Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achilles_gw

Fruit cocktail tree

achilles
17 years ago

Has anybody heard of a fruit cocktail tree? My cousin told me his friend used to have one and it grew at least three separate fruits at the same time. They all were regular fruit that tasted great, not a blend of the fruits. The guy picked lemons, oranges, and some other fruit at the same time. Is it real?

Comments (27)

• citrusboy
    17 years ago

Yes, you can buy special order from some nursuries, if you're lucky you may find one there. Wholesale growers like Durling's and Four Wind's in California grow a multi citrus tree. They are typically pretty expensive. If you are good at grafting, you can make your own a lot cheaper. Orchard Supply can special order from Four Winds... Good Luck

Citrusboy

• bencelest
    17 years ago

Wallmart and Home Depot sell them in my area. But you'll have to watch out for which one is dominant of the three, you'll have to prune it to make all equal in size.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I bought one at a local nursery. Unfortunately I'm not sure what type of fruit besides oranges and limes are growing from it. Those are the only two which have ripened so far and I can't tell the difference by looking at or smelling the leaves. I thought the price was pretty good. I got a 6' tree on sale for $30.
    Karyn

• sjeffery
    17 years ago

Hi Karyn,
    I would LOVE to see a picture of your fruit cocktail tree! Did you get it at that nursery on Good Hope Road? Stephanie

• knepper3
    17 years ago

Wow, a 6' tree for $30. That is a GREAT price, I couldnt get any citrus from my local nursery's for that price and a fruit cocktail tree is about $100+ I think. I had room so I just bought 4 different citrus trees, but would like to create a cocktail tree out of 1 of mine but dont have anywhere to get graphs of other varieties.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Yes Stephanie I got it there. He still has a bunch but the $75 tags are on them. If you ask he'll probably sell it to you for $30. The parts of the tree that have fruit can't be seen from this pic.
    Karyn
    {{gwi:607315}}

• sjeffery
    17 years ago

Hi Karyn,
    I would LOVE to see a picture of your fruit cocktail tree! Did you get it at that nursery on Good Hope Road? Stephanie

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Stephanie look at the post directly above yours! lol
    karyn

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Karyn, what a beautiful tree..did u say there were 3 types of fruits on it? Have they ever all fruit at the same time?

• karyn1
    17 years ago

The orange and lime were producing fruit when I bought it. I'm not sure what all is grafted onto the tree. The tag doesn't specify it just shows a pic with a bunch of different citrus. There are at least 3 different types of leaves though.
    Karyn

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

I'd love finding one..where did you get yours, Karyn? Toni

• karyn1
    17 years ago

There's a small nursery near my house that specializes in water gardens, exotics and bonsai. It's deceptive at first because it's kind of messy and unorganized but some of his plants are just beautiful. He carries things that I can't find anywhere else locally. He has a couple mango trees that are covered in fruit that I've had my eye on. I realize that doesn't help you being in Il. lol
    Karyn

• sjeffery
    17 years ago

Hey Karyn,
    I didn't realize we could grow oranges in our area. I thought we didn't have enough heat/warmth for them to sweeten having to take them in for the winter. Of course, what I don't know about citrus far exceeds what I do know!!! Mango trees??? How cool would that be! I'm still looking for a Persian Lime. I may have to pay another visit to that nursery. Dangerous place............. :) Stephanie

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Stephanie, citrus can be grown almost anywhere, but the problem is, we who live in cold climates have a bit more work to do, and a challenge. :)

Do you need the names of online citrus nursery's? Prices range between 15.00 and 20.00 per tree..Toni

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Stephanie that nursery is a VERY dangerous place for me. The middle row of benches and floor area in the greenhouse with the citrus is packed full of some really cool plants. He has a 12-15' unnamed plumeria that's only $125. If I didn't already have so many I'd have bought it. It's just so unorganized that you really have to search and make your way through the "greenhouse jungle". He doesn't mark many of his plants and comes up with prices willy nilly. We've gotten to know each other and he'll give me some good deals which is nice. He's also interested in some of the plants that I've been growing, especially my brug and plumeria seedlings as well as my clerodendron and passiflora cuttings. Maybe I'll be able to work out some sort of trades : )
    Karyn

PS: I did see a couple of Persian limes the last time I was there.

• becky8
    17 years ago

My grandfather tried to "make his own" by grafting - we ended up with all the same fruit on the tree that LOOKED like lovely oranges but TASTED like lemon/limes! Ick!
    The tree is still in the front yard at his FL house, and we still laugh about it when we visis and try to get new people to try one! Haha!

• xenozoon
    17 years ago

I've got one that's been in the ground for roughly 4 years. I bought it with 5 varieties on it: Bearrs lime, Meyer lemon, valencia orange, Lane's late navel orange, and honey mandarin. It is growing well and producing fruit from all of those branches. The problem with this tree is that the lime branch grows so much faster than the other varieties. I need to prune it ruthlessly. Last year I thought, rather than just continue to prune the lime, I'd graft more varieties onto the cut branches. So now the tree has a Moro blood orange branch and a Chandler pommelo branch, neither of which has bloomed yet. This multi-grafted tree enables my wife and I to harvest several kinds of citrus from our tiny urban yard. The fruit is all good, abundant, and tastes like it is supposed to.

• benjamin_grow
    16 years ago

I just bought the same tree with the five citrus listed by xenozoon from the Garden View Wholesale Nursery located at:
    12901 Lower Azusa Rd, Baldwin Park, CA:
    So glad to hear that your tree is doing well...maybe I have a chance with mine in Orange County.
    All branches look healthy except the mandarin looks really small compare to the Meyers Lemon and the navel orange.
    How often do you have to prune back the aggressive branches? thanks
    Ben

• rent4u2
    15 years ago

My Neighbor is getting his 1st REAL Harvest... for the very 1st time... this year JULY 2008... He planted about 3 years ago.... It's the crazest tree... you've ever HAVE seen.... everything is on this tree....now when the banana's and oranges....apples start showing up ON TREE...that's when I'M CALLING THE NATIONAL ENQUIRER!!! A HUGE flock of deer looked at tree last night 7-23-08....EVEN they looked at the tree...but couldn't figure out if they wanted to approach tree or not.... I wish I had my Video camera.... Now when I see a CHIMP climbing up... that tree... I'm calling DAVID LETTERMAN!!! I'm going to take alot of pictures in the next few weeks...more to follow... dc

• bdiggin
    14 years ago

I have one of these, too; peaches, plums, apricots and nectarines.

Here is a link that might be useful: the Fruit Cocktail Tree experiment

• annell125
    14 years ago

I bought two last year. There is a limb for each of the following fruits:
    Peach
    Plum
    Necterine
    Apricot
    Last year there were small fruits on the limbs which I removed. I was told to remove them to encourage root growth. I can't wait until they are bigger and I can harvest the fruit.

• mrtexas
    14 years ago

The link shows what happens, one variety always outgrows the other.

I have around 25 trees in the ground, with 8-10 more than 6 years old and making fruit. I do have multi-graft trees:

-1 sanguinelli blood, tarocco blood, midnight valencia pretty balanced. Eventually I'll lop of the tarocoo(too late and I have already a single tree just coming into bearing) and midnight valencia(too late)

-2 chandler pummelo, mato buntan pummelo, cocktail grapefruit hybrid. Newly grafted, got rid of panzarella orange and wekiwa tangelo neither of which is that great tasting.

-3 golden grapefruit, ruby red grapefruit, bloomsweet grapefruit, sulcata sweet lemon. I just lopped off half the tree to grow duncan grapefruit. Eventually I'll lop off everything but the duncan or not as I've already planted a single duncan and rio red grapefruit, the best tasting grapefruit by far. Tree is pretty balanced.

-4 changshou kumquat, meiwa kumquat. I just lopped off half the tree and put xia shan satsuma. I can't eat a whole trees worth of kumquats.

I plan on grafting miyagawa and xia shan satsuma on to the top of two of my satsuma trees as I'd like to taste the fruit and not wait for small trees to come into bearing.

My multi-graft trees are pretty much my experimental varieties.

If you have the room, plant one tree per variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: multi graft

• louisianagrl
    12 years ago

Can someone please teach me to graft citrus. Please!

• Frenchy5630
    11 years ago

I live in the Inland Empire, California and would like to know where I can purchase a fruit cocktail tree.

• ralph31558
    11 years ago

I used to live in nassau county long island, and i like to try different things, i had ordered a frui coctail tree from one of the catalogs just for the heck of it thinking to myself what the heck, to my surprise it grew and produced plums, peaches, necterines,and apricots they grew to be full size and were great tasting. I moved to Gerogia and ordered the tree again,and did this 4 times with no luck. i figured it needed a long cold dormant period.so under the right conditions it will grow.

• bunny_foofoo
    10 years ago

I think you can special order these through Home Depot. I live in FL and have seen them in the garden section.

• Cecillia Bredeson
    2 years ago

I live in California and I had a fruit cocktail tree it had Peach apricot plum a nectarine and it grew very delicious fruit full size I lost it 2 years ago due to the winds blowing so hard that it blew the tree over and broke its main route I'm planning on buying a another one This year I like the fact that each fruit variety came off at different times so I didn't have to rush to try and get them all off at one time I could enjoy them has the variety came ripe this is a good idea for people that don't have a lot of room to grow all the fruit that they'd like to have can you get at 4 different fruit varieties off of One Tree