Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones..
I wish I could have the room to let them get as big as they want,but that is impossible.
I have to keep cutting them back.....

These one are left unattended most of the time among the weeds..They are not getting the prime location about the yard..

{{gwi:606271}}

{{gwi:606275}}

Smaller ones.....

{{gwi:606279}}

{{gwi:606282}}

{{gwi:606287}}

{{gwi:606289}}

{{gwi:606291}}

The perfect example of one that is not been given 'vinegar' for about 3 months...Just started today:-)

{{gwi:606295}}

Now some of my larger ones.....

{{gwi:606297}}

{{gwi:606300}}

{{gwi:586210}}

Please let's see some of your potted plants..I know a few here have a nice ones:-)

Mike

{{gwi:606303}}

{{gwi:606305}}

{{gwi:606306}}

Comments (157)

• johnorange
    10 years ago

Here is a Ponderosa lemon I grew from seed. I think it is from year before last's crop so it's just under two years old. It might bloom next spring. It reaches within inches of the ceiling fan already.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

johnorange Very nice looking tree. Did you notice how much faster and more vigorous the seed grown trees grow in the 1st years as they try to grow up to a fruiting level.

• laidbackdood
    10 years ago

Wow......what an awesome spectacle of potted citrus.....just amazing.
    I grew 8 different trees in terracotta pots in Auckland and they went well....I notice everyone uses plastic here and i would imagine that is due to your high temps.
    I have moved to Auzzie now and have started my bug again and im using plastic too as the temps will get to 40C +.....I notice some are using black pots.....I question that as they will get really hot in summer and the roots wont like it....I have just bought 6 trees ....so they are young and certainly cannot compete with the ones here....Good work!
    Mike i notice you mention you use vinegar....I have a few questions on that=
    1.Is that to make soil acidic?
    2.what vinegar do you use? white? apple cider?
    Here are my trees=
    dwarf meyer
    dwarf washington navel
    dwarf imperial mandarin
    semi dwarf navelina
    semi dwarf emperor mandarin
    semi dwarf lemonade

This post was edited by laidbackdood on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 11:24

• johnorange
    10 years ago

poncirusguy, this is probably the fastest I have seen a seed-grown tree grow. I put it in a really big pot with some styrofoam chunks in it to reduce weight from the soil. I still have to use a furniture dolly (in the photo) to move it. I brought it inside last winter next to south-facing windows where it got sun and it grew all through the winter. I gave a friend some seedlings in small pots he kept outside. His trees look nice but they are a LOT smaller. My pot is a dark color so I keep it where the porch roof shades the pot during the summer. I planted some calamondin seeds in the ground probably four years ago and that tree is barely bigger than this one at half the age.

• laidbackdood
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of my dwarf avocado for good measure.
    Click on pic for upright view.

This post was edited by laidbackdood on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 11:30

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I have transplanted my seed grown poncirus trifoliata to it new 28 gallon container ( half drum with soil coned up ). I brought it down from my roof top to give it a lot less exposure to sun and wind as it adjust to loss roots in the transplant. I also have about 3 to 4 weeks longer till first frost at ground level.

{{gwi:606325}}
    Poncirus trifoliata in 5 gallon bucket.

{{gwi:599903}}
    seed grown poncirus trifoliata in plastic half barrel after redundant and cross branches have been removed

{{gwi:606402}}
    Seed grown sweetlee tangerine tree after transplant. After the media settles I will top off the dirt to cover the roots.

{{gwi:586197}}
    same tree late spring

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

just repotted these into 15 gallon pots.
    meyer
    {{gwi:606406}}
    key lime and armstrong satsuma.
    {{gwi:606411}}

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

MeyerMike

Could you start a thread for pics of potted citrus coming in for the winter after a full summer of fun. Your threads are well visited and I want to see what other's trees did.

Steve

• anddoggies2
    10 years ago

Yes, and if the photos could show a little of the indoor environment / lighting system that would be great for us newbies. Thanks-
    Becky

• queensinfo
    10 years ago

Here is my fist year tree (it was a 3 yo tree when i purchased it this spring). I am concerned for the first winter bringing it in and on the fence about using supplemental lights and will probably avoid it. My kitchen is drafty and is an exterior brick wall so it stays cool near the window where the plant will be for the winter. I have a bright window and i will see how it goes.I may also prune some of the longer branches but now they are branching out close to the ends.

• queensinfo
    10 years ago

This was the same tree in March when i received it.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

anddoggies

Here are a couple of picture of my lighting equipment. If you click on them they will open my photobucket display for many ideas. when open you can navigate with your keyboard arrow keys

{{gwi:39597}}

{{gwi:570204}}

{{gwi:570205}}

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Lime tree before going in greenhouse.

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Lime tree tied up before going in greenhose.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not bad everyone! I think it's time to start another thread like this since this thread is so picture laden!

Mike

• aslan89
    9 years ago

Meyer not looking so good right now though it did just go through a big bloom cycle. I was hoping it would leaf out more.

