Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drew_in_cali

Lemon Tree. Is this a problem?

Drew_in_Cali
10 years ago

Hello all.

I am just getting into gardening and have been coming to this forum a lot for help and ideas. For the most part, I have been growing some leafy greens and small plants (i.e. peppers). Over the last few months I started a couple lemon trees because my SO has always wanted a lemon tree, and am having problems with them. One died, and the two surviving lemon plants have a similar problem. One is being grown in California and the other in New Jersey. They are being grown from seeds from different lemons, which makes me wonder if this is normal, but if it is a problem, I would like to deal with it sooner rather than later. I've read a lot of posts about problems growing out of control, and would like to avoid that.

On the top-most leaf, right side of the leaf, about a third of the way down the leaf there is a spot. What is this spot? When I look at it, it looks kind of like a part of the leaf has caved in...it is a little indentation. There is also a little brown/black thing inside the caved in spot. I trimmed the leaf with the spot off the plant.

The plants in California had similar problems. The normal progression was as follows: small spot on leaf that looks like a cave in, small spot turns brownish, small spot starts to expand and leaf starts to curl, leaf looks dead but still hangs onto plant.

Because of the problems with the California plants, I have tried to be very observant with the New Jersey plant. This morning, I thought I saw a very little black thing inside the leaf. At the time I thought it was just dirt because I repotted the plant yesterday, but now I am a little worried that it might be a leaf miner.

If any of you have seen this before or have ideas on what it might be and how to cure the tree, I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)