Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Valencia orange - fruit only on lower branches

Posted by julie_2006 No. CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 18:18

I am new to citrus growing, so please bear with me. I've searched the posts on this forum but haven't found an answer. Hopefully someone can help. My 3 year old dwarf seedless Valencia orange is planted in the ground in mostly full sun and looks very healthy. There is lots of very dense foliage and new growth (looks more like a bush than a tree), but I'm baffled as to why there is only fruit on the lower part of the tree. The oranges are good size but they are almost completely hidden in the foliage so they never get any sun on them. They taste more sour than sweet. Is this just a normal growth habit for this type of orange, or should I prune to open it up to let light in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Valencia orange - fruit only on lower branches

i dont think the fruits themselves need light. are these oranges from last year?

o

Yes the oranges are from last year. They are yellow-orange with a hint of green at the stem area.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 14:07

I don't think you have anything to worry about or to correct. You can chalk it all up to the tree still being pretty young. Valencias are generally good about not needing any pruning and setting the proper amount of fruit that it can bear. The oranges will sweeten up if you let them sit longer on the tree.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 14:09

I don't think you have anything to worry about or to correct. You can chalk it all up to the tree still being pretty young. Valencias are generally good about not needing any pruning and setting the proper amount of fruit that it can bear. The oranges will sweeten up if you let them sit longer on the tree.

o

Its OK. Most Citrus trees have a tendency to bloom/fruit from the bottom up.

o

Thank you for your help! I will put the pruners away and let the tree decide how it wants to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here