Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My limes are all rind and no meat

Posted by shakell none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 23:43

I have a lime tree that is very healthy. It has dark green leaves and tons of limes. The problem is, when my limes grow, they are all rind with almost no middle to them. I read a few forums that suggested amending w potassium rich soil, which I did last season, but I have the same problem. To make it worse, if I leave the limes on the tree to grow, they reach the size of a small basketball and break off my limbs. I took a picture which I can send, but can't seem to attach it from my phone. It's killing me to have all of these beautiful limes growing with no use for them....unless someone needs zest, then I'm your guy. Can anyone please help?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My limes are all rind and no meat

My mistake....I amended w phosphorus rich soil.

o

Are you sure its a lime tree? Also high P can build up over time in your soil and cause problems. Did you test your soil for NPK first to know that you should of added the P? Maybe your picking them too early? Or maybe its a grapefruit tree?

Basketball sized limes seem pretty large (and cool). I would like to see that! Imagine the size of corona beer needed to accommodate a lime that big!

o

Sounds like a Pomelo to me! Not a lime possibly?

o

First things first... post some photos so we can get an idea of what you have...

Do you know what variety of lime you have, what rootstock it is grafted to, where do you live? Is it planted inground or in container?
Simple stuff like that... there are people here with a lot of experience, very willing to help you; but you are asking for advice given in the dark.

Without knowing anything else, I can tell you that the number one cause of thick skins is too much Phosphorus.

Help us with details, we will help you with advice.

o

shakell, this sure doesn't sound like a lime to me. Please post photos of the tree, the graft line on the trunk (so we know you're not just growing rootstock and the graft has died), the leaves and the fruit. Cut a fruit in half and take a photo of that as well. Sounds like possibly your graft has died, and what you're actually growing is just rootstock.

Patty S.

o

u'll have to upload your pics to a photo hosting site, like imageshack or photobucket. then link the HTML code, not the forum/bbc code.

o

Actually, we now have a new feature here in the "Post a follow up" section, called "Image file to upload"; but I think it only works for one foto.

o

oh wow, i did not notice that at all. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here