Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thofue_gw

All of a sudden leaves turn brown and fall off

ThoFue
9 years ago

Hi all

so in short. I have three citrus trees (an orange, a meyer lemon and a tangeloe). All three have been planted about three years ago and were fine.
About two months ago with birth of new baby I didn't look at the trees anymore.
Yesterday I looked at them and I was shocked. What has happened? Since all three show the same stress i assume I do something wrong or are they just offended that I neglected them?
Please help.
---
(Watering: once a week for 45 minutes;
fertilizing: moondust from moon valley nursery in Phoenix - once a month - but last time may).
---
(All pictures were taken from south side)
First picture:
Meyer Lemon; black buds; lot of lemons with brown spots; leaves yellow and brown and dry
Second picture: close-up of tangeloe tree with yellow branches and brown/white leaves
Third picture:
Whole picture of tangeloe tree.

Any help is highly appreciated. Please don't hesitate to criticize me what I am doing wrong as long as I get my dark green leaves and tasty lemons back.

Comments (4)

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Sunburn... caused by hot temperatures and insufficient water. They will recover with adequate water and good quality citrus fertilizer. Don't know anything about your "moondust"; but you should be using something with about a 5-1-3 NPK ratio...3-1-2 is better for your Meyer; and be sure the fert. includes Mg, Ca, Fe, and Zn.

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    9 years ago

Yup, this is exactly what i see / saw after pulling back on irrigation this past May. And then (of course) while away on travel a sudden heat wave with 100F+ hit.

Here in Northern CA i must irrigate lightly every other day, and try to get a decent soak in every 7-10 days. If i don't the pictures you posted look familiar.

A word of caution about the fertilizer... - unless you are assured that the hydration is back up to where it needs to be, the solid/granular fertilizer will burn the roots. In this case what has worked for me is a liquid fertilizer applied weekly to a pre-wet root area.

The recovery will take time so be patient. Good luck!
    - George

• ThoFue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the hints. I already increased watering.

@BECAUSEICAN (or anybody else with an answer:

What liquid fertilizer do you use? I looked online and only found to websites with liquid fertilizers specifically for citrus trees but they are expensive.
    Any links, brands, stores?

Thank you!!!

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    9 years ago

I alternate between a couple of them; always with added vinegar due to my irrigation water pH of 9+.
    Most often it is Liquid Gold (Master Nursery/EBStone) [15-6-3]
    Then, Foliage Pro [9-3-6]
    And lastly once every 2 months (and because i bought a bunch of it years ago-cheap) Miracle Grow - very weak solution.

this is not a cheap method, but its the only way i have found to feed the citrus during the heat season and keep it growing without using excessive water. [there are improvements and changes that i need to make to the irrigation, but unable to attack that project at this time. So i am stuck with what i have for now].

I used to mix it all in a watering can and apply to pre-wet soil. I mixed for a 1 gallon amount, but in a full 1.5 gallon can (so a bit weaker solution). 1 can per tree (or more if taller than 6ft.). Today i tried a sprayer and believe it worked well. I used a Hudson hand-held sprayer that has a metering knob. I could turn the liquid addition off, and then adjust up to 1 Tbsp /gal. This turned out to be a much faster and more convenient method (45 citrus trees) so i think i will stick with it.

-George