Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 16:51

Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones..
I wish I could have the room to let them get as big as they want,but that is impossible.
I have to keep cutting them back.....

These one are left unattended most of the time among the weeds..They are not getting the prime location about the yard..

photo DSCF4408_zps213a2661.jpg

photo DSCF4407_zps12673156.jpg

Smaller ones.....

photo DSCF4396_zps5a74525d.jpg

photo DSCF4406_zpse2f247bd.jpg

photo DSCF4404_zps5df71eb5.jpg

photo DSCF4403_zpsdd591a84.jpg

photo DSCF4402_zps2cd4f331.jpg

The perfect example of one that is not been given 'vinegar' for about 3 months...Just started today:-)

photo DSCF4401_zpsfdbd13ec.jpg

Now some of my larger ones.....

photo DSCF4394_zpsd1c72528.jpg

photo DSCF4395_zps8eaab70b.jpg

photo DSCF4405_zpsdeeb6c3a.jpg

Please let's see some of your potted plants..I know a few here have a nice ones:-)

Mike

photo DSCF4400_zps1ef311b7.jpg

photo DSCF4399_zps0904b147.jpg

photo DSCF4398_zpsc5cc7b7b.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.

All in prime location

5)  Sweet lee tangerines in bottomless gallon food tin photo IMG_4501_zpsc6c02638.jpg
Sweet lee tangerines in bottomless gallon food tin

6)  Sweet lee tangerine in ground photo IMG_4500_zps1180a735.jpg
6) Sweet lee tangerine in wall less bottomless container 'hill'

2)  nagami kumquat right,  sweet lee tangerine left photo IMG_4502_zpsdcf94de0.jpg
nagami kumquat right, sweet lee tangerine left

3)  meiwa kumquat tree among sweet potatoes photo IMG_4503_zpsf7f25afb.jpg
My meiwa tree has come back

4)  Poncirus trifoliata in 5 gallon bucket photo IMG_4499_zpsb79c6991.jpg
Poncirus trifoliata

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 17:58

looking great mike. Ill add some when i get a chance. Mine all got knocked over in the 70+ miles per hour wind storm last night :(

mike

o

Morning,

Hey Mike, long time no see nor talk..how ya doing?

As usual, your Citrus are doing fantastic.
When did you add small citrus? Or are they your oldie's with trimmed foliage?

I haven't been here on Citrus for ages..many new faces.

Hope new members are as nice as old members. :)

Nice seeing you again.

When you have time please post more pics. How's your beautiful, variegated Citrus doing? hugs, Toni

o

Hello! Great to see you all.

Mike, be sure to take pics every 3 - 4 days of the Citrus on the vinegar regimen. It'll be interesting to see how it responds. As for the other Citrus, amazingly green as always. My trees are jealous ;-)

Meyer Lemon, finally pushing growth. Does it look as though I'm over or under fertilizing? This one's in Gritty Mix.

o

Then, of course, my Moro blood orange:

o

And, lastly, a shot of the entire gang (sorry for the hard to see image).

o

All your trees look great. It is my trees that are jealous. I am definitely interested in you newly planted meyer lemon in you greenhouse Mike

Thanks all. I am much more oriented to pics as opposed to text.

o

Well Gee, look at that, my Lap Top is ok and I can respond to you all now!

Steve....Thank you..I think your trees are doing good for seedlings..You certainly have the patience! I will post another pic of the greenhouse one tomorrow:-)
Looking good.

Josh! Wow, look at all those beautiful trees...I can't believe how fast your collection got pal. I love them all.
Don't worry about the one you asked about. I am certain that your fertilize regularly and use vinegar as needed.
Once your weather cools, it should return to green in no time.;-) Such nice plants!
Did you ever get mature fruit on your Moro? Was it good?

Oh Toni..Hello , hello and hugs back at ya!
All of the nice members come in and out, although I wish more often...Now it's the same few of us here but I think due to everyone being busy. I miss them all.
I wish you would stick around. It is always a blessing to see you here.

MIkey..I can't wait to see some of your trees. I KNOW they will look great. I will be waiting:-) Thanks buddy.

o

Hey, Mike! Thanks!
I'll do a vinegar treatment when I fertilize tomorrow. This Meyer seems to want much more nutrients than my other citrus. I've been fertilizing it at 1.5 strength as John recommends, which certainly kicked it into growth.

My Moro just fruited this Spring and you can see the green fruit still on it ;-) It won't be ripe until January, I believe.

Josh

o

a 90 year neighbor lady that is up the street has this in the back yard in a very large pot, I was there to cut her over grown back acre yard with my tractor/shredder. She is not able to walk much, so I watered the bone dry tree, I believe its a Ponderosa lemon and it looks like the leaves are showing a nutrient deficiency, maybe iron. I dont know much about citrus, I spend most of my time growing avocados and habanero chilies in pots.

o

Cuerno, I'd say that's a good guess.

Tree is probably deficient in a number of nutrients, but mostly Nitrogen (the macro most used). Will you do a fertilization for her? In a big pot, a gallon of diluted fish emulsion every two weeks wouldn't hurt.

Josh

o

Hey Mike,, thank you..feels good to be welcomed.

Mike, how often do you add vinegar? How much vinegar to water?

The last two autumns, before bringing plants indoors, I've added vinegar to ALL plants...Reason: Vinegar kills ants and spiders! :)

But, I wonder if a once-a-year is adequate.

Any ideas?

Hey Josh...how you doing?

Your citrus are beautiful, too. Especially Moro!!!

What size are mature Moro fruit?

Josh, you said you've been fertilizing 1.5 strength. What do you mean? 1 part fertilizer, 4 parts water?? Not sure I understand the measurements.

Cureno. Poor tree. Did you ask when the citrus was last fertilized? Or repotted?
If it's been in the same soil and container, nutrients are long gone.

A good fertilizer w/nutrients should help. Fresh soil, too.

Toni

o

Hey, Toni, we start by testing the pH of our water. Then we add vinegar until the pH is between 5.2 and 5.8 approximately. How much vinegar is added is entirely dependent upon your local water. Some water doesn't need vinegar at all.

Toni, 1/2 strength would be half the fertilizer dose. Full strength would be 1 whole dose. 1 1/2 strength would be a full dose, plus another half. Double strength would be twice the fertilizer dose.

