Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Citrus Tree and Growth from root stock

Posted by csetz5877 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 21:17

I had clementine tree that didn't do well with the last winter. (one day of freeze in Florida and it all dies). Anyways, there was amazing growth that appears on it this spring. I looked closer at it and the growth is all below the graph. I don't know what it was graphed with, but I'm guess some type of sour root stock.

So my question is, since all the growth is below the graph, is it worth keeping hte tree. I heard it was likely to show good growth for some time, but will probably not bloom. If that is the case, I just want to get rid of it and get another. Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks - Chad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Citrus Tree and Growth from root stock

it'll bloom and fruit, but wont be sweet.

o

The rootstock is chosen fro its hardiness, so it survived the frost even though the graft didn't. The fruit will not measure up to your Clementine. that's why almost all citrus is grafted - the root are chosen for their ability to resist disease and cold, and the graft is chosen for flavor.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

o

Chad, you will basically be growing an ornamental tree as the fruit is not likely to be of any value. If you have the space for that, great. But many would choose to remove that tree.

o

Well, I suppose if a grower were proficient, he or she could re-graft or re-bud to the same rootstock, but that would be for someone with advanced skills.

o

Well, I suppose if a grower were proficient, he or she could re-graft or re-bud to the same rootstock, but that would be for someone with advanced skills.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here