Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Washington Navel or Valencia?

Posted by njoasis 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 19:38

Is anyone able to tell from the picture whether this tree is a Valencia or a Washington Navel?

Here is a link that might be useful: Navel or Valencia Orange?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Washington Navel or Valencia?

Hi Njoasis..

It looks like a "washington Navel" to me...If I am correct, those fruits will taste sweet and will be very juicy!

Good growing..

Mike..:-)

o

I agree that it has more of a navel look about it, but the photo doesn't show the one sure way to tell -- look at the stylar end of the fruit and see -- do they have navels? If so, it's a navel orange. If not, it's not a navel orange and may (or may not) be 'Valencia'. Growing conditions will affect size, shape, and color, but if they were in Florida, I'd certainly agree with Mike's assessment -- the fruits are a bit wide and a bit rough-looking (bumpy peel) to be Valencia, but that would be totally normal for Washington.

o

Thank you so much I will check for the "navels". I got sloppy with my labeling I guess. P.S. Meyermike, I received an early birthday present--a Redblush grapefruit (said to be a semi-dwarf). Now my citrus collection is nearly complete--except for the citron (Citrus medica a.k.a. 'etrog').

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here