Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone ever used this fertilizer?

Posted by msugrl2010 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 18:20

I will be receiving an oroblanco yearling very soon and I am prepping for its arrival.

for fertilizing the tree I am thinking about using Dr. Earth fruit tree fertilizer and Neptune's Harvest Organic fish and seaweed blend fertilizer.

Has anyone ever used these products? and if you haven't, what is everyone's take on using these anyway? I really like using organic products, so if someone can let me know what they think about these 2 or give me the name of a successful organic fertilizer that they use for their citrus tree that'd be great!! :)!

Dr Earth link
http://www.groworganic.com/dr-earth-fruit-tree-742-4-lb.html

Neptune fish and seaweed fertilizer link
http://shakayanaturalusa.com/shop/article_NEH-FS118/Neptune%27s-Harvest-Organic-Fish-and-Seaweed-Blend-Fertilizer.html?pse=epx

msugrl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone ever used this fertilizer?

I have used The Neptune Fish & Seaweed Fertilizer as a foliar application. Dr. Earth are good products, but as you can see, very, very expensive. You'll go through that bag with only two applications. And know this about organic fertilizers, they have to be broken down in to their inorganic chemical forms for your tree to be able to absorb. You have to use far more volume of organic fertilizers to equal the same fertilizing effect from non-organic fertilizers. So, for me, with as many citrus trees as I have, I opt for non-organic fertilizers in combination with composting. If you can afford to use organic fertilizers, both of these products are very good products.

Patty S.

o

Patty,

Ah I see, I only have this one little tree, so I think it is much more reasonable for me to use organic products than for you in my situation, I wouldn't be able to do it either if I had many trees :P. How much more do you think I'll have to use for my yearling tree? double the application amount written on the dr.earth bag? I just don't want to burn it by using too much fertilizer at once, which is why I was thinking about using the neptune and dr earth product at the same time.

Thanks for your advice!
MSUgrl

o

If your tree is in the ground (not sure where you live, you can add that to your GW sig - see mine), follow the instructions based on trunk caliper. Be sure to distribute the fertilizer at the drip line (edge of canopy). Fertilize your new citrus every 2 to 3 months during your growing season (for me in S. Calif, that's Feb through Oct). If you have a container citrus, then I would defer to MeyerMike and other container experts. I used DynaGro and Osmocote Plus for my container citrus, and fertilize with DynaGro every other month. I apply Osomocote about every 3 to 4 months. It can get very dry here during the summer, and fairly warm, and If my container citrus are dry, I flood the pot, so that tends to wash out all the fertilizer, hence I need to fertilize my container citrus more.

Patty S.

o

I live in S.E. Michigan where we are lucky if we get to see spring instead of 3 more months of cold, nasty winter, LOL so my tree will be in a pot. Yes Mike told me he uses dynagro and osmocote on his potted trees too. I've also read a lot of good reviews by people who used Dr. Earth and Neptune's for their potted citrus, and the application directions on the dr. earth fertilizer does go by the diameter of the trunk (I just found the directions online). It's 1 cup per inch of trunk diameter. I doubt my tree will even have an inch diameter trunk, they're usually pretty spindally when they're a year old. I think I'll try this stuff first, apply it once a month along with some neptune fish and seaweed product, and if I see my tree struggling I'll immediately switch over to the dynagro and osmocote. The great thing is it won't be a waste of a product because I intend to buy my Dad a young peach tree for Father's day next year, and I'll use the product on that tree to keep it going.

Thanks again for your opinion! :) and I'll definitely keep in mind how quickly the fertilizer can wash out of the potted plant.

Oh one last thing, Do you know how long these trees generally live when they're in pots? and what's the final size of pot that I can expect to put the tree in once it's big enough (so I know I won't have to keep transitioning it up to another bigger pot). The tree will probably get to about 10 feet tall, right? (assuming it lives long enough to get this big, lol).

MSUgrl

o

I would imagine your Oroblanco would live 20 to 40 years if properly cared for and re-potted as needed. I know there are citrus trees in containers in Italy that are at least that old, but most are outside all year 'round. I doubt your tree will get that large, unless you have it in a very sizable container, which can present transportation problems :-) If on truly dwarfing rootstock (such as what Four Winds uses), that would probably be the max height in the ground. Maybe to 12 feet. In a pot, much smaller.

