front of the leaf- the spots are black

{{gwi:603339}}

This is the back of the same leaf above- it is creased and torn because I sort of crushed it and threw it away before I decided to take a picture

{{gwi:603340}}

This is the front of a leaf from the Meyer still on the tree - there are several like this on the tree - dark spots are rust in color

{{gwi:603342}}

This is the back of the Meyer leaf above - damage is rust in color

{{gwi:603344}}

This is my Mandarin tree - attempting to show damage done by Swallowtail butterfly cats- I did not know what they were and I pulled them off and smashed them. Later I learned they would have become beautiful butterflies. I am going to try to find some kind of host plant and next time I will relocate them to that plant if I find them. They eat leaves FAST

{{gwi:603346}}

This is what the leaves of my Mexican Lime looked like when I got it - new growth is not curled and looks good. Just curiuos what caused the curling. The residue on the leaf is from spraying with fish emulsion last evening. Check the leaf with the hole - to the right of the hole - is that a red mite?

{{gwi:603348}}

This is the front of a leaf from my Lemon Drop tree.

{{gwi:603350}}

This is the back of the same leaf

{{gwi:603352}}

Last night I sprayed all with fish emulsion/water on the tops and underneath leaves. Pictures were taken today. I have just started using FP 1/2 tsp in 2 gallons of water this week. I scrubbed the Meyer leaves with soapy water last night - the rust spots did not come off.

Comments (59)

• malcolm_manners
    13 years ago

I don't see any rust mite damage, but the 'Meyer' leaves look like they have greasy spot disease (Mycosphaerella citri). Where are you? Did you get the tree recently? If you're not in the humid Southeast, and the tree did come from the Southeast recently, the disease will likely disappear and never show up again. On the other hand, if you live in greasy spot country, a single copper+oil spray in mid-summer will usually control it quite well.

The smaller leaves with the creamy yellow specks appear to have a scale insect, although not one that we see here in central Florida. Can you scrape them off easily with a fingernail? If so, you should probably spray with something for scales. Depending on the species, oil alone may do it, or you may need a true insecticide.

Malcolm

Malcolm M. Manners, Ph.D.
    John and Ruth Tyndall Professor of Citrus Science
    Florida Southern College
    Lakeland

• partyprincess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Malcolm

Thank you so much for your input. I live in Fort Worth, Texas. I noticed that black spots on the Meyer after we had a period of over a week with rainy and humid conditions. There is one other leaf on the Meyer that looks like the picture. The Meyer was purchased a few months ago here in Fort Worth. I am not sure if greasy spot is common here in Texas or not. The weather here now is very hot (100F) and dry - at least this week.

Those yellow specks on the small leaves (Lemon Drop tree) do not scrape off easily. I have tried to scrape them and they do not come off. I will investigate to find pictures of scale to compare to and do a treatment.

I really appreciate the help.
    Kim

• partyprincess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is the latest pest discovered on my Lemon Drop tree this morning. I have pulled of 3 of these things and squashed them. Does anyone know what these are? I am feeling somewhat overwhelmed by all these pests/disease issues! GRRRR

Kim

{{gwi:605757}}

{{gwi:605759}}

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi partyprincess,

How come you don't get some good fish emulsion and consistently spray your plants down with it in water?

It works..No bug except for flies here likes the emulsion, and it coats any harmful insect with oils while it shines your leaves..Why not enema oil while this stuff suffocates any pest while it also treats diseases?

If they were my trees, you bet your boots I would be spraying them tomorrow..

Mike

• partyprincess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Mike

I have some fish emulsion. I also went today and got BioNeem oil. This evening it is supposed to cool down to 77F. I read on one of your old posts that you have used a tiny bit of neem with FE and maybe some other ingredients to spray your trees. Is that right? If so could you repeat the recipe here? I would like to spray everything this evening after it cools off some. I am anxious to try some treatments. Thanks!
    Kim

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

One more thing.. The FE alone may not treat any disease, but that is where the Neem oil comes in..:_)

• partyprincess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, everyone has had a nice FE bath, including me! I am hoping I don't find any new unidentified critters tomorrow. Do I need to rinse them off in the morning before the sun gets hot?

