Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heyjude2012_gw

What is this????

HeyJude2012
10 years ago

My potted Mexican lime tree is finally having some flowers and I was looking through the leaves and saw these things. At first i thought they were lady bugs but no such luck. It seems to be on one branch only. I picked a couple off and there didn't seem to be anything in them. Is it a scale? Do I just pick them off or do I need to spray with something?

I've spent the last two days picking off pear sawfly larvae of my Asian pear tree. :( Jude

Comments (7)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Can't tell for sure, but it does look like some sort of scale, Jude. Have you seen ants or black sooty mold as well on your tree? And yes, Pear Sawfly is a real issue here in San Diego county. With mature pear trees, not such a big deal, but for young trees with few leaves, they can skeletonize a tree pretty quickly.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Brown Scale

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    10 years ago

It does look like scale to me. pick them off right away and if the temperatures are low enough treat with oils. Search this forum for scale / mealy bugs and you should find plenty of advice.
    good luck!

• HeyJude2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!!! I will pick and spray. And research...I love reading through old postings. So much to learn.

I didn't know scale came in red. They sure look big, fat and healthy. If only my limes looked like that...except in green :)

Patty...no sooty mold. Ants everywhere. I did buy some Borax to make the borax/sugar bait but I just hadn't gotten to it yet.

Luckily the sawfly larvae are easy to see and easy to pick off. So bizarre looking!!!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

There are thousands of species of scale! Horticultural oil is the way to go but you MUST read and follow the label instructions, especially regarding temperature.

As an aside, sawfly larvae are quite easy to control with plain, commercial insecticidal soap applications. You can even knock them down with a fairly sharp spray from the hose.

• HeyJude2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good morning everyone...thank you for all of the advice.

I'm doing the jet waterhose spray with a sharp stick follow up on the Asian pear tree and I'm doing the pick away at the scale with an alcohol swab follow up with the scale. Seems to be getting it in control. If the scale continues to be a problem, I will use the oil.

Patty....are you getting any good sun? This may gray/June gloom has extended into July and now August. I love being cooler but it sure is odd weather.

I did get my first ever ripe fig yesterday!!! I'm going to have it for breakfast this morning. :)))

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Hi All

I jet spray my plants ever day in the morning so the sun has time to dry thing out.. This being the second best organic control I have. Number one is hand killing and number 3 is soap and water.

Steve

• jacqueinthegorge
    10 years ago

Voice of experience here - yes, handpicking will help immensely, but odds are you will never see the "crawlers" - the immature stage of the insect, which are very tiny. To really get rid of the scale, you will need horticultural oil. I use handpicking as a stopgap until the temp is right for oil application. Follow the directions exactly.