Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miamijoe13

Clementine Tree

miamijoe13
9 years ago

Got this Clementine Tree online back in March its doing very well, wondering when I should put it in a larger pot.....and there it willl stay. I have to bring it in when the weather gets colder, live in South Jersey... I would love any in put on this.. Water it once a week when the soil is dry

Thanks Joe

Comments (11)

• scottsmith
    9 years ago

Did you re-pot it in March?

• miamijoe13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it came in a very small plastic container. I put it in this pot in March.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

It will do fine in that container. The color of the container is good to repel solar heat. You might want to wrap the pot sides with aluminum foil to reflect excess heat. Some put tree in a larger pot so the sun doesn't heat thee's pot up. I place my pots in the watermelon patch so the pot and soil surface are in shade all day but keep the vines off to keep my tree's foliage in full sun light.

If you plan to let the tree go semi-dormant over the winter, wait till next spring to re-pot. I grow my trees in closed light containers, and find that transplanting in the fall works much better.

check out link to see lighting systems I use for different size trees.

The picture is of an aluminium foil lined 5 gallon buckets with an 18 watt daylight CFL stilted to enclose my tree. Farther to the right is the vacuum chamber I place my tree on top of and I use my vacuum cleaner to pull air through the small hole at the bottom. I do this after a complete soaking to get the excess water out. This prevents root root and supplies fresh air every morning when I suck air through.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/library/GROW%20BOX%204%20BY%204%20BY%20X?sort=4&page=1

• miamijoe13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much! Lots of great info!

• miamijoe13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well was going to bring plant inside during the winter and keep moist by spraying leaves since the tree really likes the humid weather...try to give it as much sun light as I can and if not use grow light to help..

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Citrus don't need to be misted. They do fine in dry air. Think of all the citrus groves in Southern California, which has dry desert-like air. They can adapt to all kinds of air moisture, from heavy humidity in Florida to dry air in CA.

And if you are in Miami, if I were you, I'd leave the tree outside all year. If you have it in a well-draining mix, the rain won't bother it. You have great citrus growing weather, why put yourself through the trouble of trying to grow an outside tree inside when you don't have to. In areas where it freezes and snows, they don't have a choice. Why make work for yourself?

• miamijoe13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I need to change my user name miamijoe live in New Jersey:) Use to live there...so as I am sure you know the winters in Jersey can get very cold. So I was going to move it in went the temp falls below 40degrees. Keep in next to a window... and maybe a grow light. Thanks for taking the time to reply; Jersey Joe

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Oh, sorry. I guess I was also misled by your zone posted as zone 10, which is a lot of Florida I think.

But I still don't think you need to mist it inside either. Probably wouldn't hurt it though.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I foliar feed my trees through misting. This seems to work real well. This way I can give the "cooler in winter" root zone fresh water and lessen the chance of root rot and other problems that can occur during the winter. The tree's roots can not use the rich feed water fast enough and the roots are too wet for too long. My trees were grown in buckets like the one above with some of them 4 buckets tall. My goal was to get sizable trees in 2 year and then grow them visibly in decorative areas in my house. While the bucket lights won't apply to you, by misting my trees with citrus feed I have always gotten the most growth through November to April

Steve

The tree below is about 10 months old since sprouting from seed

• miamijoe13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes my bad .......zone 7a, and wow that tree looks great. I will use all your advice, and will email you thought the winter with pics

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I live in zone 7 and keep my Satsuma in a heated garage (55 degrees) during winter. It gets some light from fluorescents and a south window. Does really well and I usually get a nice crop of fruit.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area