Kim

• partyprincess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike

I have to say I am feeling much better. I have been so frustrated lately after working so hard to get my citrus in the right mix, get my Foliage Pro, not over-water, etc. only to discover now that I have a multitude of pests and possibly some disease in my trees. While I was doing my FE treatment tonight I was really having a pity-party for myself. I came inside and looked over some old posts regarding the use of Neem oil (I am really worried about using it right now because it is 100F during the day here). I ran across some old posts of yours from late 2008 and you seemed to be battling the multiple unknown pest issue then. Since I have seen pics of your trees now I feel much more hopeful. Obviously I am not the first to struggle through the learning curve to figure out what works best in my situation. Thanks to the forum and so many helpful folks I am feeling slightly hopeful.
    Kim

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

No don't rinse them off..They will be just fine...

Glad your feeling much better, now let us see if your plants are....:-)

Hope everything turns our for you all..

Mike

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    13 years ago

Every once in a while Ill see a grass hopper hanging around the trees and just regular flies. I havent notice any caterpillars that I would suspect would do that kind of damages. So far they only eat the lemons leaves.
    {{gwi:605763}}

Mike do you think the FE treatment would work on grasshoppers?

• yehudaj
    13 years ago

http://www.texascitrusgreening.org/signs.php

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/C107/m107bpleaftwigdis.html?printpage

HS14100floridacitrusleafporblems.pdf
    HS 890 University of Florida HS12200 IAS

You may find these sites useful.

Yehuda

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Mksmth,

Do you think it is grasshoppers doing that? I never heard of them likeing any kind of citrus at all...

I know it works for the common destructive sucking pest most of us deal with, at least the ones that I ahve dealt with..I would be curious to know if it works for others..

Good luck..You know I had a few leaves do this to me too this summer, and so did Josh..I ahve never seen one bug while chewing though...lol

Mike...

• partyprincess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yehuda

Thank you so much for adding the links. The information is great.

Kim

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    13 years ago

Im not sure Mike, I have never actually seen what is doing the damage. All I have seen is the grasshopper. Im going to try the FE anyways just to see. Ill let you know what I find out.

• bigmario
    13 years ago

Mike and mksmith,
    I have fuller rose beatles in my yard and they attacked my in ground 20or more year old lemon the last two years. They eat at night and hang in shade during the day. They can eat alot. Look them up on the net. Very hard to kill. I am now finding them on my lisbon inground in my front yard wich is close to my potted trees. I am gonna try the FE and see if it works on them. Forgot how often you do it Mike.
    I am also posting pics of the leaves from an inground orange that is also 20+ plus years old (I live in my grandparents home). Hope someone knows what is causing them to do this.
    thanks,
    Dave
    {{gwi:605765}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• equinecpa
    12 years ago

Mksmith

I'd bet money and lots of it on the grasshopper's. I bought a beautiful tree in June 2011 (unfortunately I don't have pic's of it before the attack), but here are pics just about a month later: Lemon Aid

I just posted pics of this tree seven months later...it is making a slow recovery.

• mwr1026
    11 years ago

This grapefruit tree is the only one of a half dozen various citrus trees that show any sign of this problem. Any ideas what the problem is?

This post was edited by mwr1026 on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 14:03

• Jason_aka_Jason
    10 years ago

Hello All!

I've been beatin' my head over this problem since this spring. See attached photo. This is my clementine mandarin. This year it has seemed to be a bit stubborn. At first I thought I over fertilized (although Same as last year) but then I removed nearly all the fertilizer extended release beads (Scott's citrus) and after a few weeks, it still didn't want to get out this slump of discolored leaves and start producing a nice dark green glossy leave production.

It bloomed and is currently rippening fruit.

It has new growth.

Ive been attempting weekly/biweekly watering depending on temps.

It's in a container (larger clay) as it has through out it's upbringing.

Difference this year, has been off drip system thought of overwatering.

Concerns:
    Leaves have brown areas that eventually necrosis away the leaf and creates holes within them.

The leaves are of a yellow green rather the dark glossy green.

I have purchased moisture and ph meteres just for kicks. Ph has been about 6.

Also since removing most of all fertilizer, I returned only a portion to see if improvement. Maybe some improvement?

Any help on the identification on the problem. Some type of disease or pest? I haven't seen anything but spiders here and there.

Thank you!

Jason

• Jason_aka_Jason
    10 years ago

Another photo.

• Jason_aka_Jason
    10 years ago

One last additional photo.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

I doubt this has anything to do with over/under fertilizing. Where do you live? Helps to know the part of the country you're in, and humidity levels. The large, dark brown "burnt" patches look like a mechanical or chemical burn to me. Possibly from something sprayed on the tree. Could be previous, even, to you owning the tree. Can be caused by hort oil sprays during hot weather, burning the leaves, or fungicides sprayed (copper) again, burning the leaves. Even frost can do this sort of damage. However, the smaller spots look more fungal in nature to me. If you're on the east coast, Greasy Spot can be an issue, and this might possibly be what's going on. But, I can see the spotty leaves up close enough to tell. If you're in California or AZ, that would not be an issue (we just don't have enough humidity for this to be an issue.)