Josh

o

Toni

I let my water set out for a couple of days so the chlorine can evaporate. This should lower the ph and make the water much more palatable to the trees. I'll add about a tablespoon of vinegar per gallon of water and fertilizer to instruction on package

Steve..

o

As I understand ph values, 7.0 is NEUTRAL which means if the soil is acidic and you give it 7.0 water the soil will stay acidic, and if the soil is alkaline and you give 7.0 water it stay alkaline. I don’t know about much about citrus but I read somewhere they are like avocado trees and they like soil that is slightly alkaline 7.5 ph. Most all large cities in U.S. have a water ph of 7.0 per government regulations. Leaving water out in the sun to remove chlorine is a good ideal and your water will become acidic but by how much. I like the idea of getting a chlorine shower filter at home depot for about 20 bucks and connect it to a outside faucet and start with neutral water and adjust from there. And while you’re at home depot buy one for the inside bathroom shower and then your drinking water is a few steps away. I see people every day buying bottle water because their afraid of tap water, bottle water is very acidic, there is danger in putting chlorine or acidic water in your body. In 2012 after my wife got cancer, I put a whole house filter system in my home so that any faucet we turn on, no more chlorine or fluoride and we drink only 9.5 ph water from a ionizer machine…

o

Oh by the way I went over to the neighbor's yard and on closer look at the Ponderosa, it has grown through the pot and into the ground. The lady said I could have it since I cut her acre for free, just my luck. But I did take a cutting of it and it's now in my garage refrigerator. So when is the best time for grafting citrus in south Texas? Here is a pic of my large avocado tree.

o

Here's pics of my persian lime. My others to follow.

o

and another of the largest baby lime

o

My meiwa kumquat and mandarinquat...and trying to post my key lime but not sure how to post multiple pics? The meiwa has about 25 little fruit but the mandarinquat decided not to flower yet ( bought it last year). They're in a sunroom surrounded by windows...I don't put my citrus outside. They get a little supplemental light in winter.

o

Duplicate of above, not sure why....

This post was edited by mandarin1 on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 17:22

o

Here's my Key Lime...Hi to Mike and Josh!

o

Here is my Meyer purchased earlier this year. It lived inside until it got warm enough to put out, which was pretty late this year. I guess I should start using vinegar and figure out pH since I use tap water when not rainy. Although plant looks ok for now.

o

My first container Meyer at 9 months. 8 large lemons, 4 pea size, and massive new bloom;

photo 008_zpsd35a1a96.jpg

My Gift Meyers pumping iron

photo 010_zpscfabc7aa.jpg
\ And finally, my container Dragon Fruit

photo 015_zps30e0dd84.jpg

o

John..Looking very nice! are you starting to enjoy container growing and view them differently from your field ones? In other words, any sentimental attachments there? :-)

Queenskitchen...Now why do you have that screen name? You must love cooking.
I would not bother with vinegar unless you see signs of trouble..
adding in anyway has never harmed mine but became just a waste of it.
Always make sure to first provide a very good fertilizer, make sure your mix is good, try and see what your tap pH is, and make sure the temps are not a major player..

I take many things into consideration before just adding vinegar, although at this time of the year it always seems to be what my trees need most...

Mandarin_1, is so good to see you...What a beautiful tree..Your doing a good job..
That is my next tree. I hear so many good things about it and you should see Mikes too..

Wip..Not a familiar face, so it's good to meet you. I'll bet you can't wait until those fruit ripen...Nice

Cuerno, first off, sorry to hear about your wife...I hope she is doing ok now and thank you for that tidbit of info.
By the way, that is one good sized Ponderosa Lemon you have there! Very nice.

Josh, thank you for all your help here and wonderful pics!

Steve, thank you.

Toni! Of course it is always a pleasure to have you around. You have been so helpful for so many years here and you certainly have a few citrus trees that you would never rid of..
Now, do you have any pics?

Josh did a great job with the vinegar question...
Toni, I add only when I know my trees are showing signs of defficeincies...For the life of me I am sick of spelling that word wrong..lol
Anyways, It is usually what they need when I know they are getting everything else they need to be very healthy and still not responding...
I add one tablespoon or two per gallon of water at the time when I use it..
Hope you have a wonderful day.
Thanks for everything.

Mike

o

Hey guys,
My first post on this forum. That maybe the reason I can't post more than one pic at a time?
I would say I have a green thumb, but some how I always found myself lurking here to get tips for my citrus.
MeyerMike thanks for asking everyone to show off there potted citrus. I love seeing others peoples take on how to grow citrus in pots.

Here's a calamondin (my oldest tree) I grew from a bare root twig that lost all It's leaves (all 4 of them) the first summer I had it.

o

My meyre lemon. I can't get this thing to stop flowering.

o

Persian lime

o

Persian lime

o

Moro blood orange. I've had this guy for over a year now and for some reason never removed the tag.

o

Afternoon All,

Josh, this may be a silly question, but how do you test water pH? lol. 'Blush'

Oh Lord. Last spring, I spent 4+ hours on the phone calling water depts, etc. I can't recall how many calls I made that day, not to mention listening to elevator music while waiting.
Want to know what I learned about our water? Nada. Nothing.
I doubt there is one IL employee who knows anything about our drinking water.

Josh, you're too funny...no need to explain fertilizer dosages. Heck, I've been fertilizing plants for years..normally using half-strength. Never as much as the company instructs, nor as often. :)

One more question. You said you add enough vingar so pH is between 5.2-5.8. Which is quite acidic.
Do you water w/the same pH for all plants or just citrus?
For instance, succulents.....

Steve, thank you. I have about 15, gallons of water sitting between fridge and stove. lol. Been saving water for years. I clean old milk containers, fill w/water. When it's time to water/fertilize, H2O is ready to go. :)

One question. You said you add vinegar w/fertilizer. How often do you fertilize?
In other words, do you add vinegar everytime you fertilize?

Mike, thank you.
So, you use one to two T's per gallon of water.

Mike, dictionary dot com comes in handy..Believe me. lol.

I haven't been snapping citrus tree pics as often as I once did..I'll check.

Citrus...to get the name, I'd have to go outside. It's wet and maybe 60F degrees, so you gals and guys can guess what some are. lol

Citrus

Lemon, variegated

Citrus

Another, IDK

Citrus

Citrus in Feb

Citrus

Mandarin

Mandarin

Mandarin w/buds

Citrus

All but the last photo were taken 2012..
Mike, there's too many to post. lol. My fingers are tired.

Everyone here has gorgeous citrus. Toni

o

Hi all fellow citrus'ers

Lots of beautiful trees.

