Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blazeaglory

Asian Citrus Psyllid

blazeaglory
9 years ago

Well you heard it here first folks. Today, after roughly 5-6 years of checking my citrus trees with great results (meaning no pests found) yesterday I found what I thought were yellow aphids. So today I go and have a look and sure enough they were ASP larvae. I found the young adults face down butt up on the leaves, roughly 12 of them.

I clipped the branch that they were on (the only new growth thank god) and put all of them with branch in sealed plastic bags. I also sprayed the immediate area. Tomorrow I go to take them to my local Ag commissioner.

I am %99.9 sure they are ASP as no other bug that I know of has this look. I can only hope they are not carrying HLB.

I check my trees DAILY and have found nothing in 6 years. New growth every year always fills out with no problems (other than the the occasional CLM) but yesterday I found what I have been fearing most, the ASP. I am in OC surrounded by people who import plants illegally from China and other Asian countries. I think soon alot of these people will get a rude awakening because I am afraid alot of different agencies will be visiting each house.

This post was edited by blazeaglory on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 0:31

Comments (4)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Blaze, the ACD has been identified in OC/Riverside county. But, we have NOT had ANY reports of ACD infected with HLB in the entire state of California. Yet. The one instance of HLB discovered in Los Angeles county was an infected scion that had been smuggled into the country from China, and was grafted to an existing tree. Which was cut down. So, it would be highly unlikely that your ACP's are infected, but glad you've called your local ag agent. Time to start treating your trees with imidacloprid regularly, now. Sad, but you now need to control for ACP.

On a very promising note, there has been some breakthrough treatment discoveries recently, for HLB. More testing needs to be done, of course, but this is the most promising research to date, especially for those of us with home orchards. I expect this research to get some fast tracking and additional funding, as it is the closest thing to a realistic and economical treatment option to date.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible Treatment for Citrus Greening

• blazeaglory
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Patty.

Yeah it was funny (well a sad kind of funny anyways), the head of my local Ag dept. said that the pests are now established here in OC and that it is basically nothing to worry about. I was still in panic mode from 2-3 years ago I guess...lol He didnt seem too worried but I told him that I live in the heart of little saigon on Bolsa Ave. and I do know that alot of people around here have their relatives send them all kinds of plant material from home. When I told him that he became quite concerned but said hopefully there is nothing to worry about. I have my fingers crossed that there is no HLB.

I have heard about a special little wasp that seems promising. I read this yesterday, It made me very happy!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/special-features/2014/06/140617-citrus-greening-wasp-california-biocontrol-psyllid-science/

I am going to treat now with the systemic but I am going to try and time it so that it is at the end run of its potency by the time my citrus begin to flower. Do you have any methods or advice? Thanks for the info!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I would talk to your ag agent for appropriate timing. I would try to time application approximately 6 weeks prior to when the ACP likes to attack, and that I am not sure of. If you can time it around CLM pressure, then you can literally kill 2 bugs with one stone. So, I would say your first application should be timed, around beginning to mid-June, then again in 4 months, and another application in another 4 months. Not pleasant to have to use an insecticide, but better to prophylactically protect your trees, as you just never know when we'll see HLB. Most scientists and researchers feel HLB is actually already here, we have just yet to find it. And, with almost conplete certainty, it will first be found in someone's back yard, as all commercial citrus growers in the state of California are already prophylactically treating their orchards for the ACP/HLB.

Patty S.

• blazeaglory
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So something like Bayer systemic would protect against CLM as well? That would be good to know. I did find a website that has lures and traps for CLM and people say they work really well by using pheromones to attract and trap to kill. This company is great but you might already know about it. I dont know if they have anything for ASP.

http://isca-technologies.myshopify.com/collections/cirtus-pests/products/citrus-leafminer-starter-kit

So sad about HLB...That's why I try to look out for symptoms everywhere I go. I would hate to see So. California's backyard culture go to waste. There is nothing like the smell of a citrus blossom or the joy of picking fresh fruit. I just wish people around here would stop importing crap from China and other countries illegally.

Thanks again.

This post was edited by blazeaglory on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 11:25