Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Anyone know anything about Pomona Lemons?

californian
16 years ago

I saw a variety of Lemon named Pomona at Home Depot today. What little information I could find was its supposed to be a sweet, low acid lemon with few seeds. Has anyone grown or tasted it and can you comment? How big is the tree, and does it look better or worse than say a Eureka? The tree they had was a semidwarf, does anyone know how big a standard would get if I could find one? The reason I ask is I have this terrible clay soil that will turn most standard trees into dwarfs, and dwarfs hardly grow at all.

Comments (15)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

California..I did some reseach, but there's very little information.
    Pomona is a city in Ca..LOL..
    Also, according to Wikipedia, Pomona (in Roman Mythology) was a was a goddess of fruit trees, gardens and orchards.
    There is a Pomona apple tree..
    I know two women who own nurseries who might be able to help..If you'd like, I'll write them to see if they have an answer..Toni

• news2me
    16 years ago

The ponderosa lemon is a cross between a lemon and a citron so it's not a true lemon. It has huge fruit with very thick peels and pulp. They are very fragrant though. I cut mine open and use it as an air freshioner. It last for 2 to 3 weeks.

• honeybunny442
    16 years ago

This is a Pomona lemon, not a ponderosa.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Oh Sorry California and News2..I didn't know you meant Ponderosa..never heard the term Pomona Lemon in place of Ponderosa before..Toni

• anncovina
    16 years ago

I have one in my back yard that I am training on an espalier. It is only about two years old and I had some watering issues and haven't seen any ripe fruit yet. It has very nice big shiney leaves with a wonderful scent to them that reminds me of kafir lime. Mine is a standard and is keeping up nicely with a standard orange. You asked if it looked better than a eureka (almost anything does, right ?). I can not comment on tree shape as mine is heavily pruned but the leaves are much nicer, maybe even better that a Myer. As a child we had very heavy clay and my parents got around it by digging the planting hole very big and deep (hire a day worker) adding mulch and with very generous mulching twice a year. good luck

• californian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I went ahead and bought the Pomona Lemon tree. It has two tiny lemons on it already. The only info I could find on it was on the tag and advertisements on the internet. It is supposed to be productive, and have low acid sweet tasting fruit with very little seeds. I hope its not another kind of lemon that was discovered in the city of Pomona and is supposed to have an insipid taste. I did notice the nice lemony aroma from the leaves.

• MrClint
    16 years ago

We're talking "Pomona sweet lemon" here, so do your web searches accordingly. I have no first hand experience with this type of lemon, but hope to plant one soon if I can find it here locally.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garden Compass: Tantalizing Citrus

• honeybunny442
    16 years ago

I bought one off ebay and it came with two fruit on it, a little bigger than golf balls. One was half broken off, so we pulled it off. It was still green, but I cut it in half to try it, and was surprised by the taste. Quite sweet, and not tart at all, I mean zero!
    My husband didn't like it at all, said he needed the tartness to have a good flavor.

• californian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Found this info:
    Pomona Sweet Lemon A true sweet lemon - flavorful, medium-sized fruit is excellent for use in juice and cooking. Few seeds. Beautiful flowers are blushed pink. Vigorous, upright shrub is self-fertile.

• tjrobertt
    10 years ago

I just planted one - also got it (cheap) at Home Depot.
    Found a little info on it, and on MANY other citrus at
    http://www.lavernenursery.com/
    The above post is very similar to what they have to say about the P.S.L.

• honeybunny442
    10 years ago

I don't care for the taste of mine. A lemon with no tartness is too strange. Mine also seems to want more water than my other citrus varities.

• winduptoy
    8 years ago

Bought mine at Home Depot last year. Producing fruit right now. I don't care for the taste of these lemons. No tartness. Absolutely no pucker power. Can be eaten like an orange with sweet and mild being predominant taste for me. Not what I want from a lemon. Will be buying a Meyer.

• gregbradley
    8 years ago

The 1913 freeze killed most of the citrus in this area. LaVerne, Claremont, Upland along the base of the foothills and Pomona & Ontario in the flatter lands below. Tom Spellman lived in Upland and was the manager of LaVerne Nursery when they were still in LaVerne. He discovered a tree in Pomona that survived the 1913 freeze and propagated it as Pomona Sweet Lemon. Tom Spellman now works for Dave Wilson Nursery, which is why the descriptions from LaVerne and Dave Wilson sound the same.

I bought two that were propogated by LaVerne mostly to try to determine if the sweet lemon growing in my backyard was that cultivar. I find them interesting at times and very blah at others. I would NOT buy one thinking you are getting a less tart lemon, as it is way, way less tart. However, Pomona Sweet Lemon mixes well with Eureka & Meyer for Lemonade.

• ocpilot
    8 years ago

I have two (1 in a pot and another still in the nursery pot). Bought them because my kids loved them. Maybe the novelty will wear off as they ate 6 and 4 but it they were pretty cheap.