Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equinecpa

Grasshopper Wars

equinecpa
12 years ago

About three weeks ago I bought a beautiful meyer lemon tree. It's about 5 feet tall with about 10 lemons on it. Since that day it's been attacked by just about every bug imaginable-the worst of which are the grasshoppers. We have an epidemic of grasshoppers -they are eating everything in the garden, in the fields, everywhere.

I've been spraying with insect soap but it's not deterring these pests. Today I noticed they've been stripping bark.

I was trying to rid them via organic means but now I just want to get rid of them. What is best to kill the grasshoppers? I have Sevin concentrate but it doesn't say the dilution rate for citrus trees and grasshoppers.

The tree is in a container and I also think the soil may not be draining as well as it could. We've had 100 degree weather for weeks so I was watering about 3 times a week. The leaves yellowed and are now dropping so I've backed off. A moisture guage still shows quite moist and I haven't watered for 3 or 4 days.

The tree quite frankly looks horrible. I feel terrible it was so beautiful 3 weeks ago and now it's dropping leaves like mad, losing them to bugs and now getting its bark stripped.

Would I be better off considering the climate/insect problems I'm facing outside to bring the plant in to help it recover? I know they like a lot of light - I do have West facing French doors I could place it in.

What can I do for this plant?

Carolyn

Comments (4)