Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white paste on TOP of mandarin leaves

Posted by Mzshante none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 21:34

I saw posts for white stuff on the underside of leaves but this stuff is on top of the leaves on my plant. I've tried googling it but can seem to find out what it is there no scales and it doesn't appear to be an aphid. also a couple of leaves with what appear to be on or two sprinkles of pepper. I noticed the pepper sprinkles about a week ago and now this goop appeared this morning. was not there yesterday. also new leaves are growing but the ends turn black and wilt away. its a young tree so I don't know if it is supposed to have fruit yet but I noticed very tiny balls of what I thought would have grown into fruit but are brown and dried out. please help.

ps there were three leaves affected by the white stuff, I cut them off and after taking a photo I burned them in case it was some sort of egg as I didn't want it to spread. I also have a 7 foot lemon tree but I don't think it's affected yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white paste on TOP of mandarin leaves

It looks to me like it is some sort of moth cacoon. In that case, if I am correct, you might be able to just pick the cacoon off. Regarding the fruit, if it is a young tree, the fruit does not always reach maturity. Sometimes it just falls off. It's a natural response because the tree might not be quite old enough yet to handle fruit production.

Kristopher

o

Likely a spider "house"

o

The curious amongst us want you to dissect these things....now! Put a couple of the most promising leaves in the freezer for an hour or so (after inserting them in a plastic bag) and gently pull them apart with with toothpicks or similar....if you don't want to use your fingers.

Then, take pictures.

o

There's just a simple something pupating in there- rub it off with your fingers and go on about your day.
Nature is fun- don't be scared :)
Not every bug is a catastrophe requiring incineration.

o

Nothing pupating there. Certain spiders make hide-a-ways like that.

o

well those leaves have been destroyed, rhizo and I haven't seen anymore since. If I do I'll do as you suggest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here