I use 1 Tbs vine-gar per gallon of 30-10-10 miracid 2/3 strength on my kumquats and poncirus trifoliata. The sweet lees do fine without. I foliar feed with 30-10-10 with no vinegar.

Better pics this time than my last entry.

photo IMG_4509_zps1376a293.jpg
Poncirus trifoliata

Hardy Chicago fig in 5 gallon bucket 7-28-13 photo IMG_4508_zps7ca134e4.jpg
Hardy chicago kumquat LOL 10 months old have eaten 3 figs now

Click on picture to open my photobucket then, Click in the lower right corner on magnifying glass to get enlargeable drop down image. then click on the magnifying glass for 8 megapixel image. figs are visible.

o

Hey, guys and gals, I'm very impressed by how well you're all tending your potted Citrus! A really great looking collection of trees. John, your potted Meyers are so nice and green :-)

Howdy, Toni, the blooms on your trees are wonderful!
Oh, the only reason I explained fertilization was because I could have sworn that you asked. Or am I wrong? I thought this was a question:

"Josh, you said you've been fertilizing 1.5 strength. What do you mean? 1 part fertilizer, 4 parts water?? Not sure I understand the measurements."

For pH testing, I use a pH testing kit. A few drops of chemical in the water sample, shake it up, and compare the shade of color to the pH color-chart.

Josh

o

Meyermike-
I do like to cook but the screen name is actually from when i joined gardenweb during a kitchen remodel.

I am going to try and do a foliar feed (per the advice of Johnmer) to try and stimulate some flowering. The tree has been growing fantastic but not a single flower, unlike citrus weekend warrior's tree

o

I have 2 calamondins that I grew from seed out of curiosity. about 5 years old. I don't really expect them to fruit, but who knows... I am mostly interested in fragrance.
I've started giving them dynagrow recently, as advised here and they are doing much better. they are outdoors only for a few months.
now it's of course the question of 'will they EVER bloom'?

o

Poncirus. Are you planning on keeping Poncirus in a container or planted in-ground?
Poncirus is pretty cold hardy.

I once bought Chicago Fig...I'm in IL, not Chicago, but the name was deceiving. Chicago Fig!
Perhaps a large specimen was needed. Because of the name, I 'assumed' it would over-winter w/o freezing.
The following spring all I found was a dead stick. lol.

Wait, I'm confused. Under the pic you typed, Chicago hardy kumquat?? lol. Did you mean fig???

Anyway, your Chicago Fig is sooo very pretty..Compact.

Josh, you're correct. I did ask about fertilizer dosage..duh, but your numbers baffled me. 1/5th strength..
I've seen/used dossage such as 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, etc, but never 1.5. Think I understand. lol

Aw, a pH testing kit. Sounds simple but useful.

I have OLD guages..mainly for sun, water..Two guages are 'supposed' to read soil pH. Don't know if they work anymore, or if they were ever truly accurate. Guages are buried with other plant supplies. Collecting dust.

I'll have to look for chemical pH testing kits. As long as price is reasonable. You know? Thanks for the idea. :)

Josh, thanks for the compliment, too. You made my grey day very sunny. :)

Hi Pet. Very nice Cal.. Is it thorny?
Long ago, 'before owning nursery-bought-citrus,' I sowed lemon seeds. Don't know the variety.
Tree grew fairly fast, but the thorns were 3-4" long. lol.

Your Calamondin is really full and tall. Vivid green foliage. Congrats.

Way back when, I read citrus sowed from seed take 14-yrs before flowering.
The topic, 'how long will it take my citrus sown from seed to flower/bloom?' was discussed many times throughout the years, here on Citrus Forum.

Some members said they're home-grown trees first flowered 1.5 yrs later.

Majority stated 7 or so years.

Since your tree is 5-yrs, and if the 7-yr story is true, wait a couple years and start looking for buds.
Who knows? Your tree is fairly large, so it could bud anytime, especially if given enough light.

Good luck, Toni

o

This is my Valencia Orange.

(More pics to follow.)

o

hopefulauthor

I have 3 PT's. One will go out side in ground and possibly all 3 will. I have tried grafting multiple times with no success.

The hardy chicago fig got it's name because a fig tree killed to the ground came up and started bearing fruit on first years wood. Figs bear on 2nd year wood and this was a positive mutation. It got it's name from where it was found, not for it's cold hardiness. You have to take them in for the cold if they are in pots In ground the temps must stay 10F or higher

My dream was to grow citrus, not figs but my figs are doing so well, that I decided to call it a hardy chicago kumquat on the citrus forum.

I have also branched into blueberries. They do very well in containers and will fit well on my roof the figs an citrus and fortunella.

Thanks for the compliment,Steve

o

Hi NJ...Beautiful Velencia.
Looks heavy. Bet it weighs a ton...

Steve. I see.

You tried grafting 'x' citrus on Poncirus?

In 2005, professional nurserymen, here on Citrus, helped assist with grafting techicques.
Most of the time, step by step instructions were done through emails.
Have you checked YouTube?

I too tried grafting. lol. Unsuccessfully.

Aw, so that's how Chicago Fig got its name.
I should have researched before buying.
The nursery, 'can't name it here,' said Chicago Figs were hardy to z5, hence it's name. Of course, I believed.

Do you have other citrus? Since growing citrus was your dream? Hope your dream hasn't ended. Citrus' sweet-scented blooms and the feeling once fruit produce is awesome. :)

I once bought a blueberry kit..the blueberry's were 'supposed to' be minis. The kit came with a pot, soil and seeds. lol. Seed never germinated.

Wish I had a true blackberry bush/tree in-ground.
I have kiwis, but they've never, once fruited. I must be doing something wrong. Oh well.

o

Hardy Chicago figs are hardy to zone 5. Just mulch over the roo 1-2 feet, the trunk and branches die, and next spring the tree comes up out of the ground and produces figs. If you Plant it next to a south wall the roots get a lot of heat from the basement wall. Otherwise it is only hardy to zone 7 when fully hardened. Yes nursery's do a good job of stretching the 'not' truth

Figs are easy to grow and all you need is a 4 inch plant to get figs in one year. I got mine from http://ediblelandscaping.com/ When they were on sale $4 each. I then rooted one. Give it another go. It worth it.

My citrus consists of 4 sweetlee tangerine 3 PT's,1 meiwa and one nagami kumquat trees.

good luck, Steve

o

Hey everybody....you should all be proud of yourselves! Those are some great looking citrus. Thanks to Mike for starting this thread, allowing everybody to brag a little.

o

My goodness!!! What a bunch of beautiful trees!

