Houzz Logo Print
tcamp30144

my first love is citrus but this is to cool

My avocado seed sprouted today
Trace

Comments (19)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Hi Tracy Your sprout looks good and healthy.

I grew an avocado 2 years a ago. I too was so surprised to see how the seed just split. They get very large and can reach 90 feet. There are cultivars that are hardy to the high teens and others that are dwarf. good luck with yours.

I have found that Poncirus and kumquat trees need more acidity and a closer to a 12, 12,12 fertilizer. I used a 10-10-10 and I am getting some growth on my mewa and3 PT seedlings

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 23:17

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome Steve I'm glad ure kumquats are doing better what happend to your avocados
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

by fall it was 8 ft tall and in ground. Then came the second most days below 0 in one year with a -6, -6, -6, -5. I simply could not deal with a tree that size inside. Put your tree in your GH and plant it in ground next year, sit back and enjoy. It will be killed at 31 degrees.

Something keep digging up my poncirus seedlings. If I see a good deal on a kumquat tree I buy a grafted tree. That should produce pleanty of scion wood for better grafting attempts.

Steve

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Very fun, Trace. Just so you know, any sprouted avocado seed will be a hybrid of the mother plant, and the pollinator parent, so the fruit would be cross of those two cultivars. May be good, may be marginal. And, it will take about 7 to 15 years for the tree to produce fruit (somewhat like citrus seedlings). But, they're fun to sprout, no doubt. And, you can top the tree's central leader to force lateral growth if it gets too tall.

Patty S.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank all steve u can get kumquats for harris citrus in flordia for 20 and 13 ahipping.
    Trace

Original Author
    9 years ago

Just 7 days growth wow!
    Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 1:19

Original Author
    9 years ago

It seams happy
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Don't you wish our kumquat tree grew like that. I tried to take my kumquat back for a refund and they told me I had to bring back a lot more the the seed skin.

Steve

Original Author
    9 years ago

Still growing
    Trace

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Wonderful Trace...Fantastic work!

Mike

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Trace,
    Fun exercise; but if you want avocados, buy a grafted tree, or, when this one gets bigger graft it to a known variety.
    Avocados grown from seed have a less than 1 in 4 chance of ever producing fruit. First there is the male/female flower issue; if the male is fertile and the female is not, no fruit; if the female is fertile and the male is not, no fruit; if they are both infertile, no fruit; only when both are fertile do you have a chance to get fruit. Actually, it is worse than that because you have the issue of Type A and Type B male flowers that open at different times of the day... possibly at different times than the female flower; but that is way beyond the scope of this forum. BTW my Mother once grew an avocado tree from seed; I told her all the above, but when her tree produced fruit, she said, "See, you were wrong!" Adding additional trees greatly increases your odds of fruit; or if you have other avocado trees close by.

Original Author
    9 years ago

JUst fun to grow thanks all for comments johnmeer I dont really expect fruit just seeing if I can grow it and how big it gets. Thnk u for the knowledge.
    Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 23:44

Original Author
    9 years ago

Papaya. Tree
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Your papaya will have to go in the greenhouse AND you will have to heat the roots this fall. All my papaya trees died of root rot inside my greenhouse. I did't heat the roots

Steve

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Steve I have heating pads for them but thanks for heads up. Sorry to hear about your papayas. Hows the kumquats.
    Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 23:27

Original Author
    9 years ago

Update on alvocado tree pinched off top so it would branch out and so far no branches.
    Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 16:43

Original Author
    9 years ago

Alvocado tree update.
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Trace your tree looks real nice. They sure do grow fast. It should do real nice as a potted plant. I think you are too far north to in ground it.

I was just weeding my garden and found this hiding underneath the weeds and it was alive. I believe it sprouted from my kitchen scraps. I dump them on my roof under plant foliage. See pic

Steve

Original Author
    9 years ago

Pineapple cool thanks Steve.
    Trace