Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redfoxva

Citrus in VA

redfoxva
13 years ago

Hi there, I am an amateur gardener in coastal virginia who wishes to grow some citrus, especially hard to find varieties. I am planning on potting a Moro Blood Orange Dwarf from Four Winds growers, can anyone recommend them? My other question is, I know somewhat beaten to death, is the possibility of growing Yuzu or Satsuma here. We rarely get below 0ºF here for extended periods, but have VERY hot summers with several days of 101ºF a year. I can see Yuzu being very hardy here, with adequate protection for a few years (Mulching, X-mas lights and even frost covers) But satsuma would be good too. I want to know if anyone else has attempted this, and any advice ?

Comments (10)

• mgk65
    13 years ago

Check out the link below for info in yuzu and satsuma in SC.

Four Winds has a very good reputation.

Here is a link that might be useful: mckenzie farms

• User
    13 years ago

If you have good soil and a good microclimate (south side of building, etc.), I bet you could pull it off the Sasuma in coastal Va. Also, you might consider kumquats--very hardy, pest resistant (especially compared to true Citrus), and relatively miniature so even easier to protect in the event of rare, extreme cold.--They, like the Satsuma also are known for holding on to their fruit for a long time. I love them! Good luck!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hey there, Redfox!

I live in Mandarin country, here in the California foothills, and it definitely
    breaks 100°F every summer. Our cold (18°F this winter) isn't as cold as yours, though,
    so you'll need a protection plan.

I bought my first citrus this spring - a Four Winds Blood orange - and I couldn't be happier.

Josh

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

I live in zone 7b (Raleigh NC) and there are quite a few people growing citrus outdoors. Some protect them with fancy pipe and plastic sheeting structures some just cage them with fenching wire panels and wrap them in plastic, others do very little. A lot of citrus can handle the winter cold. The tree may survive but the fruit won't. Most citrus bloom in the winter and the fruit take all year to ripen, so most are winter ripening also. All of the zone-pushing citrus growers I know end up rushing out to harvest unripe fruit most winters - that's a lot of lemonade and not a lot of sweet eating fruit. It appears that once every 5 years a decent harvest can be had with minimal winter protection.

• jacklord
    13 years ago

I reside in Maryland just outside of DC and am in the formative stages of doing the same thing as you.

Firstly, 4 Winds is great. I bought 3 trees from them including a Yuzu. No gripes.

I also have a Thomasville Cintrangequat that I procured from Stan at McKenzie Farms. I also recommend Stan. Great guy. I am also going to procure a Morton Cintrange and a Citrumelo from him.

I am pontificating on a Satsuma or a second Yuzu.

My strategy is to spread the risk. The three from McKenzie should, all things being equal, eventually adapt and maybe stand on their own. The Yuzu might need permanent protection. The Satsuma would certainly need it forever.

I would like to plant them next spring. I am experienced in protecting palms, but now I would have double the number to nurture.

If you do not mind protecting trees yearly, then the answer is yes. Where are you exactly? I imagine your climate is milder than mine. All these trees do fine in Virginia Beach for instance.

Do a search and there is a guy here who has planted a Yuzu and a Thomasville in DC.

The Yuzu fascinates me. Not sure why as I did not even know it existed until about 5 months ago.

• mrtexas
    13 years ago

Good luck. 10F for 24 hours will kill all citrus hardy or not. You will have to protect for freezes of any sort for longer than 8 hours or less than 20F.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold hardy citrus, a myth?

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

Thank you MrTexas. If citrus would reliably survive outside in cold, temperate climates like Virginia, you would see them in yards everywhere as you drive down the street. Minimum temperatures may be similar, but the winters are considerably milder in south Georgia, south Alabama and South Mississippi as compared to coastal Virginia. We have fewer cold days and nights and they are interspersed with warm days and nights. You don't see citrus growing in our yards because eventually they will be killed.

• jacklord
    13 years ago

I meant to say, "is going to be a death sentence."

• bbrown0111_live_com
    12 years ago

Im growing citrus some yuzus outside in sandbridge va. in my 15 years of living in va beach i have never seen the temp at my house (100 ft from the ocean) go past 18F