Dave, I am so glad you posted one of yours! You made my day. Look at all that fruit! For some reason I don't think I have yet seen any of your pics. I hope you have more:-)

Toni..Lol..I knew you had trees to show us, hiding out there. What a beautiful job you are doing with yours. I love them all, especially the one loaded with blooms! Wow. Everything just seems to relish in your yard..Great job.

Rhizo, I must be doing something right to have the honor of you post here. I have missed you and wish you well:-) Thank you.

Steve..I have over 16 Fig trees..lol I love that one you have. Great work on yout figquart tree:-).

Petrushka...Those Lilies underneath just do teh job for now..Beautiful looking trees. Good job!

Queenskitchen...Man, I can only imagine the nice things you cook..NOw all you have to do is come up with plans to use any fruit yout grow...:-)

Keep the pics coming everyone...I am amazed with all the hard work here and such good success, at least until winter..lol

Josh, HOWDY! ..I love your trees too. Thank you for your good help and fun pics!

I'll be back with more soon..

Mike

o

Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 20:58

Nice trees. here is fukushu blooming again. every other month for this guy.
Mike

o

Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 21:00

Meyer lemon.

o

Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 21:01

Armstrong satsuma fruit. this one is tasty.

o

Mike..Just AMAZING pal!!! I can't believe the size of your trees and the fruit!

Please, do tell us again what mix you are using and do you add perlite? I think many here could be just as successful as you too.

By the way. when you water your trees, do you have to wait until they dry out, or can you water often?
when it comes to winter, do you have to wait for each pot to dry out before watering and does it worry you if you do before the pots dry out?

Thanks again buddy! Great job !

MIke

o

Thanks Mike.

I was using Fafard 52 and adding perlite to be about 60-40. this spring I found a product at lowes in the mulch called Hapi gro Landscapers mix. It is pine bark and pretty close to what the 5 is in the 5.1.1 only with a bit more fines so i dont use peat. I have been mixing it about the same, 60-40. The best part is a 2 Cubic foot bag is $4. I have found that the 1 small bag of miracle grow perlite added to a bag of this mix gets me just what I want.
the below portion is straight out of the bag, the top is after adding perlite. so far I have bought 5 or 6 bags and the consistency between bags is pretty good. I had one bag that had about 10% of sapwood that I had to sift out but wasnt too bad. So far all but my larger meyer, key and satsuma are in this mix. They will get re potted soon.
 photo IMG_20130801_072821_804_zps2d888c5a.jpg

During the summer I water every day or two depending on rain and heat. We have a lot of wind almost everyday and that really sucks the moisture out of them. Winter time maybe once a week in the greenhouse.

Foliage pro every week with exception to the 4th week which i will use miracle gro all purpose to add a bit more N and stretch my Foliage pro bottle out, that stuff isnt cheap.

I also recently started using Miracle gro slow release. The blue bottle that says "moisture control" on it. I believe it has a few of the moisture control beads in it. It is 12-4-8 with minors. I know we frown upon the "moisture control" soil because of the added little beads but I can imagine the small amount added with this fertilizer being enough to cause a problem.
I know Scotts does not recommend their line of Shake and feeds to be used in containers and since I truly have no idea how much to use to be ideal( I just throw a little in) I recommend that anyone reading this DO NOT do what I do and if you choose to use any of Scotts shake and Feed slow release fertilizers that you are doing so at your own risk.
I got scolded a bit here for offering my fertilizer advice, which was un scientific so for now on I add a disclaimer to my fertilizer advice. Sad that some people get all bent out of shape.

mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 9:47

o

Wow Mike, that consistency on top look awesome! It looks ideal for our tree.....

Thank you for explaining how you grow your trees and for sharing despite a few that do get bent out of shape..I think your system works and there is nothing wrong with helping others if your results and pics prove it works..

Funny thins is this..Some of the book and scientific info has not done a thing for mine, but I got more help from ordinary people like you..:-)

I am in the process of using vinegar on one of mine that I neglected to use so others can see how much it makes a difference on my trees..

Question???? When you said that it is hard wood, it is not pine bark?
What concerns me is over time, if it is hard wood, nitrogen would severely be held up, no?

Keep doing a great job and please keep posting us more. I will be back later..Gotta run

Mike

o

Thanks Mike. Your trees always look great so keep doing what you do. Im sorry, yes it is pink bark. It smells very pine-ish. I will edit that to avoid another scolding, LOL. I meant that it wasnt the softwood/sapwood.

Im with you, do what works and share that. let others decide and or try for themselves.

o

I am quite envious of the fact that most people here have 'room to grow' and ground to plant and decks to fill with plants.
in a few years I hope I will be there too ;). meanwhile I am sharpening my knives so to speak and learning all sorts of details.
hopeful, of course my calamondin seedlings have thorns. AND I liked them! until I started getting scratched way too many times - so I clipped them all off. and now diligently remove all new soft ones. on a small tree it's easy. and I only have 2.
I know that I have to wait 7 years avg for flowers, but hey, I just need smth to prune! I do prune my cals at least twice a year and pretty hard - to prevent 'winter problems' indoors and to shape the trees. now I decided to wire branches and tie them into place instead, so I can keep more leaves. I do want to keep it dwarf for it's lifetime and it is intended to be mostly indoors.
if only I knew to root a few cuttings from the original tree that dried up when I was away for 2 weeks... i'd have blooms now! but since that accident I am growing my cals on water-wicks (self-watering), but outside I supplement with top-watering too.

o

Here are just a few from my garden, It was a little overcast today so Ill apologize for the image quality. Hope you enjoy the pictures

Owari-
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Baby Miho with 2 fruit :)

Miyagawa - A few fruit but kinda hard to spot.

2 Xie Shans-

Tango - a very great tasting seedless fruit

Kishu - no fruit this year :( but it sure grew a lot :)

Page - simply a must have

Ponkan - one of the greats

4 dekopans - aka sumo

Valentine - its holding fruit yay

Budd blood - little known blood orange from FL

Tarocco

Big Moro - thinking about in ground next year

Lisbon

Meyer

Variegated Lisbon

Bearss - best limeade ever

Key

Fukushu

Meiwa

Nippon- so heavy with fruit - I counted about 50 on this little tree

o

Ryan..OMG....

Please share your cultural habits with us?

Like what your mix is made of? How often you fertilize and with what? Do you winter them outside and do you keep them in full sun?
Please share all that you do with your trees..:-)

Please share all you can with us and let us know any secrets you might have....I CAN HONESTLY SAY YOUR TREES ARE HUGE AND JUST FANTASTIC.. PLEASE HELP US MAKE OURS LOOK LIKE YOURS AND FULL OF FRUIT.......

