Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soozifroozi

Pine Bark Fines

soozifroozi
10 years ago

Hi, everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me find pine bark fines in Northern Virginia. I have spent at least 3 months trying to find the elusive ingredient for Al's Gritty Mix and have had no luck.
Thank you,
Soussan.

Comments (10)

• 7deuce
    10 years ago

I get them at Agway. They are in the blue bag called pine bark mulch. It is very good quality and size. Very little wood.

• baconquest
    10 years ago

Definitely will agree with the agway brand. If you have trouble tracking that down though, I often use Timberline Pine Bark Mulch. Its available at Home Depot or Lowes and I've even seen it at the grocery store on occasion. If you're making 5-1-1 just be sure to screen it to get rid of the big chunks of bark and sapwood. I just use 1/2" chicken wire, which is also available at home depot for about 5 bucks.

• soozifroozi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info., 7 deuce and baconquest. I shall try and find it here in NVA. I was at Home Depot and Lowes yesterday, and I don't remember seeing any Agway products.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Sooz, the Agway brand will be at the Agway store itself...

It's great stuff and I totally agree with the above said! It is made of 'Southern Pine Bark' known to very slowly compost or break down as compared to regular pine.

Also you really don't have much sifting to do other than take a few bigger pieces out for the 5.1.1

As for the griitry?
    I sift out all the very fine stuff and pieces bigger than a 1/4 inch...

A bit more expensive than typical pine bark mulch at about 8 dollars a bag.

Don't forget to lime..:-)

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 12:43

• soozifroozi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello, meyermike,

Thanks for your post. I have just about given up hope of finding the pine bark fines. I bought some the other day (Pine Fines Soil Conditioner) at $6.99, which, after having started to sift, found that it was not what I wanted and just spread it out in the garden. I have not heard of Agway store, but will try, and I'm afraid that if I cannot find it, or Pine Fines, I will just have to revert to my old way of mixing my own soil. It's a pity, as I still have a lot of turf ace and the grit from the last batch of gritty mix that I made. The nursery where I had bought it from has since closed.

Soussan.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

soozi,

Check out Burke Nursery. They have bags of pine bark fines. Not sure if you'll need to screen them though. Might be worth the trip to find out. They can't be too expensive.

• soozifroozi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave, thanks. I shall try and get there soon, and hopefully it'll be the right size...

Soussan.

10 years ago

soozi,

I just bought some from there the other day. I was not impressed. It was more like pine mulch. It would have to be screened to get them to be uniformed. ...unless the guy loaded the wrong bag.

• soozifroozi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave, thanks for letting me know....I was planning on going there tomorrow, but now I think I'll forget about it...it's not very close to where I am. The search will go on! Thanks again,

Soussan.

10 years ago

Well, this is the only place I've found them, but like I said, they'd have to be screened for the gritty mix.

I don't have the time to screen soils, but maybe you do. I think if you could screen out smallest dust and the largest chunks it would probably work well.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor