Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madduran

dry, lacking taste, no juice oranges

madduran
16 years ago

Help! I have this big orange tree that is about 26 years old. The oranges it produces are dry, lacking taste, no juice. Are the oranges freezing in the winter? But the meat inside is still good, not rotten. But tasteless. Is the tree too old? How can I produce good juicy oranges? I've tried watering it a lot. I tried not watering it, I tried organic mulch with nutrients, I've tried nothing no nutrients. Nothing makes a difference. I cut the tree way way back thinking that the new patch of oranges was going to be different, NOT. got any ideas? maybe there is someone out there that knows something I don't! Thanks

Comments (9)

• softmentor
    16 years ago

Are you trying to eat them right now? if so, the new fruit for this year almost certainly is not ripe yet. The old fruit, now a year and a half old, is way way way over ripe and would be all dry. Pull the old fruit off and let the tree put it's energy into this years crop. Oranges are generaly ripe sometime December to February, or a little later for Valencia types.
    Hope that helps
    Arthur the date palm guy

• monzar
    9 years ago

I have several orange trees , they are producing plenty , very juice oranges, but they have no flavor. What could be causing this.?

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

>Pull the old fruit off and let the tree put it's energy into this years cropOnce the fruits were fully formed the energy had already been spent.

• tantanman
    9 years ago

Some seedling orange trees produce very bland fruit. Some give good
    sweet fruit. If you have no graft line it may be a seedling.

Try fruit thinning, and keep it from staying really dry for more than a week in warm weather.

• pip313
    9 years ago

>Pull the old fruit off and let the tree put it's energy into this years cropOnce the fruits were fully formed the energy had already been spent.

Not true there is so much research that confirms leaving fruit on the tree will reduce next years crop. So obviously the tree uses lots of energy to maintain the fruit.

• jackeetj
    8 years ago

My blood orange tree is 7 years old. It produced fruit only three times so far. The crops of oranges were tasteless other than a sweet flavor, but not a good sweet flavor and absolutely no citrus taste. Absent of citrus! The flesh is very pretty , juicy and healthy looking but nasty flavor. My other citrus trees have good fruit. It gets regular water via automatic water system. I use citrus fertilizer as well as 15-15-15. I've tried over fertilizing and under fertilizing.

Could it be missing a particular nutrient? The tree came from a reputable grower. Any ideas? I plan to give it another 2-3 yrs then I'm pulling it. My mothers tree produces the best tasting oranges ever. I want the same!

• tantanman
    8 years ago

pip313:

I have heard the story of the fruit taking much energy to maintain before and don't totally believe that. A much older and more time tested principle is that the tree produces seeds (fruit) to maintain existence of the species. If there is ample supply then there is no need to reproduce more and there is less blossoming. A parallel to this is in the wild trees which produce over abundance in drought stressing years.

jackeetj:

Some blood oranges, especially Moro, turn from sweet and flavorful to overripe and with a strong disagreeable after taste. Climate has a tremendous effect on citrus flavor. Where are you growing this tree? How is the climate compared to normal ?

• pip313
    8 years ago

If that's how you want to look at it but commercial growers know they loose significant production if fruit is left on too long.

some varieties are sold with the explicit warning that they are even more prone than normal.