Thank you so much!

o

Ryan..OMG....

Please share your cultural habits with us?

Like what your mix is made of? How often you fertilize and with what? Do you winter them outside and do you keep them in full sun?
Please share all that you do with your trees..:-)

Please share all you can with us and let us know any secrets you might have....I CAN HONESTLY SAY YOUR TREES ARE HUGE AND JUST FANTASTIC.. PLEASE HELP US MAKE OURS LOOK LIKE YOURS AND FULL OF FRUIT.......

Also.......Why do you say that the Page...is a must?
What do you like about the Tango other than its so full?

What does an Owari taste like and is it a fruitful one?

What is your sweetest seedless tree?

Thank you so much!

o

meyermike,
Your lemon tree picture were you say that it did not get vinegar treatment looks like my tree.
Could you give me details of vinegar treatment?
How much? How often? Along or with something else?
thanks

o

Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 16:15

Great trees Ryan

Where did you get your Xie shan and Dekopon?

Mike

o

Mike & Mike, thanks for your comments, they mean a lot coming from fellow citrus growers! Dekopan and Xie Shans come from Harris citrus FL. It can be a bit of a process to get trees because of the restrictions about shipping out of FL at the moment.

Mike to answer your questions about any secrets, I don't really have any, I just try to mimic CA and FL citrus regions as much as I can. Its pretty simple: More heat!

Owari is very fruitful. its a great producer but a slow grower. Once it gets big enough its hard to beat.

Page is one of my favorites, every climate is different, for me its very sweet and juicy by February. low seeded, its a winner.

Tango is a seedless fruit & vigorous tree. flavor is good and its late so you can have seedless sweet mandarins in March - April

Sweetest/ Seedless varies from year to year. Most of the time Page is up there. Ponkan is always up there but its not seedless. Kishu, or some of the satsumas can be also. I expect dekopan to possibly take the top spot, but its not fruited for me yet. Tarocco can also be pretty sweet.

All my trees are 100% outdoor. I have an Greenhouse that is heated for winter into spring. One important thing I do is start warming it up(80F) in late Jan/Early Feb this gives them an early start allowing earlier/larger fruit development and longer growing season.

Full sun - 10+ hours of direct sun with about 1-2 hours of shade in the middle of the day. I believe this is important but its not possible for all of us.

Irrigation - automatic watering system on every 2nd or 3rd day depending on how hot its going to be.

Fertilizer - Osmocote & ironite half and half about every other month during growing season. Some get extra N. My well water is luckily PH 6 ish which they like.

Soil - I've got them in many different kinds, I don't have a specific mix I use every time. I find it doesn't really matter as you pot a tree in the appropriate sized container. Don't go to big or too small its got to be just right.

o

double post

This post was edited by RyanLo on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 17:38

o

This time of year makes the whole process all worthwhile.
Aaahhh citrus!

o

north Carolina has a magic climate for growing: very long fall and spring seasons, very sunny, little wind and good fertile clay soils, enough rain too. very mild AND sunny winters. sunny-sunny-sunny all year, only hot in summer. they prolly never go dormant...
but 2-3 day watering in a container for such large trees - isn't that too little? i assume he has rain too in addition to that?
i wonder if ryan's citrus grow roots into the soil? clay soil has lots of nutrients!
ryan,
what about Japanese beetles? you don't have them?

o

Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 10:07

Thanks Ryan, I figured that might be were you got them. Next spring I hope to get one of each.

mike

o

Japanese beetle will eat smart weed over anything else. Just grow a few of them and the beetles will not touch anything else. I knock my beetles into a bucket of water and drown them. You have to check you smartweed plants often enough or the beetles will strip them of foliage and render them useless. It really works well

o

Howdy,

Wow, Everyone here has such beautiful citrus.

Ryan, you plants are exceptional.
The trunk on your Owari is so thick. That is one gorgeous tree!

Doc, you tree is SO full..My goodness! :)
I've seen compact citrus, but none as foliage-packed as yours. Do you fertilize w/Roids? :)

Mike, I haven't taken many pics this summer...Guess it's the chilly days. Lack of energy, blah blah. lol

I have to organize citrus..they all need fresh soil, but I've been waiting for, at the minimum, 80F temps and sunshine.
The way things are going, we may not see 80 until next year.

Guess I need motivating. lol. Thanks, Toni

o

Hopefulauthor....
I use a citrus formulated granular fertilizer every 6 weeks or so and weakly weekly miracle grow. My potted citrus are at our Oregon home. Over-winter in a small portable greenhouse. My Tucson citrus are in the ground and are doing very well this year. Lots of fruit on the grapefruit this year. A recently planted Lisbon lemon is going gang busters. Happy gardening. Bob

o

Bob, well you gave an amazing ability to grow such wonderful fruit! You must love growing them since you have a few at both places...I wish I lived in an area where my warm weather lasted more than a couple of months..

Toni..I hear ya..Bla, bla, bla is right! Now they are talking low 70's by next week..What the heck is going on? I have never seen such short winters growing up when I was just a kid 10 years ago...lol

Petrushka..You are so lucky!!! I was there not too long ago and I remember envying all the potted trees I saw there in people's yards..You are right, you are almost sure to get good success with long hours of daylight and warmth..I only wish..P-(

Ryan, thanks...I now have a few more on my wish list...I guess it will never stop..ha

Mike

o

Bob, well you gave an amazing ability to grow such wonderful fruit! You must love growing them since you have a few at both places...I wish I lived in an area where my warm weather lasted more than a couple of months..

Toni..I hear ya..Bla, bla, bla is right! Now they are talking low 70's by next week..What the heck is going on? I have never seen such short winters growing up when I was just a kid 10 years ago...lol

Petrushka..You are so lucky!!! I was there not too long ago and I remember envying all the potted trees I saw there in people's yards..You are right, you are almost sure to get good success with long hours of daylight and warmth..I only wish..P-(

Ryan, thanks...I now have a few more on my wish list...I guess it will never stop..ha

Mike

o

Starting with the Armstrong Early Satsuma. Tastes better than what it is given credit for, ripens early, and is a tough little tree. Only in ground tree I have in the top of zone 8a

o

LA Early Satsuma. First year for this one.

o

Here is the Owari Satsuma. Over the past two years, I have the most success with Satsuma. Lemons and limes are wearing me out.

o

Kumquats have been a real surprise this year. Just finished the third round of blooming this year and fruit is setting nicely.

o

Trying to upload a picture of one of the ugliest citrus I own with leaf curl, (in 2 different directions), flip-over, spots with rough texture, and everything else, but produces the sweetest fruit! Golden Nugget.

o

Arkberry..It's amazing how some of you have access to all these different type citrus trees..You could be so lucky..

