Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Immature Fruit turning soft

Posted by bossjim1 Z9 Alvin Tx (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 16:27

I have a Ponderosa lemon tree, three years old, in a large pot. It has lots of lemons but I just noticed that they are getting soft while still green. I think I have a problem but don't know how to diagnose it Can you help?
Thanks, Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Immature Fruit turning soft

Jim, can you post up some photos of the tree? It may be that your fruit is just starting to come ripe, and this is simply a normal process. If we can see the tree and the fruit, maybe we can give you some ideas on what's going on.

Patty S.

o

Thanks Patty. The one largest lemon is beginning to turn yellow, but the tree has fruit of probably 5 different sizes and is blooming again now. I'm embarrassed to say I think I have solved the mystery. We have been getting a lot of rain over the last 2 weeks, so I haven't watered. Well, I soaked it real good this morning and this evening nearly all the fruits are firm. I think they were just dehydrated. Does this make sense?

Jim

o

Yes. Absolutely. Be care in having wild swings in watering or you can end up with split fruit. Keep watering it on a regular basis so it doesn't dry out. When fruit get soft, the skin will shrink. When you rehydrate the tree and the fruit rehydrate, the skin won't stretch back, and it can split. But, got that was all it was!

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here