Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fruit on young meyers lemon

Posted by steverea 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 22:07

This is my 2nd summer with a meyer lemon in a half wine barrel. It seems to be doing very well overall. It had a bunch of flowers in the spring which set but then the fruits don't grow then they die and fall off. It still has 3 fruits that look like they might make it. I'm guessing that this is maybe normal for such a young plant, but that is my question, is this normal because it is a young plant.

The plant looks really healthy on top but I have noticed a few yellowing leaves on the bottom. I've read they like a lot of nitrogen. Should I stick with a high nitro fertilizer thought out the growing season? I try to stick with the organic fertilizers and have been giving an extract of compost, worm castings, kelp and a high nitro fertilizer like bat or seabird guano once a week, and watering deep twice a week. It's pretty hot here right now. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fruit on young meyers lemon

Sounds like you might be overfeeding your tree. The normal citrus NPK ratio is 5-1-3; but the Meyer is a heavy feeder and producer, so something like 6-2-4 is better. It is normal for young trees to drop fruit; 3 on a 2 year old tree is okay; any more than that I would probably advise you to take them off to allow the tree to grow.
One thing I have observed with Meyers is that if you give them too much nitrogen during the bloom period, the tree will often drop the blossoms in favor of growing leaves and branches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here