Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trifoliate orange (Hardy orange!)

Posted by mainblaine456 5 maine (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 21:11

Has anyone grown the trifoliate orange also called bitter orange in zone 5, or anywhere in Maine? It is said to be hardy to zone 5, but I have never seen one. I think it would be cool to be the first one in town to grow this exciting new plant!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trifoliate orange (Hardy orange!)

I thought very seriously about including one in my tropicalesque bed but upon closer investigation ultimately found that they are a very unattractive plant.
Go for it for the novelty but don't put it somewhere for public viewing :)

o

• Posted by citrange South UK, z%3D8a%3F (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 9:53

"a very unattractive plant"
I completely disagree with this.
Beautiful spring flowers, attractive autumn fruit, striking long thorns and deep green winter stems. What more could you want?
Certainly put it somewhere for public viewing - people are amazed to see 'oranges' growing in cold climates!

Here is a link that might be useful: Poncirus trifoliata

o

Agreed. They are gorgeous when they flower. Put the trees out front, let people pick them (trying to get free fruit without asking), they won't be back to get at your good stuff :P

o

Trifoliate orange is not a new plant. It has been around for a long time, and is used as rootstock for sweet oranges and mandarins. It is cold hardy to -15 degrees, and resistant to root rot and crown rot, which is why it makes a good rootstock. In colder climates, it is grown as an ornamental. It will lose it leaves in the winter, but the blossoms in the spring can be attractive. Watch out for the large thorns. The fruit is not tasty.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

o

Thanks for the replies and I agree it is an attractive tree I would want to show off. I just don't know if I have any more room in my yard for a tree! I will find somewhere!!

o

I don't think they will reach maximum size that far north.

I think the naked branches with the yellow/orange fruit in the fall is very ornamental.

o

People grow it here in the south for an ornamental, too! I especially like the Flying Dragon. It's hard to find in nurseries, though. But it has naturalized here and I see it in fields, along fencelines, out in the country a lot. Rishel, you're right, anyone who steals the fruit won't be back for more!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here