Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are Citrus Leaves Edible?

Posted by johnorange (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 17:00

Once in a while I bruise some young leaves of my Ponderosa lemons and I understand why some of the worms and other pests like citrus leaves. They smell really good! There are really only two pests I have in my area that eat the leaves, leaf miners, and swallowtail butterfly larvae. My trees are big enough now so I could harvest a few leaves now and then or use leaves off pruned branches. Are there ways we humans can also enjoy the leaves or should we remain focused on protecting the leaves from being eaten as most sane folks here are doing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are Citrus Leaves Edible?

John, the Kaffir lime is specfically grown only for its leaves. It is a main ingredient in many Thai dishes. Yes, you can use the tender leaves of many citrus trees in dishes. I think if you Google "cooking with citrus leaves", you might come up with a few hits.

Patty S.

o

Patty, I have a lime bush that isn't producing limes. Maybe I'll get a crop of leaves then :>)

My soil is terrible for citrus, mostly clay and poorly drained. It gets rock hard during the droughts of summer, like now, and it stays gummy wet during the winter. A kumquat has done great, the satsuma oranges are doing tolerably well, the lime made a few fruit that didn't fill out the year after I planted it, and the Ponderosa lemons I planted from seed have fourished. Oh, the calamondin has also done pretty well.

o

John, believe it or not, clay soil can actually be a great thing to grow citrus in, as long as you have set yourself up for the areas to drain well. It is usually recommended to plant citrus on a mound in clay soil, so it drains well, and the citrus roots don't sit in water. Clay is very rich soil, full of minerals, and citrus can thrive in clay, as long as it drains well enough. So, as you put more citrus in, just be sure they're on a mound or slope, and careful with your watering, and you should enjoy some very lovely citrus trees.

Patty S.

o

A lot of people make lemon tea with the leaves. I have made a tea with Meyer lemon leaves, Meyer lemon flowers, lemon grass and Basil that turned out to be amazing with a little honey.

o

Patty, thanks for the good words on planting in clay soil. Maybe there is still hope for some of the less-successful trees I have. Johnmerr, I'll have to try the lemon leaf tea, maybe even blend with fresh mint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here