Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kumquat leaf drop and possible disease

Posted by MossyPants 10b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 23:21

I am new to growing citrus and I think I've got a sickly plant. I live in San Francisco, and my trees are in a nice, sunny spot in front of my bay window.

I have a Meiwa kumquat that I got from Home Depot, it is about 2 feet tall. I've had it for about 3 months and it seemed to be doing fine, and all of a sudden about two weeks ago, it started dropping lots of leaves daily. It is in the same soil with the same fertilizer as it has been since I first got it and replanted it (just a mix of potting soil and MiracleGro citrus soil, and some MiracleGro citrus fertilizer...I know, nothing fancy, but my Meyer lemons seem to like it ok). The kumquat also put out lots of flower buds recently, but they only last for about a day before wilting.

A few days ago I noticed that the leaves at the end of the branches (new growth) have brownish patches on them, these leaves drop a few days after the patches appear. I also noticed some tiny white spots on the leaves and on the branches -- I can blow them away so at first I thought it was just dust...but they are only on new growth, and yesterday I noticed the same white spots on my Meyer lemon tree, which is an adjacent pot. Is this a fungal infection? How should I treat it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kumquat leaf drop and possible disease

Oops, the photo didn't attach on the first try.

o

Any chance of a different angle on the first picture? The lighting obscures the details.

o

I suggest you take the leaves to your agricultural extension agent, or at least e-mail them some good photos. I don't know what that is, but there is a disease that's killing citrus. It's in my area (Texas) but wasn't here a few years ago.

o

Thanks for your replies. Here is another photo of the damaged leaves. By now, they have all fallen off, and most of the remaining leaves have the white, flaky substance that I posted in my previous photos.

I did contact the local extension office, and they said that it looks like aphids (the white stuff is from their molting stages). I've hosed down the tree with water and have been spraying it with some soapy solution, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it helps it retain the few leaves it still has left.

o

Mite damage? I think the little white things could be mites? And the brown patches is the damage?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here