Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small black bugs on Orange Tree soil.

Posted by Rancho Los Angeles (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 18:56

Hi there!

I have a small Valencia orange tree and a dwarf navel orange tree in 22" pots. They're both about 3 feet tall and producing fruit (even though it's common place to find fruit in the dirt every morning). Lately I've noticed (I have to look very closely) these tiny black bugs cruising around the soil and the pot (not really on the plant itself). They MAY be winged creatures, but I'm not sure. They're smaller than a mosquito -- probably 1/4 - 1/2 the size. The majority of them are on the Valencia orange tree soil, but I've also noticed them on the navel pot and a few here and there on my other plants.

Like I said, they are hard to see unless I'm looking closely at the soil, but there seems to be a TON of them.

My question is... Does this ring a bell with anyone as to what these might be? Should I be concerned with these bugs and if so, what's the best way to get rid of them?

I water my orange trees once every 2-3 days usually. I use Miracle grow soil and organic citrus fertilizer.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-A worried gardener in Los Angeles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small black bugs on Orange Tree soil.

Of course, this will be a WAG (wild arse guess) but whenever I hear anyone talk about lots of little black or dark critters in the soil, I think of springtails. They would be more common in a peaty MiracleGro potting mix as opposed to something coarser in texture.

Do you notice these little things mostly when you water?

o

I would suggest fungus GNATS. I find them in parts of my moist pots and soil. Plump little bugs with clear wings almost too invisible and small to see. When they are crawling (as opposed to flying) you can barely see the wings. The gnats in the pic are DEAD.

o

I can't say that I 've ever noticed 'a ton' of adult fungus gnats hanging around in the soil....but maybe we need to hear more about the behavior of these critters from rancho. Like has he been bombarded with annoying little gnats flying all over the place? It wouldn't be the first time that we didn't find out all the details.

But what I want to know, blaze, is how the HECK you managed to collect so many? Lol

o

I googled all of them..haha

o
RE: Small black bugs on

Funny I was thinking the same thing about how the heck that person got all those GNATS! (forgot to post)

o

lolol....that's funny...you devil.

o

Did you ever identify those critters, tiny black bug, some with wings. Termites,? Please, if you now know what these are I would like to know, joined gw just to message you Rancho/Anyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here