I see the same ole same ole sold around here...I have to ship all mine in...I love them all and the fruit looks and sounds very good..

Sometimes I wonder just how many different variety of citrus trees do exist?????

I just found out the other day that there is over 10,000, TEN THOUSAND different types of Hosta plants when all I ever see is the same ole about 25 sold in my area..lol

Beautiful and thank you for sharing..

Mike

o

Arkberry..It's amazing how some of you have access to all these different type citrus trees..You could be so lucky..

I see the same ole same ole sold around here...I have to ship all mine in...I love them all and the fruit looks and sounds very good..

Sometimes I wonder just how many different variety of citrus trees do exist?????

I just found out the other day that there is over 10,000, TEN THOUSAND different types of Hosta plants when all I ever see is the same ole about 25 sold in my area..lol

Beautiful and thank you for sharing..

Mike

o

Hi All

The only citrus that came to Cincinnati were key lime, moro blood orange, and meyer lemon. This was the first year for any citrus and what they chose for us all have much greater light and warmth needs than Cincinnati can provide. I went to an international fruit market and bought what I wanted after a year of research.

Sweet lee tangerine from seed 6-10-13
sweet lee top nagami below photo IMG_4485_zps5617284b.jpg

same sweetlee 8-4-13
Sweet lee tangerine tree grown from seed photo IMG_4521_zpsd596596e.jpg

Steve

o

Steve, is that planted in the ground?

It's looking good..If so, will you dig it up come fall or just make that protected sunroom around it?
How is it coming along anyhow?
Have you thought of how to heat it or will it be an extension of your house, walls knocked down?

Thank you

MIke

o

Thanks Mike

The tree is planted in miracle grow potting soil mounded up in a hill about 1 foot tall and 2 feet diameter. The soil dries fast enough on the roof that I can use this potting mix.

The trees have tripled in size since my thread when I asked for help on micro nutrients. The nagami just lingers. The meiwa put out short burst of growth and is doing well. The sweet lees are taking off and are surpassing even my much older meiwa.

Come fall I will bring in all my citrus for the winter and grow them in my bucket lights. The larger ones will go in trash can lights "much bigger". My poncirus and fig will go into my 4 by 4 light box. you have seen in past threads.

Thanks for asking Steve

o

Hey Ryan....

I meant to thank you for your way of growing your trees...

I only wish I could give more than 4 hours of direct sunlight and warmth that early in the season..I would have to say despite the odds in your favor, you do a wonderful job!

Thank you

Mike

o

meyermike

Hi Mike. Could you run a thread for pics of citrus tree partying so hard that they had to be arrested and taken inside for the winter. I would love to see how one summer looks for everyones trees.

Steve

o

WOW RyanLo! Your Fukushu looks awesome! Mine has light green/yellow leaves all over it. I'm probably watering it too much. I noticed it did a little better when I put it in a little bit of shade under my Cara Cara but over-water will surely be it's demise if I don't reset the automatic waterer.

o

Awesome pictures, everyone! Ryan, your citrus garden is to die for...so beautifully healthy and vigorous. What do you all do with all the harvest? I noticed that everyone's plants are mostly in smallish pots. I've waited almost all the summer to repot mine in the gritty mix, but I've had no luck finding the pine bark fines, so I think I won't wait any longer and just make a very porous mix myself and pot them up before the summer is over.

Thanks everyone for all the beautiful pictures.

Soussan.

o

Steve too funny....Maybe I should make a thread about 'potted trees released from 'jail' after a long winter'.....

Soussan...What will you devise for a mix? You know you can always use bark mulch right which I think every stae sells, right?:-)

o

My new Meyer Lemon tree. I was told that it is 52 years old, but I think it might have a disease and I've only had it 10 days :(

o

Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 21:56

Jg, now that's what I'm talking about!! Right there is what I'm trying to do, big tree and big pot. Awesome!! What problem is it having?

Mike

o

Hi Mike,

I see a chalky substance on the leaves. On one of the yellower lemons, there are dark indentations with one leaking a sap like substance. And on some of the green lemons, the peels have veins of dried areas.

I also posted a help request under :Please help, Meyer Tree Diesase??" with additional pics.

Thank you for your reply :)

o

Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 10:17

Well the mature fruit scars could just be some mechanical injury. The chalky substance sounds to me like water spots from hard water. The smaller fruit issues I'm not sure of but could just be a watering problem. maybe some pictures of all the issues will help us.

Mike

o

Personally that looks more like insect damage on the fruit to me. Have you tried treating your tree with anything yet? It might not hurt to just get something like organic insecticidal soap or neem oil and see if that helps.

As for the residue on the leaves it's probably just water stains. I live in the Texas hill country and use well water. We have a softener but the water is still hard. I was just looking up solutions for that today actually and neem oil and a little dish soap should make your leaves nice and shiny again. I assume real rain would do the same thing though since the acidic water would clean everything off but I don't get much of that in Texas!

o

Oh and before I forget, here are my little potted citrus trees. I spent nearly a year tracking down the Kishu Mandarin. (Not the best pictures, just used my phone)

From left to right that is a Kishu Mandarin, Page Mandarin, and Meyer Lemon
 photo 20130818_103100.jpg

Fruit on the Meyer Lemon :)
 photo 20130818_103034.jpg

Fruit on the Page Mandarin ^_^
 photo 20130818_103043.jpg

Btw I was reading the comments about the page mandarin and I have to agree, they are awesome Mike and I think you need one! ;)

Also the Kishu mandarin just happens to be my all time favorite. I'm not sure why it's not more popular among home growers. They don't use it for commercial plantings because the fruit is small (some are the diameter of a quarter) but they are seedless, you can peel them easily by hand, and they are super sweet. Think about the 'Cuties' they sell in the store but about half that size and more tasty.

o

Jg......Yes, now that is what I am talking about too as Mike said!!!! How in the world are you going to haul that tree in by the winter and how will the whole tree get light in your windows!!!???
Now if I had huge windows or could leave them outside, I'd stop cutting mine back so much...I hate having to cut them back so much...
It's huge and beautiful...
I think Rhizo, Jean, or Patty here will come up with an answer if they see this thread again..If not them start a new thread and then you will get their help for sure:-)

Aslan, your trees are looking so nice...I remember a while back when you posted these and I wanted the same pots..Still have not found any:-(
I too LOVE my Kishu! With the lack of warmth weather and sunny consistent days, it takes sooooooooooo long for mine to gain any size..I hate living up here the more I come to think of it.
I should try a Page? Where can I get one? I really want one..
That is my next tree for sure:-)
You are doing a great job with your trees so nice and green and healthy looking for now, right? lol

What zone are you in by the way? I forget..Do you get longer summery warm days than I?

