Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericksenscott

no new growth

ericksenscott
11 years ago

transplanted a 15 gal full of fruit Wash Navel a month ago and have not seen any new growth.should i be concerned??? and if so i need advise??? also all smaller fruit dying and falling off...im worried that my large fruit will start dying also....need advise???

Comments (7)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

I would not be concerned after only one month.
    As long as you transplanted it properly into the proper soil and care for it properly it will grow when it has settled in. Fruit may drop- it is a lot to ask of a tree to hang on to all its fruit after the upheaval of a transplant.

It is difficult to comment further as you do not mention whether you potted this tree or put it into the ground. Also, some information as regards your location and growing conditions would be very helpful if you would like detailed advice.
    Go to your profile page and just fill in the zone.

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Citrus grow in spurts; but first the roots grow; and after the roots comes the leaves and branches. Your tree is experiencing a bit of transplant shock; some varieties handle it better than others. Your remaining fruits should be okay; Wash. Navels are very efficient self-thinnners; i.e., the tree will drop what fruit it cannot support.

Take care of it well; and the next bloom should come in Spring next year.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Yes, as John stated, mine will drop fruit in can't support. Your tree should be growing at a much faster rate than that though and holding fruit since I find this particular citrus can grow like a weed and is the easiest of the bunch. In fact mine blooms and flushes out several times a year along with constant fruit hanging on.

Is your tree experiencing the heat wave, in which temps are hovering in the nineties or better with lows dropping no lower then the 70's at night?

Are you using an all purpose fertilizer with good macro and micro nutrients?

Is your tree in a very POROUS mix and allowed to dry out rather quickly?

John is dead on about the roots and if your roots are fighting your mix whether do to compaction, heat levels, and or lack of oxygen, then your top growth will be minimized at times until the roots are happy.

Mike

• ericksenscott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I PLANTED A REALLY NICE WASH NAVEL IN THE GROUND ABOUT A MONTH AGO I DUG A HOLE TWICE AS DEEP AND TWICE AS WIDE MIXED NATUAL SOIL WITH MIRACLE GROW CITRIS SOIL WHICH SAYS WILL FERTILIZE FOR THREE MONTHS ALSO MIXED IN MIRACLE GROW CITRIS FERTILIZER HAVE BEEN WATERING ABOUT TWICE A WEEK.HAD ALOT OF FRUIT WHEN I PURCHASED TREE LARGE FRUIT AND SMALL...NOW ALL OF THE LITTLE FRUIT ARE TURNING YELLOW AND BLACKISH AND FALLING OFF...IM AFRAID.DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG??? ALSO THERE IS NO SIGNS OF ANY NEW GROWTH.THE LEAVES SEAM HEALTHY BUT VERY CURLED HAVENT HAD ANY LARGE AMOUNT OF LEAVES FALLING OFF...SHOULDNT I START SEEING SOME NEW GROWTH..??? PLEASE HELP

• ericksenscott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HELP DID FOLLOW UP WITH MORE INFO

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

How often have you been watering?

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Two months is not that long for a tree to settle into a new environment.
    Be patient and stop typing in all caps.