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Patty has this covered Jason.

I wish you the best of luck in helping your tree......

Mike:-)

• Jason_aka_Jason
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike,

Hello Patty!

Thank you for input.

I forgot to mention that bit of key information. I'm located in Northern California, near Sacramento (near Davis).

I have had this citrus 4 years and haven't had any type of spray upon them. In the prior years, all has been well until this year.

Also forgot to mention, last fall, I did complete it's first pruning session. Nothing dramatic. It did stay part winter outdoors, then when it was consistently dropping low 40s, i brought it indoors until it maintained mid + 40s.

I was wondering if it were Greasy Spot, but figured as you said, west California.

Those brown areas develop from a sparse brown dots until it becomes more uniform into a solid shapes. After that point, it usually starts to necrosis inside out to a flakey ash like dead leaf. But only creating holes, not killing the whole leaf.

Are there any other photos I can take to assist in the matter?

Thank you again for the time to reply. I greatly appreciate any help.

Jason

• sig_r
    10 years ago

Hi,

I have some leaf discoloration that I'd like help diagnosing. My tree is a sanbokan lemon or sweet lemon that is about 3-4 years old. It has tons of new growth but hasn't flowered in the last three years. I live in Montreal, Canada, so the tree is potted. It lives on a very sunny deck all summer and comes in to a not-as-shady window in the winter. many of the leaves have yellow discolorations on them. I fertilize irregularly with espoma citrus tone. I know the most likely diagnosis is nutritional deficiency, but I read about HLB and I just want to be sure that isn't what I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Sig

• sig_r
    10 years ago

more pictures!

• sig_r
    10 years ago

more pictures. my tree is also relatively leggy - not sure if that helps.

• GnT_nj
    10 years ago

This is from what I think is a key lime that I have had as a container plant for about 6 years. This year all of the new growth on the plant shrivels up, turns black and dies. In addition, some of the older, full size leaves have developed light green spots on them. Fruit production is way down from what it had last year. Can anyone help?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Bumping it down....
    G&t... better to start a new thread than to try to append to a 3 year old thread.

The blackening/die-off in your photo is most commonly caused by insufficient water combined with putting very tender new growth in hot sun.

• mahchelbs
    10 years ago

Hi guys, this is my first post so bare with me if I do anything that isn't perfect on the forum. I live in the panhandle of Florida and have a Tangerine tree. We planted it February of 2011; we harvested about 15 or so tangerines from it that following fall. Well this year in the late winter months/early spring months I noticed that we only got a few of the citrus blossoms, where the fruit then flowers from. And any "baby fruits" that budded there quickly browned and fell off. At this point, we will not have any fruits come this fall. I have a few photos to show what's happening with the tree. Please help! I have no idea what the source is and what action I need to take. This is my first citrus growing venture.

This first photo is of the tree itself. You can see a few yellowing leaves towards the base of the tree, on the left and right side.

{{gwi:605767}}

This photo is of new growth that I popped off. It has these "tapeworm" type curvy lines on the surface that can be seen on the front and back. There is also a sheen near/around/surrounding these lines, similar to the look of what a slug would leave behind.

{{gwi:605769}}

This photo is of semi-new growth, within the past few months or so. The leaves are curling and cupped and damaged looking around the edges.

{{gwi:605770}}

This photo is of an older leaf, probably original to the tree when we purchased it. It has the same "tapeworm" like trail on it with the clear film on it as well.

{{gwi:605771}}

I have no idea where to begin with figuring out the problem. I have not seen any visible pests that would cause the damage. Any thoughts? They are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

• jostheim
    10 years ago

I am new too, but my lime tree has the same thing. My google searches indicate it is leaf miner and my forum reading says it is probably best to simply let it go, it evidently doesn't effect the leaf utility, it just makes them ugly.

10 years ago

mahchelbs and jostheim, you're both dealing with Citrus Leafminer. Much, much discussion on our forum about CLM, just search for the topic and you'll see plenty of responses. We talk about this annoying but rather benign pest ad nauseum this time of year. Also, just a tip for forum newbies - you're much better off starting your own message thread about a topic, than tacking onto someone else's 3 year old topic :-)

Patty S.

