Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

The AG people called re Asian Citrus Psyllid

Tucker came out from the California AG group, and was amazed at the infestation. He took a ton of samples. Commended me for my use of Bayer Merit.

If the tests are positive for that bad disease, I will lose all my citrus. If not, I need to treat often.

Suzi

Comments (4)

• keithdphan
    10 years ago

Scary stuff. Keep us updated

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the email thread for my first contact. I sent them a photo because they were closed on the weekend when I discovered the problem. Funny, it took a couple calls to get to the right guys, but this is how government employees treat things. It took them 10 days to get back to me by email, but the inspector had already come out from my phone call and photos to the correct people. I did what I could, but if you use their email, they don't actually get to it for days... This is a serious thing, but evidently not to them.

You need to start at the bottom to get the drift of things...

Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    10:59 AM
    RE: I think one of my trees is infected with Asian Citrus Psyllid. Photo Attached

From
    AgDept
    To
    'Suzi H'
    Ok it must have been someone from the State. Glad they could help you.

Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 10:04 AM
    To: AgDept
    Subject: Re: I think one of my trees is infected with Asian Citrus Psyllid. Photo Attached

An inspector came out and took samples, an adult and some nymphs. He is sending it for testing. It is definitely ACP.

Thanks!

Suzi H

To: 'Suzi H
    Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:57 AM
    Subject: RE: I think one of my trees is infected with Asian Citrus Psyllid. Photo Attached

This doesnâÂÂt look like damage from the ACP. You should call the Master Gardner at (951) 683-6491, if they are unable to help you, you can bring a sample into our office and we can send it to Sacramento to have it ID.

Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2013 12:43 PM
    To: AgDept
    Subject: I think one of my trees is infected with Asian Citrus Psyllid. Photo Attached

Hi!

Your office is closed on Saturday, but I discovered this problem today. What should I do? We have other citrus and there are acres of citrus growers all around us.

We moved onto this property 2 weeks ago, and there are other citrus here, but none of those seem to be affected YET!

Thanks!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Oh brother. Who told you your photos did not look like ACP?!? That person should not be working in the CDFA office. You had such classic and severe signs of ACP I don't know how on earth they could have missed this. This is rather disturbing that you had to go to such lengths to get things looked at. But, again, to reiterate from the Citrus Growers Forum you've posted this on, the chances of finding Huonglongbing (HLB, Citrus Greening), are very very slim. Yes, there will be a "first tree" for sure infected from a psyllid carrying the disease here in California, and the chances are very high that it will be in someone's backyard, rather than found in a commercial orchard, but just to reassure you, you probably have a better chance of getting struck by lightening. Twice. So, don't fret over this too much, Suzi. Psyllids are known to be in your area, and all the way through Riverside county, in fact.

Patty S.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's frustrating, Patty!

The wheels of government move slow. A phone call got me what I needed, and this nice guy named Tucker, came out and observed everything.

He did take an adult and several nymphs for testing, and I'm glad I went through the process.

He told me the tree is severely infested, but assured me the rest of the citrus aren't, and I know it's a slim chance we don't have that greening disease here, but better safe than sorry!

I just want the forum to not depend on email. Make the call! Get the correct email to the right person in your state or county, and get results!!

Suzi

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource