Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Can anyone tell which one? Picture

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

Can anyone tell which ones are in the Coco Nut Husk Chips? and in the 5.1.1 mix? 2 were planted into the coco just for an experiment.

{{gwi:607520}}

{{gwi:601350}}

{{gwi:607523}}

{{gwi:607525}}

{{gwi:607526}}

{{gwi:607529}}

All but the top one were transplanted at the same time, and 2 out of the rest are not doing so well? Can you guess?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do to green the ones up in the coconut? Or what do you suggest I do since it is late into the season? Is it too late to transplant? I would love and welcome your ideas! What mix would you sue? I would like them to look like my others...Help!!!

Thank you so much

Mike

Comments (10)

• drunkenmonk
    13 years ago

Hey mike,

Is the coco husks holding water well? You may have to soak them in a tub if they are being hydrophobic :P

Im sure you can re-pot citrus most of the year at least i do with out much effect if you take good care when doing so.

It kinda looks like the leaves are starting to droop.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

It's not uncommon to have the chlorosis your plants are exhibiting accompanying the use of soils that have large fractions of coir or CHCs. I mentioned (I think here) recently that there are pH issues associated with the use of CHCs that make many of the minor elements difficult for plants to assimilate, and excess water retention can make it difficult for root function/metabolism to work at the level of the plants genetic potential within the limiting constraints of other cultural factors.

When making your own soil with CHCs, it's virtually impossible to use lime a a source of Ca/Mg because of CHC's already high pH. Odds are very good you're seeing some of the results of that high pH level in the chlorosis, as noted. If you don't/can't use lime you may well need to go to using gypsum + Epsom salts as your sources because almost all soluble fertilizers that utilize urea for their N lack Ca and Mg. These compounds are very good choices because their impact on pH is not significant enough to be a consideration.

The things I would suggest, in the order I would select:

* Start the repotting process into a durable, fast draining soil with a more favorable pH asap.

* Acidify your irrigation water to help compensate for the high media pH. Add enough vinegar or citric acid (find where they sell supplies to make wine) to bring your irrigation water to a pH * If it was someone else, I would caution them to water correctly, so they are flushing the soil at every watering, but I'm sure you're wellversed in how to water correctly, so I'll spare the details.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Good luck, but I'm sure you'll have everything straightened out in no time. Be sure to remember this thread so you can post pictures and let us know what you did.

Al

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hey, Mike!
    My own eyes tell me that Al's conclusions are correct!

Even if I couldn't see which plants are in Bark versus Coco, I would still
    favor the uniform, green foliage of the plants in the Bark. Not a fair test, I suppose! ;)

Thanks for saving me the trouble of ever messing with this "stuff."

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you drunkenmonk, I hope you were sober when you looked at my pictures..lol
    Yes, it stays moist...

Thank you Al..

Your QUICK response, wow, and willingness to help so many ways is ALWAYS appreciated.. Not just that, but your vast knowledge and experience of the workings of fertilizer in mixes, pH values, different minors such as Ca, Mg, and Fe and their relationship with each other, continues to amaze me.. If what you say is true, then this could explain my I have failed my plants so many times over in CHC's. I guess it is not as easy to grow in them as many might think..Humm
    I was hoping with the right fertilizers, and the know how of watering correctly now, would make it possible for me to try what left over Coco I have left, but NO,as it seems...:-(

I am about ready to dump the stuff into the garden, unless someone can give another idea. I have already offered this stuff to many, and no one has taken me up on the offer..Strange..

I will consider your suggestion and advice very seriously ,because I want these leaves and the plants to look as healthy as possible as soon as possible and not continue to diminsih it vitslity. I will repot this weekend if that is what it comes too.
    Maybe before then someone else might have a few good ideas I could consider too?.I am open to all kinds of ideas..

Mike..;-)

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

I'm with Josh!

Hi guys! Josh, Al, Mike!
    Mike,
    What were you thinking..??? LOL!
    Next time only use one plant for a guinea pig.. ;)

If it were me, i'd cut my loss and put it in the dumpster not the garden. ;)

Now quick,,, do as Al suggests and take care of them babies! :)

See you guys later.
    JoJo

• mgk65
    13 years ago

Mike: Are you fertilizing as you do the other trees?

As we've discussed, I've had mine in CHC for about 4 months now and have not had much compression of the CHC and the trees seem to be doing well.

One thing I do notice is that the water moves through the media very fast and I need to water every couple of days.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hey, JoJo!

Mike,
    you could definitely work it into the garden!
    Or...you could weave yourself a nice welcome mat...
    Or...you could use it for the fur of a Sasquatch (Bigfoot) statue.... ;)

Trust me, it looks exactly like the Bigfoot hair I find around here... ;)

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Guesss the Coir experts had no interest in seeing me succeed as usual. SO MUCH FOR ALL THE COCONUT SUPPORT..

Think I will stick to the bark as usual. This was a chance to show everyone else how much backing you get on growing in coir...Thank you Al for coming to my rescue along with everyone else who was concerned enough to see me care for my plants properly in Coir.. It is the same thing as last time I tried..
    No hope for my plants in Coir

Thank to all the bark experts, I will post my plants once I see any improvements and thank you again.

For anyone that was sarcastic with my approach for encouraging any here to grow in bark based mixes, this was your chance to help.
    I ask you to please stop harping on the ones that have always been here with instant support and a genuine interest in helping others to succeed in better mixes..

My plants would be DEAD by the time any Coir experts would step up to the plate as in past years..Thanks anyway..

I have decided to switch my plants out of the coir for the fact they are declining to quickly to wait upon Coco helpers

I must than Mgk for being the only one to step up and try to help in private. Thank you so much

Thanks

Mike

• mgk65
    13 years ago

Mike I did ask you a question above.

Since you are going to repot, it would be very interesting to see what the roots and media look like when you repot. Could you please take some pictures of both?

Thank you!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just one month, and now my plants that were growing in Coconut Husk Chips and repotted into the 5.1.1 mix with bark, are so much healthier and happier..

Thank you to all those that encouraged me to repot and how, especially Al..Thank you!

The ponderosa that was loosening it leaves, turning yellow, and loosing the fruit..The leaves have gotten greener, held on to the only fruit left..

{{gwi:607531}}

{{gwi:607532}}

{{gwi:607534}}

Then my Lemon meter that was very yellow and had stunted growth..It has almost doubled and looking real green again..

{{gwi:607536}}

{{gwi:607539}}

{{gwi:607542}}

I am so excited..Again thanks..

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County