• organic_flutterby
    10 years ago

Can someone please help me with the cause and remedy for the problem on these key lime leaves? Thank you.

{{gwi:605772}}

{{gwi:605773}}

{{gwi:605774}}

{{gwi:605775}}

{{gwi:605776}}

{{gwi:605777}}

• skinn30a
    10 years ago

Jason_aka_Jason,

I know that it does not look the same in the pictures that you can find on the web but it looks to me like you've got a little citrus scab going on there... I've had the same thing present on my tangelo tree and a couple rounds of Kocide took care of it. Scab is common on lemons, mandarins, and tangelos and is not a big issue if you catch and treat it early. I use Kocide 3000 at the following rate with very good results:

(Disease present) KOCIDE 3000: 2 TBspn per 1 Gallon H2O every 5-7 days. + ý teaspoon wetting agent.

(Maintenance/Prevention): 1 TBspn per 1 Gallon H2O every 2-3 weeks + ý teaspoon wetting agent.

sig_r,

Looks to me like a Magnesium deficiency. Consider applying Epsom salts or Magnesium Nitrate as a foliar spar at the following rate:

1% MgSO4 (Epsom Salt): 1.2oz per 1 Gallon H2O + ý teaspoon wetting agent

2% Mg(NO3)2: (Magnesium Nitrate; 10.5-0-0+9.4%Mg ): 2.5oz per 1 Gallon H2O + ý teaspoon wetting agent.

That's what I would do for my trees anyway...;)

Best,

Skinn30a

• gl1111
    10 years ago

My Meyer lemon has been moved inside for the winter. I just notice that many leaves have small holes, and several have large parts eaten from edges, like caterpillars do, and those often have fine webs across them. Can anyone ID the insect and/or suggest a treatment?

Also, I'm not able to upload more than one picture--uploader won't let me select two, and if I upload a second one by itself, the first is deleted.

Thanks.

• gl1111
    10 years ago

Here's the other photo.

10 years ago

Well, not sure what's eating the leaves, but for sure you've got a hefty spider mite infestation. We have lots of info on managing spider mites on the forum. And, to load multiple photos, just upload all your photos to photobucket.com. Then, copy and paste the HTML code string for each photo right in the body of your message. That will embed the photo right into your message. You can paste in as many photos as you wish with this method. Also, better to start your own message thread, than to tack onto a much older one.

Patty S.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 17:32

• guthrieden
    9 years ago

Can someone help me with my Meyer lemon tree?

• sangle_pradeep
    8 years ago

Its sweet orange leaf (citrus leaf), Kindly help in identifying the cause of damage?

• sangle_pradeep
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Please identify the disease on citrus leaf (sweet orange)?

• Christy Lowry
    7 years ago

Can anyone identify this small light green dot that seems to be suspended by a little string on the top of my lemon tree leaf in California? I've never seen anything like this before. Almost every leaf has one or two.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Christy, I suggest you start a new thread with your question. It is so old that many will not respond. I wish I could help you, but I have no clue!

• User
    7 years ago

Without a microscope it is hard to tell but it might be a sporangium possibly of some type of fungus.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    7 years ago

Could be a fungus like Vladimir said, could also be an insect egg or just dirt on a bit of fluff.

However, I'm more concerned with how dusty the leaves are. I may just be dust or it could be the beginnings of a spider mite infestation.

It's a good idea to wash off the leaves from time to time, like maybe every 4-6 weeks. Take them outside and hose them off, or if that's not possible, put them in the shower and shower them off with cool water.

Then let them drain well and put them back where they were. It helps prevent spider mites as they're attracted to dusty plants. And your plants love the rinsing off!

• May Neuman
    7 years ago

Not really raised or anything, little chalky I guess and smooth at the same time. Comes off with my finger

• bill moody
    7 years ago

identification · More Info
    Can anyone identify this leaf disease? It's a lemon tree leaf. Best guess from google is citrus thirp, but it is not usually in Texas coast (galveston county)

• Chico Neyrey
    last year

Can you tell me where I might send a photo to have a citrus identified? I have one that was supposed to be a meyers lemon. Then I’m told, oh, that’s a lime, now it is loaded with fruit the size of a quater — 50 cent piece turning yellow and falling off the tree. I’m hoping that maybe it turns into a key lime now. 😁

Thanks, Guys 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Chico Neyrey

Charleston, SC

• Howard Martin
    last year

One the leaves it could  nutrition problem but what does I know I'm no expert

• Howard Martin
    last year

Looking like some Inscet damage 

Hosard