Good to see you and all the new login in names...What a great thing to have such good participation and to see such beautiful pics....Please keep them coming...

Mike

o

Jg......Yes, now that is what I am talking about too as Mike said!!!! How in the world are you going to haul that tree in by the winter and how will the whole tree get light in your windows!!!???
Now if I had huge windows or could leave them outside, I'd stop cutting mine back so much...I hate having to cut them back so much...
It's huge and beautiful...
I think Rhizo, Jean, or Patty here will come up with an answer if they see this thread again..If not them start a new thread and then you will get their help for sure:-)

Aslan, your trees are looking so nice...I remember a while back when you posted these and I wanted the same pots..Still have not found any:-(
I too LOVE my Kishu! With the lack of warmth weather and sunny consistent days, it takes sooooooooooo long for mine to gain any size..I hate living up here the more I come to think of it.
I should try a Page? Where can I get one? I really want one..
That is my next tree for sure:-)
You are doing a great job with your trees so nice and green and healthy looking for now, right? lol

What zone are you in by the way? I forget..Do you get longer summery warm days than I?

Good to see you and all the new login in names...What a great thing to have such good participation and to see such beautiful pics....Please keep them coming...

Mike

o

Were you asking me about summer days? I'm in San Antonio Texas, used to be even further south down in 9b/10a

Anyway, last winter down in the valley we didn't even have a night below 32 degrees lol. Up here in SA we usually get some nights down in the 20's but not too bad. I'll probably just wrap a strand of christmas lights up in my trees next winter and not bother moving them :p

For now we are already in the upper 90's and even had a couple days above 100 already... Sure makes Texas less appealing when you want to do some gardening but have to worry about getting a heat stroke outside!

o

Those awesome pots were from Costco btw. They are really nice, made of a thick resin (not like those cheap paper thin plastic pots from Home Depot and Lowe's)

Not to mention they were only 17.99! I wish I would have purchased a couple extra but hopefully they will have them again next year. Thats such a good deal for a nice planter that size. Costco is where I got that Meyer Lemon and Page Mandarin pictured above as well :p

o

I finally figured out how to post multiple pics, so here it goes. I took pictures of everything I'm concerned about. If I need to post other pictures please let me know. And I would like to thank everyone for their assistance.

The chalky residue
 photo IMG_0944_zps9e06b976.jpg

Sad looking leaves:
 photo IMG_0947_zpsd43318db.jpg

photo IMG_0950_zps475d6241.jpg

photo IMG_0952_zps84fcdb5e.jpg

Fruit issues:

photo IMG_0954_zpsa516bf71.jpg

photo IMG_0937_zpse5d3cf51.jpg

photo IMG_0943_zps3276df98.jpg

photo IMG_0942_zpsc5e60343.jpg

I haven't treated the tree with anything yet. I did go up to the garden center where I purchased the tree and they were not that helpful. I kinda complained that they sold me a diseased tree but they said that the tree has been treated and to stop up Tuesday and bring a sample of the damaged fruit/leaves for them to see when a more knowledgeable employee is there to help me.

I did purchase a soil test kit and Ortho Copper Fungicide and plan on treating the tree in the early morning tomorrow.

p.s. I have no idea how I will get this is my house other than pruning it way down. I do have vaulted ceilings and a skylight in the section of the kitchen I would like to keep it. Also, there is a recessed light in the ceiling that I could put a grow bulb in if that would help for over the winter.

Should I just return the tree due to size and my lack of experience? I have until September 8th to return.

o

jgilman08

Did I here you say kitchen? My wife said I could drop dead!

o

Wow guys nice plants.

o

Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 16:40

The white is water spots. Nothing to worry about. the leaf damage looks like grasshopper damage. they love my love my meyer. All you can do is look for them and kill them by hand.

Mike

o

All looks good to me. The leaf damage is just gonna happen sometimes, the grey vein looking things are pretty common too. Either insect damage or just physical damage to the outside of the peel. As for the lemon with holes I'm noy sure, could it just have been poked by some of the thorns?

o

Just wanted to thank mksmith, asian89, meyermike_1micha and poncirusguy for the advice on the lemon tree :) I am very relieved that it doesn't have any major issues. And I will keep a very close eye on it!!

I plan on educating myself on organic fruit and vegetable gardening in general. My significant other and I have been working on a patio redo and have decided to try to make a greenhouse type of section and hopefully become more independent with fruit and vegetables.

This is where we would like to put the greenhouse type of structure:
 photo GreenHouseBefore_zpsa4dd8bb5.jpg

Hopefully we can get it done before we need to bring the tree in and if anyone has advice on this subject, I am all ears.

If we cannot get it done in time, then this is the spot in the kitchen I can keep it.
 photo IMG_0960_zpsd965a70c.jpg

I did go to Habor Freight and purchased a rolling wood stand to get the tree off the cement deck so I could move it around this area to get the best light. Do you think a grow light would be necessary over the winter months??

Thanks for any feedback.

o

Such lovely citrus trees! I love looking at them.

I hope I can have such good luck with my new trees.

Thanks so much for sharing all your advice!

photo 1a3de65e-6674-4eed-965e-fcb501bbce3b.jpg

photo limetree.jpg

o

jgilman08

No need for a grow light. just use standard CFL's listed as bright white or daylight. Get what ever is on sale of maximum lumens.

