Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
altadenamara

Red Nules?

altadenamara
16 years ago

Has anyone tried this seedless, pigmented mandarin/clementine? It's supposed to be a cross with a Moro blood orange, but similar to a clementine, only later maturing. Sounds interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Nules: A Pigmented Mandarin

Comments (7)

• citrusboy
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Pretty Exciting stuff! Never tried it. Looks like growers are just now being encouraged to purchase from the sole source of trees. Probably be a couple of years before you see one at the market, I suspect.

Thanks for the info!

• joereal
    16 years ago

That is one citrus cultivar that the general public will never own, not even after 20 years. Take note that you can only grow the Red Nules tree for contract growing. You will be selling the fruits back to whoever the patent holders so wishes. In effect, if you are approved for contract growing, you will not own the trees long after the patent has expired as long as the contract growing clause remain in effect. That is one major loophole to the patent law implementation, which I would consider greedy rather than smart. The exclusivity arrangement compared with contract growing is one very ANTI-COMPETITIVE behavior that is designed to fleece out money from consumers for the enrichment of the few people and never for the benefit of many people. We have been crying foul to Microsoft, should we tolerate such arrangements to circumvent the patent laws?

• altadenamara
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How did Willits and Newcomb Citrus Nursery obtained exclusive rights to the budwood from the CCPP? Was there an auction? Did they import the budwood from somewhere, and just had the CCPP clear it from quarantine? Isnt the CCPP a research organization associated with the UC system, tax payer supported?

As wonderful as a red (blood), seedless Clementine is, an even better event would be breeding a red, seedless Clementine(Mandarin) that ripened for the winter holidays, say early to mid December. How would one do that? Perhaps a cross between a Kishu and a Moro, using the embryo rescue technique that has helped develop new cultivars of seedless grapes? Kishu ripens early, with great flavor, but has very few functioning ovules or pollen, so a lot of crosses would be necessary. Would the large fruit size of the Moro be dominant, or the small size of the Kishu? Or is there a different good flavored Clementine or Mandarin that ripens November  December that would be better cross with Moro? Probably would take 20 years to develop.
    ItÂs fun to speculate on the possibilities.

• brancato
    14 years ago

Great post Joe, I couldn't agree with you more about the lack of competition some shady patent deals bring about.

Is there any news on this variety? Is it still only available for contract growing? Are there any other blood/pigmented mandarins out there of good quality? I have heard of Panzarella's raspberry tangor but I get the impression it is not quite an "eat out of hand" type fruit which is what I am looking for.

Joe

• theoriginaldawgone
    10 years ago

sounds like a bunch of whiners that dont get everything they want

Unless you just arrived in america yesterday--get use to it , that is the american way , its called capitalism
    you should be acquainted with it , right-- your a business owner yourself and thats all about making as much money as you can and S*%t on everybody else

Besides- with your connections you have it by now like most of us collectors do

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Okay. Whoa. Any reason why you're dragging out a message thread that is over four years old to scold and criticize our forum members? Probably not very productive or beneficial for the forum, and cursing on the forum is really out of line. If you'd like to participate and be a productive, helpful forum member, then we welcome you. But coming in to bash folks, especially by dredging up a message thread as old as this, without any helpful information is really unnecessary, and outside the GW forum rules.

Patty S.