Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat Impacting Flowering?

Posted by jerry_d Illinois 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 20:56

Just wondering if the hot summer we are having has any bearing on the lack of flowers on my citrus this year. My plants (calamondin, Meyer Lemon, and Bearss Lime) all look great but are not flowering at all this summer. They are on my balcony again under the same conditions that they have experienced in years past with one exception - it's much hotter on the balcony this summer than in the past. The afternoon temperatures in the sun are over 100F on most days and the overnight temps have often stayed around 80F.

Is this heating preventing my citrus from blooming? Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Jerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat Impacting Flowering?

Here's a picture of my calamondin last winter loaded with fruit.and now out on my balcony without flowers or fruit.

o
RE: Heat Impacting Citrus Flowering?

Here's my calamondin and Meyer lemon, both without flowers and fruit on my balcony.

o

i'm not 100% but i dont think the heat will keep citrus from blooming.

reasons for saying that,
1. my meyer has bloomed in the spring and in the fall.
2. this year 2 out of 4 of my mature citrus bloomed.

o

Houston, you're right. When I examined my calamondin this morning, I was delighted to find that it is loaded with flower buds... It's right on schedule!

Jerry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here