Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding Turface

Posted by LyndaNorthCoast 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 16:51

While searching for the components necessary for Al's 1:1:1 gritty mix, I discovered that Turface is also used by bonsai growers. Checking the web for local bonsai materials in upstate NY, I turned up a source for Tuface near home. Dutch Hollow Bonsai Nursery & Store in Avon, NY. Maybe I'm the last person on earth to discover the bonsai connection, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding Turface

If you're purchasing it already packaged for bonsai, you'll pay through the nose. If it is still in its original bag (40-50#) it will be more reasonable.

Yep, I became aquainted with Turface around twenty five years ago while attending conferences and industry shows relating to the golf course industry as a consultant. Turface is first and foremost an amendment or construction material for sports fields.

I started adding it to my potting mix after that. My first bonsai mixes didn't remotely resemble what it is today and I really don't know when it became popular for that use. Quite a long time, I expect. I've pretty much lost my infatuation with Turface at this point but know where it can be purchased locally.

o

Alot of people use the oil absorbing clays also. From what Ive read, its the same thing but way cheaper and easier to find.

o

It was a 50lb bag for something like $25.00. I've sifted half of it and will use it in the 1:1:1 gritty mix for my Meyer lemon. First time I've had or transplanted a lemon. Wish me luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here