Patty S.

o

oh nice! So what is likely to be the biggest size that most would be in a pot? This is probably a stupid question, but do they pretty much stop growing once they get to a certain size when they are in a pot? and this is why most would never get to 12ft in a pot? I only ask because you said to repot them as needed, but wouldn't they eventually need to be potted up to a pot size that would allow them to get to their maximum height? LOL. I'm new to growing citrus so I'm still trying to learn as much as I can. I really appreciate all the info you're giving me! It gives me a much better idea of what to expect with my citrus. My little oroblanco will be here in 5 days :)! (4 winds is mailing it out on Monday), So excited!! :)!

MSUgrl

o

Well, it depends on the rootstock your tree is on, MSUgrl. If this is coming from Four Winds, most likely it's on Cuban Shaddock which is very dwarfing. So, safely I would say 8 to 10 feet max and that would be in a BIG pot. Yes, a pot restricts root growth, and hence overall tree growth. Even as you pot up. A container citrus for the most part will never match the size that same tree can attain if planted in the ground and roots have unrestricted growth opportunities. Do take care to bring it in when the temps threaten to drop below 40. Cuban Shaddock rootstock is rather cold sensitive (as opposed to Trifoliate 'Flying Dragon', the other true dwarfing rootstock.)

Patty S.

o

Oh I didnt know that, Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to watch the temperatures at it gets closer to October. Here September is still pretty warm, and often til the end of October. I'll take a picture of my plant once he arrives! :)!

msugrl

o

Hu Msugrl

I am still trying this month and after 4 months, nothing on my trees.

Patty touched on may great points! Happy growing.

Remember: Container and ground growing are two different worlds.

Mike:-)

o

Mike,

do you mean you are still trying the dr. earth and neptune products and nothing bad has happened to your trees? lol! so you would deem Dr. Earth and neptune to be 2 good products for a potted citrus? I just want to make sure I understand and I don't accidentally kill my tree (He'll be in in 4 days!!! yay!! :D)

msugrl

o

Hello//////:-)

What I am saying is that I have given it a try to see if it works like the reviews say and the product itself claims, and I am finding that it is doing nothing for my trees that I have tested it with thus far.

What has faithfully worked for my trees thus far all the time/years, are fertilizers such as Foliage Pro which provide all the major and micronutrients in the right proportions every time.

I hope you get better results. It seems to me over the years that less people have success, or at least over the long haul, with organics in pots than chemical fertilizers themselves. This explains the lack of participation, response from huge successes, and a lack of beautiful trees through years of use of products like these organics in pots through photos and or threads here.
If all of a sudden anyone makes claims at this time, I will tend to think it's because the challenge was brought up by me just now,and then I would only be suspicous.

The only thing Neptune Harvest has ever done for my trees is give them a quick boost through soil watering, then a disappointment, but it has always been great for keeping pests at bay if I use it for foliar spraying.

Now if you ask me how this stuff has affected my plants in my garden beds, WOOOOOO, the best stuff I have ever come across.

Mike:-)

o

Ah I see what you mean Mike. But if I use foliage pro won't I have to use other things to counter-act some of its side-effects? on here I have heard about people having to use white vinegar to counter act salt build up from Foliage Pro (but maybe I am wrong and am thinking about something else). If I use Foliage Pro, what other products will I have to use with it?

Thanks!
Msugrl

o

If your growing in a pot I would suggest starting with this...

http://www.wayfair.com/Hydro-Organics-Amazon-Bloom-Planting-Mix-HOF24270-NRB1009.html?refid=GX8033647620-NRB1009&gclid=CM62o7Hiv7ECFQgJRQodAzUAVA

But then again, your in a cold environment so you will probably want to use a gritty mix to cut back on moisture and water retention. SO if you are going to use a "gritty mix" type mix I would suggest using the foliage pro. BUT if you are dead set on going all organic in your environment I would suggest the amazon bloom grow soil above (which has TONS of great stuff in it) and supplement with the dr. earth or liquid organic teas. You have to remember with organic feeding (especially in a pot) you have to rely on the bacteria to break down the food to feed your plants and to start that can take a little while, that is why I recommended the amazon bloom mix to start because it is full of micro organisms. This is a good tea but pricey...

http://www.advancednutrients.com/hydroponics/products/mother_earth_super_tea/mother_earth_super_tea_product_information.php

Also, I have been reading in the container forum about root pruning Vs. potting up. They say only to pot up when you want a bigger tree. But if your happy with the size of your tree, root pruning every 3 years or so is the way to go.

o

blazeaglory,

Thanks for all the info! it helps a lot!

msugrl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here