Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eureka Dwarf Lemon - Graft line help

Posted by zohar CA, East Bay (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 19:19

Hi,

I planted 16 months ago a Eureka Dwarf bought at Lowe's. The tree is growing like no tomorrow and now 6 feet. TheA branch is the dominate but the B branch also growing more or less the same. Leaves are the same. Can I tell if A (or B) are good or just a root stock?

Regards,
Zohar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eureka Dwarf Lemon - Graft line help

inside the circle

Steve

o

Second that

ditto

I agree with the assessment

o

Steve and Scott, thank you so much, you input is highly appreciated. I will keep the tree and hopeful will have lemons sometime.

It is growing very much. Do I need to put it under stress in order to have flowers?

Thanks,
Zohar

o

What are the numbers on your fertilizer?

o

My tree, like me, does not like stress, It stresses us out.

But I'm no expert, just a tree owner, who posts on a forum.

o

Do NOT stress your tree. It is already of bearing age. I plan to stress my juvenile tree to see ir it will flower for its first time.

Steve

o

Zohar, stressing your tree is not the way to develop fruit. Providing good nutrition, adequate water and plenty of sunshine are the keys. I would consider mulching under your tree to conserve water (I see the cracks in your soil), unless you're on clay. Which may cause too much water retention. Be sure to fertilize every 3 months with the appropriate amount of a good quality citrus fertilizer that has the proper NPK ratio, along with a full complement of micronutrients. Your tree is young, and it will flower and fruit if you provide it what it needs.

Patty S.

o

Hi All,

I'm using Dr. Earth Fruit Tree organic fertilizer 7-4-2. I use 2 cups each month (since the tree is 2 years old). I use compost from my compost bin under the canopy. I water 7.5 gallons with drips every 3 days. On top of it, I also use a special home prepared fertilize recipe given to me by arborist every 3 months with Actinovate, growers secret, liqinox Citrus and other ingredients diluted with water for all my fruit trees and roses.

I indeed have a clay soil and thinking on covering it with bark next year.

Zohar

o

Well, I would be careful mulching under the tree, then. You want to make sure your tree's root area is draining well. Clay can be wonderful soil to plant in, as it is rich in minerals (your micros). But, it can have drainage issues as I'm sure you're aware. For citrus, it is helpful to plant them on a mound, to promote better drainage. If your tree continues to appear chlorotic, I would increase your fertilizer (lemons just seem to need more fertilizer in general, I have found, especially Meyer lemons), and make sure your root area is not staying too wet. This can cause an overall chlorotic appearance, as the roots are being damaged by too much water (suffocating), and are not able to take up nutrients. Otherwise, sounds like you've got a great system going.

Patty S.

o

Thanks Patty.

Zohar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here