Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best by test

Posted by Johnmerr none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 20:52

When I first began to grow Meyer lemons in Guatemala, my family and friends told me that Guatemalans preferred the Persa lemon (Persian/Tahitian lime) or criollo lemon (key/Mexican lime) because of the more tart flavor.
I said, people who "prefer" other lemons either do not know the Meyer, or cannot get it. Two weeks ago one of my two Persas at my Meyer farm finally began to produce after 5 years (my Meyers give you harvestable fruit in 18 months). My wife asked me to bring some to the house; because some people preferred them. I brought 30 lemons; and after two weeks they are drying/rotting on the counter... no one has eaten a single one. Why? Because they have Meyers. In my home garden I have a Persa at the side of a younger and much smaller Meyer; the Persa, after 5 years produces less than 10 fruits per year while the Meyer produces more than 100. Next week the Persa comes out to be replaced by another Meyer; that will make 3 in my home garden; and even though Guatemala is a hard core lemon culture (lemon on EVERYTHING), we will never have to buy another lemon.
The last time we sent Meyers to Berlin for the Fruit Logistica show, a world famous chef told the media, "When I can get Meyers, I don't even consider another lemon in any of my kitchens. In Guatemala today not one of my friends or family eats any lemon besides Meyer.
Once you know the Meyer, no other lemon will ever be good enough for you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best by test

Love those Meyers and so envious!
My four Myers were 90% defoliated last December and lots of the bark split so they are regrowing with only a few lemons on each. Interestingly, the one on Mac rootstock has the most lemons! (I recall that is what you use - correct?)

I don't think my area passes the famous John "rule of thumb"!
- George

o

I am very familiar with the Danville area; home of the greatest Arabian stud of all time, Serafix. Macrophylla is best suited to hot climates, but should do well in Danville.

Not sure why Danville would not pass the John "rule of thumb" test; must have something to do with the people who settled there.... seems to me a large concentration of Scandinavians, who have little experience with citrus.

Who knows? Every one I have known from Danville has had Scandinavian ancestry... coincidence???

o

John,
How do you think a Meyer would do in the coachella valley? I have a eureka lemon that has never really done well and I'm thinking about yanking it out and replacing it with a Meyer. Only problem is, the only Meyers I can find are on c-35 rootstock, which isn't bad but I'd like to see if I could find one on macro if you say it's good for the heat. It's supposed to hit 117 F on Thursday so I want to make sure whatever I plant will withstand the heat. I would put it in ground and it would be on my drip system with the rest of my citrus trees in loamy sand soil. I'd like to know your opinion since you ARE the Meyer king of the world. Thanks.
Evan

o

Not John, but am in S. California. C35 rootstock is one of the best rootstocks for S. California, Evan. And, a Meyer lemon should do quite well in your area. Just be sure you provide enough water and enough fertilizer, especially if your soil is on the more sandy side, as you'll lose a fair amount of fertilizer during watering. And, providing some afternoon shade isn't a bad idea, especially for young citrus trying to get established.

Patty S.

o

You might check Citrus Tree Source in Exeter; one of the rootstocks they use is Macrophylla; and CTS is where I got my first Meyers from California.

o

Yikes, George! Frost? Sorry to hear about it. I had 3 Meyers in Berkeley for decades and they just slammed out hundreds of juicy lemons practically year-round.

John, you are right about the taste - nothing beats a Meyer lemon.

This post was edited by serge94501 on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 10:45

o

Nice John!

Do you realize that I have yet to taste a Meyer?

I think I will finally give it a try over my fish which never occured to me instead of just a regular lemon..

I wish I could see your fields and experience your warmth by the time the end of next months comes..I am beginning to hate living this far up north.

Mike

o

Thanks patty, I have some citrus already on c-35 and it does do well here in the desert, was just curious about the macro. I will try the c-35 rootstock Meyer, I am going to wait until late winter/ early spring though, it's just too darn hot to try and plant anything and hope that it survives this inferno I live in. I already had to cover the few trees I planted earlier this year because they started to get sun scorched but almost everything I planted this year is having a growth flush right now. Mike I will trade you weather for the next 6 weeks if you'd like!
Evan

o

Evan,

Macrophylla loves hot weather and is resistant to a lot of things. C35 is not bad; but does not have the aggressive growth habits of Macro. In your microclimate I would definitely opt for shade cloth; it is a small investment and only needed when your trees are small/young.

This post was edited by Johnmerr on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 12:44

o

Thanks John, I will keep an eye out for a Meyer on macro this winter. And the shade cloth has really saved all of my little new trees this summer. Some of the leaves that were hanging out from the shade cloth exposed to mid day sun were fried by our 119F temps on Wednesday and 122F temps on Thursday. I'm really hoping we don't have many more days like that this summer. Just biding my time until fall when I can actually go outside and enjoy my yard!
Evan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here