Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer Lemon - How do you prune??

Posted by Peabody1 FL (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 05 at 17:10

We have a Meyer Lemon which is planted in the ground -- about 2 to 2-1/2 years old. Some of the branches have gone wild -- excessive growth spurt. I assume it is safe to trim these down to be more in line with the other branches of the trees. There are lemons on the tree - I don't know if any are on those long limbs or not. Is it okay to prune in July in Florida or should I wait to a certain time of the year. Also, do I need to thin out any of the interior limbs? Seems like people with fruit trees up north had to prune a certain way, so I'm trying to find out what you do to Meyer Lemon trees. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer Lemon - How do you prune??

As a general rule, citrus are *not* pruned like other fruit trees are. They need to have enough nodes to bloom/fruit and if pruned too much it really reduces the crop or you get none. Most pruning of citrus is just to remove dead branches.

If you want to shape it a bit, then just take off enough to make it pleasing to your eyes. I think you are describing "water sprouts" which are very fast growing, vertical branches. I leave them on trees that need to fill in, such as my trees that lost their tops from hurricanes. eventually the wild new growth will become more normal looking (will have brown bark)and will fruit.

If you trim the interior, you may get sun damaged fruit. The leaves give the fruit a little shade.

I don't trim my citrus unless I have to. I like the natural weeping look. My Meyer had a very wild looking, upright branch last year, I left it alone, now it has balanced itself out quite nicely.

Bottom line is, trim it if you want to, but it is fine to not trim, or just minimally trim citrus.

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here