• aslan89
    9 years ago

My Kishu is doing well, totally covered in blooms but loved to a new location and I don't have a new picture. My page mandarin is looking amazing, it must not mind being in a pot as much as the lemon does.

• jhkeffer
    9 years ago

As a new Lemon Citrus grower, we are thrilled by the prolific production of fruit and then very worried by disease. Thanks to this blog (gardengal48) Neem oil was reccomended to address spider mites, and possibly mildew at the same time. We were leaving for Christmas and came back 10 days later to an apparent complete cure! Thanks, blog and Garden Gal!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

This is sweetlee tangerine tree #3. Sweetlee #4 is about the same size and health. You can see how well these seed grown tangerine trees have grown from the pictures starting at the top of this thread.
    jhkeffer I am glad to see your tree came through. It is alway nice to see thing pull through for the better

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, and is that DEAD scale I see? How many times did you apply the Neem?

That is awesome if it cured everything in one spraying, but beware,,They can come back and you never know it until they are ahead of you again)

Mike

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

My three citrus trees/plants two are variegated and the other one is a Satsuma owari

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

Variegated citrus flowers and budds :)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Very nice. Looks like the citrus "force" is with you. My trees are just starting a rapid growth cycle. My Meyer lemon trees are the only ones with flowers, as the other citrus trees are seed grown and just over 2 years old. The 3 year old seed grown meiwa kumquat is dead.

Meyer lemons, pressing against the glass, are rooted cuttings. Gifted to me last year.

30 gallon seed grown Sweetlee tangerine showing aggressive growth. Born 1-7-2013.

In ground Sweetlee #4 with over 15 feet of fresh twig growth. Seed sprouted 1-7-2013.

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

Looks nice steve :) I got my variegated pink eureka lemon about 1 year ago and the variegated Satsuma about 6 months ago the Owari Satsuma (bottom picture) I've had for about 2 1/2 years

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    Plant collector and Steve...Wundavah!!! Very nice good
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Thanks plantcollector and Mike for the compliment. I just realized I missed sweetlee#3 and named sweetlee#4 as #3. I'll correct the name of sweetlee to #4 and here is sweetlee#3

.seed grown tree is in ground. seed sprouted 1-7-2013

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

Looks good steve nice plants you have there :) my variegated orange tree is starting to show buds :)

Isaac

• PRO
    Greenco ag technologies
    8 years ago

Great work!

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

My variegated orange and lemon flowers update.

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

More pictures

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

Owari Satsuma orange showing new growth 2nd and 3rd picture after the hard winter and last years drought ,Variegated Satsuma orange buds developing more and some new growth .variegated pink eureka lemon again, showing more buds and some new growth and tiny fruit developing

• BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
    8 years ago

Hello all, lovely little thread and it's been a
    pleasure to see so many healthy citrus well-loved by growers. Here's a picture
    of an unidentified little guy. My grandmother has a mystery citrus that
    produces these rough-skinned fruits that are yellow and sour when ripe. and as
    I did not have any citrus plants and was wishing to begin a collection I
    air-layered it last November and took the branch off the tree in the beginning
    of January since it had successfully rooted. Tree is thorny as all-get-out so
    it was an “experience” getting the air layer done lol….anyway it's growing
    nicely now and put out a strong new flush about a week ago with lots of
    branches; here's a picture of it:

And a closeup:

I also have a seedling I found under her Persian lime tree that
    I dug up and brought home; first time I found one under the tree (Persian limes
    are triploids and the pollen is normally sterile) so I'm thinking maybe one of
    her surrounding citrus pollinated it:

It didn't do
    anything for a long time (I have it in a very porous screened bark mix that
    dries out very fast and I was thinking it wasn't getting enough water) but I
    finally noticed some new growth this week:

Sorry if this is not on topic but I still have an air-layer on her tangerine as well, you can see the roots beginning to form in this picture from February 4th :

And that's it! :D

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

Nice trees plant collector and BahamaDan. Bahama, congratulations on your success with the air laying and now the seedling. Good work!

Cory

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    And here I thought this thread I started years ago was dead...Such a joy to see such beautiful trees here again. Love the colors too.Too bad all mines were deleted(((
    Mike...
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

I am posting from my computer then throw the pics away. They will always be there.

• BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
    8 years ago

Thank you Cory! The air-layer was suprisingly easy to do; my eye is on her Persian Lime next ;). I confess I'm not 100% sure what the air-layer is because it definitely has winged petioles but they are "barely there" and as I understand it trifoliate has very visible ones (also not compound leaves either). I also find it nice and quirky how it puts out a flush at the same time as the parent tree, even though they're now two separate plants in two different yards. The parent tree has flowered while mine hasn't though, so we'll see...

