Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dry, lacking taste, no juice oranges

Posted by madduran z8CA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 07 at 0:00

Help! I have this big orange tree that is about 26 years old. The oranges it produces are dry, lacking taste, no juice. Are the oranges freezing in the winter? But the meat inside is still good, not rotten. But tasteless. Is the tree too old? How can I produce good juicy oranges? I've tried watering it a lot. I tried not watering it, I tried organic mulch with nutrients, I've tried nothing no nutrients. Nothing makes a difference. I cut the tree way way back thinking that the new patch of oranges was going to be different, NOT. got any ideas? maybe there is someone out there that knows something I don't! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dry, lacking taste, no juice oranges

Madduran, did you plant the citrus or was it there when you bought the land?
Did you ever eat oranges from this tree before?
If so, were they sweet/juicy? Do the fruit have a lot of seed? more seed than meat?

A few wks back, I talked to someone who had a similar problem..it turned out the tree that was growing was rootstock. LOL..It grew tall, and had quite a bit of fruit, but each and everyone were seedy and juiceless. Is this a possibility? I sincerely hope not..Toni

o
RE: dry, lacking taste, no juice oranges

Are you trying to eat them right now? if so, the new fruit for this year almost certainly is not ripe yet. The old fruit, now a year and a half old, is way way way over ripe and would be all dry. Pull the old fruit off and let the tree put it's energy into this years crop. Oranges are generaly ripe sometime December to February, or a little later for Valencia types.
Hope that helps
Arthur the date palm guy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here