Steve

o

A few of my citrus enjoying the heat wave!!! Nules
clementine.

o

A few of my citrus enjoying the heat wave!!! Murcott mandarin.Lots of
fruit kind of concerned.

o

A few of my citrus enjoying the heat wave!!! Page mandarin 8 ft

o

Orangelime1: Your trees look so healthy and nicely shaped for container citrus. How old are they and do you have a special regimen or something to keep them so nice?

o

Great citrus everyone!! Here is a pic of my lime tree - it gave me about 20 limes last year, but this year I potted up and it lost all of the ones that were forming. But I hope this means next year it will reward me with tons of limes!! :)

o

And here are some lemon and clementine seeds I've started. I know, long shot, but they are still fun to watch grow. :) (C's on top, L's on bottom).

o

Hi Aslan.The nules clementine I bought in the
summer of 2011 .It looked like a 3ft high twig
The mucott I've had 7 years ,was bought as a
1ft cutting.Aslan never had a problem growing
citrus here in Canada.I spinkle miracle grow
everytime I water.I've been doing this
for 2 years now and what a big differene
It made.Lots of flowers and growth.It works
So well I am now concerned about murcott
Collapse, way to many ftuit.Thankyou
For yout nice words.

o

hermie3rd

Very nice looking tree. Your seedling look nice. In about one growing season your tree may look similar to my sweet lees ad nagami kumquat
 photo IMG_4548_zps041ef996.jpg
The nagami kumquat is in the salad dressing plastic container. it is 9 months old the other 3 are 8.5 month old sweet lee tangerines all from seed

o

jgilman08

For light I used a chandelier turned upside down and attached it to my ceiling fan. If you use 23 watt CFL's in all ten sockets you will need sunglasses to go in. your trees will love you.

Here is a picture of it

o

Pon -

Thanks so much!! Your plants give me hope for my seedlings! Hope they make it through this first Michigan winter okay. I'm planning on keeping them by my kitchen window, which faces west, to give them as much light as possible. I think if they can make it through this first winter, they may be okay. Fingers crossed! :)

o

Here is a Ponderosa lemon I grew from seed. I think it is from year before last's crop so it's just under two years old. It might bloom next spring. It reaches within inches of the ceiling fan already.

o

johnorange Very nice looking tree. Did you notice how much faster and more vigorous the seed grown trees grow in the 1st years as they try to grow up to a fruiting level.

o

Wow......what an awesome spectacle of potted citrus.....just amazing.
I grew 8 different trees in terracotta pots in Auckland and they went well....I notice everyone uses plastic here and i would imagine that is due to your high temps.
I have moved to Auzzie now and have started my bug again and im using plastic too as the temps will get to 40C +.....I notice some are using black pots.....I question that as they will get really hot in summer and the roots wont like it....I have just bought 6 trees ....so they are young and certainly cannot compete with the ones here....Good work!
Mike i notice you mention you use vinegar....I have a few questions on that=
1.Is that to make soil acidic?
2.what vinegar do you use? white? apple cider?
Here are my trees=
dwarf meyer
dwarf washington navel
dwarf imperial mandarin
semi dwarf navelina
semi dwarf emperor mandarin
semi dwarf lemonade

This post was edited by laidbackdood on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 11:24

o

poncirusguy, this is probably the fastest I have seen a seed-grown tree grow. I put it in a really big pot with some styrofoam chunks in it to reduce weight from the soil. I still have to use a furniture dolly (in the photo) to move it. I brought it inside last winter next to south-facing windows where it got sun and it grew all through the winter. I gave a friend some seedlings in small pots he kept outside. His trees look nice but they are a LOT smaller. My pot is a dark color so I keep it where the porch roof shades the pot during the summer. I planted some calamondin seeds in the ground probably four years ago and that tree is barely bigger than this one at half the age.

o

Here is a pic of my dwarf avocado for good measure.
Click on pic for upright view.

This post was edited by laidbackdood on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 11:30

o

I have transplanted my seed grown poncirus trifoliata to it new 28 gallon container ( half drum with soil coned up ). I brought it down from my roof top to give it a lot less exposure to sun and wind as it adjust to loss roots in the transplant. I also have about 3 to 4 weeks longer till first frost at ground level.

photo IMG_4509_zps1376a293.jpg
Poncirus trifoliata in 5 gallon bucket.

2013-8-25 poncirus trifoliata up graded from 5 gall bucket to 55 gallon half barel photo IMG_4552_zpsce249167.jpg
seed grown poncirus trifoliata in plastic half barrel after redundant and cross branches have been removed

sweetlee #1 in 4.5 gallon bucket photo sweetlee1in45gallonbucket_zps690b2fad.jpg
Seed grown sweetlee tangerine tree after transplant. After the media settles I will top off the dirt to cover the roots.

sweet lee top nagami below photo IMG_4485_zps5617284b.jpg
same tree late spring

o

Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 12:28

just repotted these into 15 gallon pots.
meyer
 photo IMG_20130913_065714_722_zpsa8ea3b04.jpg
key lime and armstrong satsuma.
 photo IMG_20130913_065726_532_zps491fb9ff.jpg

o

MeyerMike

Could you start a thread for pics of potted citrus coming in for the winter after a full summer of fun. Your threads are well visited and I want to see what other's trees did.

Steve

o

Yes, and if the photos could show a little of the indoor environment / lighting system that would be great for us newbies. Thanks-
Becky

o

Here is my fist year tree (it was a 3 yo tree when i purchased it this spring). I am concerned for the first winter bringing it in and on the fence about using supplemental lights and will probably avoid it. My kitchen is drafty and is an exterior brick wall so it stays cool near the window where the plant will be for the winter. I have a bright window and i will see how it goes.I may also prune some of the longer branches but now they are branching out close to the ends.

o

This was the same tree in March when i received it.

o

anddoggies

Here are a couple of picture of my lighting equipment. If you click on them they will open my photobucket display for many ideas. when open you can navigate with your keyboard arrow keys

new taller box 3.5 ft tall photo IMG_3615_1_zpse9a31009.jpg

3:  KUMQUAT GROWER COMPONENTS--POTTED TREE TO LEFT--CENTER IS TWO BUCKETS LINED WITH ALUMINUM & FITTED WITH AN 18 WATT BULB. TO THE RIGHT  TREE GET PLACED IN STEEL CAN AND VACUUM HOSE GOES IN HOLE IN LOWER CAN TO SUCK OUT EXCESS WATER photo IMG_3594_1_zps3a25afac.jpg

5)---meiwa kumquat tree's roots getting warmth from lights over the Broccoli plants photo IMG_3924_zpsd32ec2cd.jpg

o

Lime tree before going in greenhouse.

o

Lime tree tied up before going in greenhose.

o

Not bad everyone! I think it's time to start another thread like this since this thread is so picture laden!

Mike

o

Meyer not looking so good right now though it did just go through a big bloom cycle. I was hoping it would leaf out more.

o

My Kishu is doing well, totally covered in blooms but loved to a new location and I don't have a new picture. My page mandarin is looking amazing, it must not mind being in a pot as much as the lemon does.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here