Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrelwhispererpup

Leaf Flushes

Is there any predictable pattern to these in lemon trees? My Improved Meyer lemon put on several sets of leaves earlier and now is just sitting there marking time. While it was busy growing those new sets of leaves, my Lisbon lemon just sat there. Now my Lisbon has a ton of new growth that seems to have emerged overnight, leaving the Meyer in the dust. Both are in 15 gallon containers side by side on the patio getting the same amount of sun, water, and fertilizer. Do they have a schedule based on the variety or is this something that's random? How many flushes should I expect from them? Both were purchased from a citrus grower, not a big box store, and while they were in pots at the time of purchase, they clearly had a very young (read: small) root system. I've had them two and a half years and their root system had expanded nicely when I last repotted them in February; they bloomed twice this year but lost all their little fruit, which I attributed to their still not having enough leaves to adequately support any.

Comments (6)

• Clm128
    10 years ago

this is an intresting topic and i look forward to hearing from someone who knows more then myself but i was told once the tree alternates its growth (more so if the container is to large) so that the top grows a bit then the roots grow a bit to catch up.... or maybe the top catches up with the roots im not sure which way it works but maybe one of the more experienced people here can help clarify :)

as for the container size i was told if the container is to big the roots will grow first before u see new growth up top, but again im not 100% sure

chris

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    10 years ago

No pattern, your experience is completely normal. Citrus keeps you guessing. Generally, the roots grow first, then the leaves. If it gets enough food and water, it will produce fruit.
    Transplanting/re-potting or moving it will make it appear to be stagnant while it rebuilds the root system.
    I stared at a young Lisbon "stick" (in the ground) with no leaves for nine months; it was about 1 1/2 ft. tall. 3 years later and after two moves it is 6 ft. tall and wide, and has ~ 12 lemons on it.
    Patience !

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Your citrus tree are very lucky to live in a free county. If they lived in china.......... lol

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Well, it isn't completely random; and as most here know, I am a one trick pony; i.e., I mostly know about Meyer lemons planted inground.

First "rule"... A Meyer will need about 1.5 times the fertilizer another lemon or "lime" will need.
    2nd "rule"... A producing Meyer needs an NPK ratio of 3-1-2, not the traditional citrus ratio of 5-1-3.
    3rd "rule"... First the roots grow and then the leaves and branches. A Meyer will typically do well if it has a plant to root ratio of 4:1; if that is out of balance for one reason or another, it will "attempt" to restore that ratio.

I'm not sure about container Meyers... there are others here who know better and will give you better advice; but for inground Meyers, every time you fertilize them AT THE DRIPLINE, they will grow new roots and soon will grow new flushes.

I am not sure; but what I THINK from reading here is that most container growers fertilize every time they water. I don't personally; but I ain't no container guru.

• squirrelwhispererpup
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the responses. I am new to citrus and yes I am impatient! An elderly neighbor with a mature in ground Meyer has more lemons than she can use and I suppose it brought out the competitor in me...I was interested in the concept that the pot could be too big and would like to understand more about that if possible.

• Clm128
    10 years ago

the concept of the pot being to big is that the roots dont reach the bottom and hense extra water sits there and causes root rot. personally in my opinion i never understood this theory because if the roots dont reach there then how can the waters thats there be causing them to rot. i have a few trees and im by no means an expert but iver really never seen a major differeance or experienced any troube between getting a pot thats much larger or a pot thats only an inch or two bigger. all my trees seem to be happy and growing none the less.
    cheers,
    chris