The legendary Mike! How nice of you to grace us with your presence! I assure you this thread (and many other older ones) is still very much alive! I'm very grateful that so many of the older threads are archived as I went over them frequently when still learning about citrus, and do now as well. It is a boon to be able to glean from the experienced and informative postings of individuals such as yourself. I confess I regularly mix up you and the other "Mikes" though ;) And sorry to hear they were deleted; sounds like a perfect opportunity to take more!

That's not a bad idea Steve; sounds space saving as well.

8 years ago

ill add a few of mine. some look a little tired from the winter so be nice to them. LOL

Armstrong satsuma in front, Fukushu kumquat behind it.

fukushu kumquat.

Washington naval in bloom. Couple of this year meyer lemons to the right

This is the oldest meyer I gave my mom. It defoliated some but is flushing out nicely. Oh and blooming like a meyer should.

tan pot is washington naval white is meyer nearest is a key lime. Cavendish banana in there along with an unknow orange seedling that was gifted to me.

in front is a gardenia that Laura in VB sent me a while ago and the begonia is an heirloom that my great grandmother was growing 30+ years ago. My mother and I have been keeping cuttings of the original plant going since she passed about 15 years ago.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    8 years ago

Hello, Mike, Mike, and Dan! Great to see you fellas here :-)

It has been an excellent year for Citrus. I just pulled the last of my Moro blood oranges this morning. Everything is growing and blooming so well.

8 years ago

thanks mike. I think they are little below average on how they normally look. they have been neglected a little since I can only get to them about once every week or so. My dad has been keeping an eye on them. I will be retrieving them here in about a week where I can really give them what they want. Smaller ones are getting repotted and I am really going to feed them this summer and try to get a lot of growth.

Laura sent that to me by way of another member last spring. I love it. smells great. It has a few buds on it now. I also started some cuttings of another gardenia I have. I cannot have enough of them around. The smell is by far my favorite.

cant wait to see how well yours is doing

looking great Josh!

mike

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

Nice pictures everyone:)

My variegated Satsuma orange showing it's first flowers of the year :). My variegated eureka pink lemon tree showing flowers and small fruit developing (again)

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

My Owari Satsuma orange showing new growth

8 years ago

just a little update. brought mine out of the greenhouse and into some filtered shade. They overwintered pretty good. A little yellowing on a couple and just a touch of leaf drop. Not a big fruit set but thats ok because I plan to push these with more N this year to really get bigger.

Fukushu, key and washington left to right

meyer, bearrs lime, armstrong satsuma, seedling grapefruit and seedling lemon, left to right

up close of fukushu kumquat, probably my favorite right now. Prolific bloomer, great fruit set, and always healthy. Its regulary flowers every other month or so.

Steve these are for you

the lemon seedling on the right is one of 2 of the very first citrus I grew. the other I gave to my mother. Both were germinated in the Fall of 2009 making them just over 6 years old. Ive neglected them a little and thats why they arent so big. One did flower last spring but just one or 2 flowers. Grapefruit is about 3 years old. and again neglected a little.

mike

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Mike: Thanks for sharing. Your trees look great. I think you will do well with the nitrogen feeding idea. Once the trees are up to size they will fruit from year to year with a lot less maintenance. I wish you the best for your trees.

My kumquat is still alive. Last year it started budding out in mid June and grew into January when cold killed 2/3 of it.

The chip in the circle shows a green cambium.

Steve

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    Mike, those a some REAL beauties!! Fantastic work..I LOVE your idea about using light colored pots or even coloring them yourself too..Did you use what kind of paint? Nice god? I will do same since finding white pots is a miracle around here)

Steve, I am so happy that part of your tree made it..The poor thing
    8 years ago

Thanks steve. Seems like they are in a stunt so i need to supercharge them this summer.

Mike. thanks. They are below my standard for looking good right now. I wasnt able to properly care for them like I normal would. I just use Krylon Frusion. I sticks ok but as you can see it does scrap off if you arent carefull. I usually just re apply once i get them out in full sun.

Did you see my post on the Dekopon when I received it. Im tempted to go ahead and order the Xie shan since the Dekopon came in so nice.

mike

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

Mksmith, yes, the Xie Shan's from Harris are in great shape too. I got mine last year and have fruit this year already. I would recommend getting one now while you can now that you are settling into your new home. Your trees always look so great. Others have reported the Xie Shan has great flavor. I'm going to paint all my black pots white this year too. Last summer I noticed the soil was almost steaming on hot days. Everything new has been going into light color or white pots.

Cory

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

Update on my citrus trees

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

1 of 2 Meyer lemon trees in a 30 gallon container.

2 of 2 Meyer lemon tree in a 30 gallon container.

Sweetlee tangerine #2 tree in a 30 gallon container.

Sweetlee tangerine #4 planted in ground.

Sweetlee tangerine #3 planted in ground

1 of 4 Hardy chicago fig in a 30 gallon container.

1 of 4 Hardy chicago fig in a 30 gallon container.

2 of the 4 Hardy chicago fig trees in 30 gallon containers. All 4 of the fig trees are heavy in fruit.

Steve