Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Loving my potted Oro Blanco grapefruit :)

Andrew Scott
10 years ago

Hi everybody! I am happy to report that my 'Oro Blanco' grapefruit, is blooming now like crazy! In terms of blooming alone, I would have a hard time choosing between the two!

I bought my tree 2 years ago from Four Winds after Meyer Mike had posted pictures of his, and how he said that the flowers were large and highly fragrant. Well, I have to agree 100%! I can be within 10 feet of my tree and smell the heady fragrance. I love the shiny green leaves and I cannot wait to enjoy the fruits. Last year I pruned my tree back pretty hard in an attempt to get it to fill in, and as a result, I didn't see much for blooms. This year has ben a completely different story! My tree is not quite 3ft tall yet but it has flower clusters on almost every tip.

I will need to repot the tree this year, as the bark is starting to break down, and I don't want the roots to rot.

I also have been feeding this tree( along with all my others) white vinegar and Miracle Grow acid. I have been concerned that this is not going to be a good year for all my plumeria, but my citrus all seem to be doing really well.

I hope everyone has a great 4th of July!

Andrew

Comments (2)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hey Andrew! NOt only have I been away as well as you, but have not spoken to you forever!
    E-mail me soon sometime.

I am so happy you are thrilled with your tree. I am about to repot mine in a tall beautiful pot in a day or two over the Hoiliday! I will show you picks soon.
    I would LOVE to see pics of yours too:-)

By the way, I finally succummed to a Mango, about 2 feet high and it is already flowering..lol

Missing you around these parts and I hope you, your back, plants and life has been deserving of happiness:-))))))))))))

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG this is so ironic buddy! Laura Jones and I were just talking about you, and how we both have missed you! I don't have your email anymore(I'm sorry) and I need to contact you about some jades.

My Red Horn is growing very well. I still have 2 of them, and then the Japanese hybrid is also starting to do better but it is taking much more time to grow.

Well I wont say anymore about anything that is O.T. I dont want to upset anyone. I know that it can offend some people when others do this.

My citrus have really been rebounding for me. I am sad to say that my 'Kishu' is the only real loss that I have. It's just a stick but there is new growth coming on above the graft. I need to learn how to propagate like you have. I also want to buy a seedless navel orange but I need to talk with you about that too. I found a local nursery that is selling grafted citrus in the same pots that we get from Four Winds but these pots are about 3x's the size of the smallest size you can get from Four Winds. Anyhow, the trees average about 2-3ft tall and are selling for $30. There are mandarins(but not kishu), navels, valencia(never have tried them but not too fond of the fruits anyhow), meyers, and a few others that I am forgetting. I also saw.....grafted OLIVE trees! I always thought that they would be fun to try but there darn chilling requirement is what has stopped me. I just don't think I could meet that requirement, BUT they are self pollinating!

Thanks for responding Mike. I am so glad to hear from you. I have to admit, I was really starting to get worried. You usually post more often and I had not seen a thing. I did see that someone had posted something about your where abouts, or if anyone had heard from you.

Take care!
    Andrew

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio